CrazyBoards.org

CrazyRedhead

Stay with current pdoc or have to give up benzo??

I don't like the sound of this new pdoc compromising his patients' treatment options and his prescribing options on the basis of what his insurance will and won't cover. If a pdoc's going to treat me, he's or she is going to  have to have the courage to take the risks associated with the profession. I wouldn't keep a pdoc who told me, "I could improve your situation, but it would cost me too much to prescribe the meds you need." My response would be, "I see. Fuck you and that pseudo-sheepskin on your wall. We will not meet again."

I'm sorry that this is disappointing after the long wait, but in my opinion, becoming a patient of this person would likely not be to your benefit. The idea of telling a patient that he or she will be stopping an effective medication because it would be too expensive for the pdoc to prescribe it is outrageous. When you call back to tell the woman that you will not be signing on as a patient of this gormless excuse for a pdoc, be sure to explain why.

You say you are waiting to hear about two other possibilities - you might do yourself a favor to call each of those practices ahead of time and find out if either of them have a policy similar to this one, so that you won't be disappointed after a long wait for them as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it OK if I play devil's advocate?

Benzos are habit forming, and can lead to feeling like you need larger doses over time. I have seen first hand, patients demanding higher doses aggressively and even violently. The clinic might have a jaded history with previous patients who abused them.

Which sucks, and ultimately means that it is probably not a clinic that you need in your life. 

• Thanks 1

Have you googled reviews for this pdoc and clinic? If he has reviews, it might be informative on how patients like his prescribing style. Worth a shot, anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

You say you are waiting to hear about two other possibilities - you might do yourself a favor to call each of those practices ahead of time and find out if either of them have a policy similar to this one, so that you won't be disappointed after a long wait for them as well.

Yes, I didn't think about that....Good advice, thanks.....I'm going to call other docs I'm waiting on and check tomorrow..!!

And I'll also be calling this anti-benzo doc's office back and let them know why I'm not signing up as a patient.

1 hour ago, DogMan said:

Is it OK if I play devil's advocate?

Benzos are habit forming, and can lead to feeling like you need larger doses over time. I have seen first hand, patients demanding higher doses aggressively and even violently. The clinic might have a jaded history with previous patients who abused them.

Which sucks, and ultimately means that it is probably not a clinic that you need in your life. 

It's quite possible that the doc has had some history of patients who abused benzos, but if that is the case, he shouldn't just assume that every patient will......Every pdoc has their own opinions about certain meds, which patients can't really change, but they can choose not to see that doc.......Thanks for your input...!!

1 hour ago, Rabbit37 said:

Have you googled reviews for this pdoc and clinic? If he has reviews, it might be informative on how patients like his prescribing style. Worth a shot, anyway. 

Great idea....Yes, I did finally google him and clinic for reviews, and it seems there aren't very many at all, maybe about 10 or 12 reviews.....Average rating was 3 out of 5 stars, based on those reviews.....One patient said he pulled him off benzos cold turkey....Which is not a good sign....**SIGH**.......Another red flag.......I'm going to definitely stay with current pdoc for now, and check out the others I'm waiting on.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

6 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Yes, I didn't think about that....Good advice, thanks.....I'm going to call other docs I'm waiting on and check tomorrow..!!

And I'll also be calling this anti-benzo doc's office back and let them know why I'm not signing up as a patient.

It's quite possible that the doc has had some history of patients who abused benzos, but if that is the case, he shouldn't just assume that every patient will......Every pdoc has their own opinions about certain meds, which patients can't really change, but they can choose not to see that doc.......Thanks for your input...!!

Great idea....Yes, I did finally google him and clinic for reviews, and it seems there aren't very many at all, maybe about 10 or 12 reviews.....Average rating was 3 out of 5 stars, based on those reviews.....One patient said he pulled him off benzos cold turkey....Which is not a good sign....**SIGH**.......Another red flag.......I'm going to definitely stay with current pdoc for now, and check out the others I'm waiting on.

Take it with. A grain of salt tho- often disgruntled people post way more than happy customers. My doc also has 3ish out of five, and I’ve never had any of the red flags in the reviews 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Take it with. A grain of salt tho- often disgruntled people post way more than happy customers. My doc also has 3ish out of five, and I’ve never had any of the red flags in the reviews 

Yes, I know people who are unhappy with their experience are more likely to post.......Seems like there is no super accurate method to weigh options, when it comes to choosing a pdoc, unless you actually talk to the doc on the phone, or go to an appt.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

8 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Yes, I know people who are unhappy with their experience are more likely to post.......Seems like there is no super accurate method to weigh options, when it comes to choosing a pdoc, unless you actually talk to the doc on the phone, or go to an appt.

I agree- it can be at least a partial shot in the dark 

• Like 1