CrazyBoards.org
sugarsugar

Bipolar plus ADD—how do you tell symptoms apart?

Anyone bipolar plus have ADD issues?  I have been feeling “not right “ and finally made an appointment after some email communications with my pdoc. My pdoc is trying to get what’s going on and needs to see me in person to see if I am describing one, the other, or just what all. I’m not asking for a diagnosis here—but wondering if anyone has both diagnoses how you figure out what’s what or how to describe it so it makes sense to someone.  I feel so unfocused but restless and other things, I don’t want to catalogue my whole symptom list necessarily but I don’t have the insight apparently to sort out what to say to make it clearer to a pdoc what’s up and what meds, if any, might be tweaked. Are there some key symptoms that lead you to know which issue is bothering you?  Does that even make sense? 

• Like 1

It comes down to the persistence of adhd like symptoms in the absence of a mood episode. When stable, if any overlapping symptoms still exist, then it’s probably adhd. If it comes  around  Only during a mood episode then it’s bipolar.

if your insight is poor then someone else might have to tell you how’re behaving or have the doc do it in person.

my doc suspects adhd. When i got/stumbled into mood stabilizers for bp and as i was approaching therapeutic doses, most of my adhd like symptoms went away. Still there but probably subsyndromal if even that

Edited by argh

I have ADD and schizoaffective so I guess that’s close enough. ADD is more noticeable if I’m without any schizoaffective symptoms. RIght now I am not medicated for it so I just have to handle the symptoms on my own. Generally it just means I pay extra close attention to things that aren’t necessarily important and spend gobs of time on said projects. All the while I can’t seem to concentrate well on things that matter and I fall behind quickly. I read 10 books at a time and watch 10 movies at a time, putting things down and picking them up sometimes weeks later. I fall asleep or space out quickly when people talk to me for a long time. That is unless I listen to something that I’m REALLY interested in it. I also have no sense of organisation and I lose things constantly. Something else is that I can’t follow directions for the life of me, I always miss steps and screw up what I’m doing.

Mood wise it’s just an impatience with the pace of life at times and low level irritability with myself or others. I can feel extremely overwhelmed and distressed when I lose things, which is often. When there are a lot of things going on at once and I can’t focus on any one thing, I get that distress as well.

That is helpful, both of you. I’m hoping when I see my pdoc in person he can get a better sense by talking with me. I’m so scattered right now I have a hard time figuring it out plus really I don’t know enough to do my own sorting. So I’ll see what happens. 

1 hour ago, sugarsugar said:

That is helpful, both of you. I’m hoping when I see my pdoc in person he can get a better sense by talking with me. I’m so scattered right now I have a hard time figuring it out plus really I don’t know enough to do my own sorting. So I’ll see what happens. 

For me, the bipolar stuff is usually more at the surface and masks add type issues, so if i feel mood liability that I can usually attribute to the BP, and what is left after my mood and sleep are fine is probably in the add realm 

Ok, my pdoc wanted to see if actually I was depressed. Never thought of that since I don’t recognize anything like that now. So possible ADD issue, and will try adding short acting med and see what happens. Should be interesting.