CrazyBoards.org
CrazyRedhead

Stay with current pdoc or have to give up benzo??

I have finally come to the top of a waiting list for a new pdoc....I've been wanting to change docs for awhile, because my current one basically thinks I'm a hopeless case, and won't let me try any new meds.

Okay--as for the new one that I can now get an appointment with, he doesn't prescribe benzos to anyone....New patients who are already on them would be required to taper off......His nurse who called me explained all this, and asked if I would like to make an appointment.....I asked if I could think about it and call back......She said no problem, but don't wait long, because he does have others in line for waiting list.

I'll be honest, my clonazepam is one of my foundation meds, and I feel it would seriously destabilize me to give it up.

I am on waiting lists for 2 other docs, but both don't expect any new openings until next year.....**SIGH**

I am leaning towards just waiting for one of those docs because I'm extremely scared to get off clonazepam.

Opinions appreciated.....What would you do in same scenario?

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Sad 1

Unless getting off the benzo is a goal of yours, I would probably wait for a different doc who will prescribe. I don't even take my Ativan that often but I would rather not work with a pdoc who excluded an entire class of meds, unless I had no other option.

• Like 2

Thank you, @Juniper29.......I think right now I'm going to wait.....I understand that most pdocs do have their limits on benzos, but excluding them entirely doesn't make much sense to me.

I wonder how many other pdocs won't prescribe them?.....I hope it doesn't become a trend.

• Like 1

@CrazyRedhead

This is my opinion, but I sense a huge amount of red flags with this new pdoc. If he is unwilling to prescribe you benzos, then what else is he unwilling to prescribe? AAP’s off label? Or what next? I’d be very leery. And I too know that klonopin is one of my foundation meds. Without it I am not able to even leave my house. I can’t drive nor do anything really at all but cry from anxiety and panic attacks. I’ve been on it in varying doses from 1 mg - 3 mg for over 11 years now. 

Honestly, if it were me I’d really wait for another pdoc. I know it sucks because the current pdoc you have sucks. But I so hope that one of the other ones will suddenly have an opening for you soon! I know what it feels like though when a pdoc has basically given up on you. Ugh. No easy answers. 

But this new pdoc may just prescribe vistaril in place of benzos. That’s been my experience with anti benzo pdocs. Many times. And IME vistaril just doesn’t cut it. YMMV.

I seriously don’t know why anti benzo pdocs exist. If a patient is on a stable dose and doesn’t keep increasing the dose to an unreasonable amount and has been on it for a decade+ then what’s the big deal? Is the alternative better? Really? Come on. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I have finally come to the top of a waiting list for a new pdoc....I've been wanting to change docs for awhile, because my current one basically thinks I'm a hopeless case, and won't let me try any new meds.

Okay--as for the new one that I can now get an appointment with, he doesn't prescribe benzos to anyone....New patients who are already on them would be required to taper off......His nurse who called me explained all this, and asked if I would like to make an appointment.....I asked if I could think about it and call back......She said no problem, but don't wait long, because he does have others in line for waiting list.

I'll be honest, my clonazepam is one of my foundation meds, and I feel it would seriously destabilize me to give it up.

I am on waiting lists for 2 other docs, but both don't expect any new openings until next year.....**SIGH**

I am leaning towards just waiting for one of those docs because I'm extremely scared to get off clonazepam.

Opinions appreciated.....What would you do in same scenario?

hi. hope things are well. I think you have to ask yourself why are you switching doctors? Is it that you dont feel well now? You dont like your med regime? Your looking for a new approach? If thats the case........then maybe be open to the change.........Maybe he has another way to manage those symptoms. Also......you can discuss that with him. You can express your concerns. Also , you can go to the appointment, see what he says, doesnt mean oyu have to transfer care to him. You can thank him for the opinion, and go back to your other doc.

also FWIW, ive been to 2 different doctors, who i was told up front, they dont prescribe benzos. Low and behold, they had me on benzos.........

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

@CrazyRedhead

This is my opinion, but I sense a huge amount of red flags with this new pdoc. If he is unwilling to prescribe you benzos, then what else is he unwilling to prescribe? AAP’s off label? Or what next? I’d be very leery. And I too know that klonopin is one of my foundation meds. Without it I am not able to even leave my house. I can’t drive nor do anything really at all but cry from anxiety and panic attacks. I’ve been on it in varying doses from 1 mg - 3 mg for over 11 years now. 

Honestly, if it were me I’d really wait for another pdoc. I know it sucks because the current pdoc you have sucks. But I so hope that one of the other ones will suddenly have an opening for you soon! I know what it feels like though when a pdoc has basically given up on you. Ugh. No easy answers. 

But this new pdoc may just prescribe vistaril in place of benzos. That’s been my experience with anti benzo pdocs. Many times. And IME vistaril just doesn’t cut it. YMMV.

I seriously don’t know why anti benzo pdocs exist. If a patient is on a stable dose and doesn’t keep increasing the dose to an unreasonable amount and has been on it for a decade+ then what’s the big deal? Is the alternative better? Really? Come on. 

I don't understand it either, Cheese.......I am on 3mg clonazepam/day....Been on them for over 6 yrs.....I've tried vistaril, too, and it didn't do anything for me.

I think I'm going to wait for another doc.

3 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I don't understand it either, Cheese.......I am on 3mg clonazepam/day....Been on them for over 6 yrs.....I've tried vistaril, too, and it didn't do anything for me.

I think I'm going to wait for another doc.

Personally, I think that is a tough, but wise decision. Ugh. I’m so sorry you are stuck in this rough spot. Thinking of you for sure. It’s really unfortunate that this first pdoc to have openings come up had to be anti benzo. Dang it. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, looking for answers said:

hi. hope things are well. I think you have to ask yourself why are you switching doctors? Is it that you dont feel well now? You dont like your med regime? Your looking for a new approach? If thats the case........then maybe be open to the change.........Maybe he has another way to manage those symptoms. Also......you can discuss that with him. You can express your concerns. Also , you can go to the appointment, see what he says, doesnt mean oyu have to transfer care to him. You can thank him for the opinion, and go back to your other doc.

also FWIW, ive been to 2 different doctors, who i was told up front, they dont prescribe benzos. Low and behold, they had me on benzos.........

I want to switch docs because I continue to have severe depression, anxiety, and uncontrolled OCD with current doc, who refuses to let me try anything new.....She keeps me on the same things, and I believe she has basically given up on me.

A couple of months ago I asked about trying Viibryd and she wouldn't agree to it......Honestly, I have tried a LOT of meds, as you can see from my sig.

I am open to a new approach, but I'm just thinking that getting off clonazepam wouldn't be the best thing.....I can't sleep without it.....Sleep is very important to me.

That's interesting that you went to 2 different anti-benzo docs who ended up giving you benzos anyway....This doctor's nurse was very clear on it, though.....She said if I didn't want to get off benzos, don't sign on here as a patient, because Dr. X will take you off.

His nurse also said Dr X thinks benzos are harmful, therefore he won't give them.....If he thinks benzos are harmful, what else does he think might be harmful?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

8 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Personally, I think that is a tough, but wise decision. Ugh. I’m so sorry you are stuck in this rough spot. Thinking of you for sure. It’s really unfortunate that this first pdoc to have openings come up had to be anti benzo. Dang it. 

Thanks, Cheese...It is tough, but I need my benzo...It helps me sleep, and I don't want to give it up....If I can't sleep well, everything gets worse and worse.

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I want to switch docs because I continue to have severe depression, anxiety, and uncontrolled OCD with current doc, who refuses to let me try anything new.....She keeps me on the same things, and I believe she has basically given up on me.

A couple of months ago I asked about trying Viibryd and she wouldn't agree to it......Honestly, I have tried a LOT of meds, as you can see from my sig.

I am open to a new approach, but I'm just thinking that getting off clonazepam wouldn't be the best thing.....I can't sleep without it.....Sleep is very important to me.

That's interesting that you went to 2 different anti-benzo docs who ended up giving you benzos anyway....This doctor's nurse was very clear on it, though.....She said if I didn't want to get off benzos, don't sign on here as a patient, because Dr. X will take you off.

His nurse also said Dr X thinks benzos are harmful, therefore he won't give them.....If he thinks benzos are harmful, what else does he think might be harmful?

Im not saying its the exact same situation. But the nurse also told me up front. "your're on xanax. Well you will be coming off that he DOES NOT prescribe benzodiazapenes. Is that going to be a problem." I just said I wasn't sure how good of an idea it was, but I was open to new ideas. I went to the appointment, he said well you have been on it for a while, and it seems to help you, and you still have anxiety, im not gonna take you off it. Saw that doc for 2 years, never an issue. 

But again, im just giving you a different perspective. I know alot of meds scared me, or i wanted to stay on this and that. But i didnt feel good. Well clearly what I was on wasnt working, yeah one "helped" but it didnt fix  things, or have them wear I wanted to be. So finally i said F it, i HAVE to be open to new ideas, meds etc. 

Im not saying you should come off, or do anything. But I think it may be a good idea, to at least go to the appointment. Like i said before, treat it as a second opinion. See what he has to say, express your concerns, and what you are looking for. The worst thing that can happen is you go, and you and the doctor are not a good match. In which case, you don't go back to him, and you continue with your current doctor, and wait for the others to have something available, NOTHING changes. 

Best case, you find some middle ground, or new thinking, and find a new way to attempt to attack your situation. 

I recently knew I had to switch doctors. I was over medicated, and my doc wasn't listening. Heck 3 sessions in a row, he wasn't even sure what meds I was on. My therapist who WORKS FOR HIM, was begging me to go see someone else, as was 2 other doctors I was seeing for other issues. My options were a doctor who basically does your eval and transfers you to a CRNP for care, or a 3rd year resident student, who functions on their own, but is overseen by a regular Pdoc. I ended up choosing the 3rd year resident. I told her up front in the eval that i felt over medicated, i wanted a second opinion on meds, diagnosis, and POSSIBLY to transfer care. She was absolutely fine with all that. We did the eval. She told me what she thought, asked me if i had questions, asked if agreed, and asked if I wanted to continue with her or return to my doctor. I chose going with her. Ive been weaning off of Klonopin, and lithium. Ive been on benzos for god 15-20 years. I also take them to help sleep. It was tough dropping down 0.5 mg for a week or so, but ive adjusted,granted its been  6 weeks, were going very slow. I also have come down 600mg of lithium and will be off of it soon. I M a different person. My mom, dad, sister all are amazed at how I am now. Im not dead to the world, im  also not as tense, irritable etc. I have emotions. Its crazy. 

What I am getting at is. You are in control. You have a doc you follow now. You have the opportunity for another opinion. It sounds like you aren't happy where you are. Why not at least see what they have to say?

Just keep in mind, this was the nurse who said this not the doc. And assumptions are running wild based on a single comment from a nurse.....

Edited by looking for answers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

Just keep in mind, this was the nurse who said this not the doc. And assumptions are running wild based on a single comment from a nurse.....

True....It was the nurse who said it, not the doc......I will keep that in mind.

Thanks so much for your perspective....I appreciate it.

• Like 1

The liability insurance a doc must have if they prescribe scheduled meds is quite expensive. This influences some docs to not prescribe some or all the scheduled meds.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, notloki said:

The liability insurance a doc must have if they prescribe scheduled meds is quite expensive. This influences some docs to not prescribe some or all the scheduled meds.

Hmm....Didn't realize that could be a factor....Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

True....It was the nurse who said it, not the doc......I will keep that in mind.

Thanks so much for your perspective....I appreciate it.

anytime, keep us updated

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 9/29/2019 at 9:38 AM, CrazyRedhead said:

Also, I saw current pdoc yesterday, and she is finally going to let me try switching out Wellbutrin for Trintellix.....Not sure how well it will work, but at least she changed something...!!

I started a thread about it yesterday:

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Maybe things will work with this pdoc now?  It’s true the nurse gave you the benzo info so you never know but if she’s right—well, I personally have reservations about someone who never uses benzos ever. I don’t take them now but have, and it hasn’t caused me problems. I guess I’d hesitate. And if you do go, even once, will your current pdoc cut you off or could it truly be just a consult?  Should be ok but some of them have their own set of rules. I had a doc basically give up on me. I did better with a fresh perspective of someone new seeing me. I realize insurance may be a factor but to me that’s not a good enough reason to ban benzos. 

• Like 1

I think I'm going to give current pdoc some credit for trying something new with me this time.

At least with my insurance, they don't cover consults (unless of course I pay for them out of pocket), so once I switch to new pdoc, I would be afraid I couldn't change my mind.

It's a tough call, and I wish my insurance would cover consults, but I don't think I'm going to take the chance because of the benzos.......I might be being overly cautious, but I just don't want to take chances with losing one of my foundation meds.

I wish I could talk to this anti-benzo pdoc to see where he truly stands, but I don't think there's much of a chance of that.

That seems reasonable to me. You don’t want to get an important med pulled and then be stuck with that doc if it doesn’t work. And if we tapers people, he must have the insurance coverage, just opts to restrict. Personally I have a different med, non MI, that I don’t want pulled, so I get your concerns. I hope the new med works out for you. This whole business can really be tiring to figure out when you’re already not feeling great. 

• Thanks 1