CrazyBoards.org

How long does it take for rexulti to start working? Even just a little improvement? I don’t want to jinx anything.

Is it too soon to notice anything or am I just getting placebo effects and I’m just having a good day? And because this is my birthday and wedding anniversary month so I’m feeling excited?

For reference, I started 2 mg, two nights ago. I had 4 days of 1 mg. Then this recent increase to 2 mg. This is day 7 on it. Or will be. 

@Wonderful.Cheese, it typically doesn't take long for Rexulti to start working (for good or for bad). It can actually start working very quickly for some, in fact. I would estimate that it would take 2-3 days to start really working for depression/negative symptoms, and probably 1-2 weeks for positive symptoms. Not sure about mania though. That's just a guess based on other antipsychotics though, but it seems to work quicker than most antipsychotics based on anecdotal reports from other people taking it.

It is like Abilify only insofar as its half-life is about 91 hours according to Epocrates. So it would take about 455 hours to reach steady state, or almost 19 days.

For me, it didn't take but a few days for it to start affecting me negatively... lol. Same for my mom and my best friend, @THE_REAL_Bryan. (I sure wish he'd get his butt on here some time... lol. He has a lot of good things he could share with this community.)

@browri knows quite a lot about Rexulti, but I haven't really seen him around here for a little while. I believe he's got a lot going on right now though.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

How long does it take for rexulti to start working? Even just a little improvement? I don’t want to jinx anything.

Is it too soon to notice anything or am I just getting placebo effects and I’m just having a good day? And because this is my birthday and wedding anniversary month so I’m feeling excited?

For reference, I started 2 mg, two nights ago. I had 4 days of 1 mg. Then this recent increase to 2 mg. This is day 7 on it. Or will be. 

I agree - I don’t think it’s too soon 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

@Wonderful.Cheese, it typically doesn't take long for Rexulti to start working (for good or for bad). It can actually start working very quickly for some, in fact. I would estimate that it would take 2-3 days to start really working for depression/negative symptoms, and probably 1-2 weeks for positive symptoms. Not sure about mania though. That's just a guess based on other antipsychotics though, but it seems to work quicker than most antipsychotics based on anecdotal reports from other people taking it.

It is like Abilify only insofar as its half-life is about 91 hours according to Epocrates. So it would take about 455 hours to reach steady state, or almost 19 days.

For me, it didn't take but a few days for it to start affecting me negatively... lol. Same for my mom and my best friend, @THE_REAL_Bryan. (I sure wish he'd get his butt on here some time... lol. He has a lot of good things he could share with this community.)

@browri knows quite a lot about Rexulti, but I haven't really seen him around here for a little while. I believe he's got a lot going on right now though.

Ok so I’m not “crazy” for thinking it’s starting to help a little. Ha. Thanks for that validation! I appreciate your help as always. Now it’s officially 7 doses and I do notice a slight difference I believe. I still have some of those I guess delusional thoughts as my pdoc and you have said. But maybe cautiously hopeful?

12 hours ago, Iceberg said:

I agree - I don’t think it’s too soon 

Thanks iceberg! I appreciate your help too. I’m glad to hear it’s just not “all in my head.” That’s good news. 

I see my pdoc today. What do you guys think about my thoughts?

I want to start decreasing the Abilify and she will probably want to increase the rexulti. But I’d rather save the rexulti increase for a rainy day. I think we should stay at 2 mg and see how I do with lowering Abilify. I’m not saying I for sure won’t need 4 mg rexulti, but I say let’s see what 2 mg really can do. I’ve only been on 2 mg of it for 3 days. I think it’s too soon for an increase. I know my pdoc likes to really max out meds, and fast.

Am I making sense to want to just lower Abilify a little and stay on 2 mg rexulti and see how I do?

15 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I see my pdoc today. What do you guys think about my thoughts?

I want to start decreasing the Abilify and she will probably want to increase the rexulti. But I’d rather save the rexulti increase for a rainy day. I think we should stay at 2 mg and see how I do with lowering Abilify. I’m not saying I for sure won’t need 4 mg rexulti, but I say let’s see what 2 mg really can do. I’ve only been on 2 mg of it for 3 days. I think it’s too soon for an increase. I know my pdoc likes to really max out meds, and fast.

Am I making sense to want to just lower Abilify a little and stay on 2 mg rexulti and see how I do?

Makes sense to me, as long as you. Act fast if any manic type things start to pop up. Also, you could split the difference and try 3 mg if you really need the increase 

My pdoc said yesterday that the goal would be to have me remain on Abilify 30 mg, rexulti 2 - 4 mg, and zyprexa 20 mg for a long long while to make sure I remain stable.

Then after that we can start to think about coming off Abilify very very slowly month by month a tiny decrease.

I’m a little scared to get off Abilify. I know 3 AAP’s isn’t ideal and bad, but I do best on 3. But I know you aren’t supposed to take Abilify and rexulti together either. So.

8 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

My pdoc said yesterday that the goal would be to have me remain on Abilify 30 mg, rexulti 2 - 4 mg, and zyprexa 20 mg for a long long while to make sure I remain stable.

Then after that we can start to think about coming off Abilify very very slowly month by month a tiny decrease.

I’m a little scared to get off Abilify. I know 3 AAP’s isn’t ideal and bad, but I do best on 3. But I know you aren’t supposed to take Abilify and rexulti together either. So.

It took me several months to get off Abilify without losing it myself, so I think that's a good idea. Any time I tried to decrease the Abilify too quickly or come off of it cold turkey (like Stahl says you can), I went completely psychotic.

Glad things are looking up for you!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

It sucks but Unfortunately most of us who are treatment resistant don’t get to always do “ideal” to make things work 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, argh said:

Hey whatever works. Glad things are on the up

Thanks argh. I appreciate it. I’m trying to keep this momentum going. It’s not all smooth sailing but I’m trying. 

16 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

It took me several months to get off Abilify without losing it myself, so I think that's a good idea. Any time I tried to decrease the Abilify too quickly or come off of it cold turkey (like Stahl says you can), I went completely psychotic.

Glad things are looking up for you!

Thanks Mike. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I hope that doesn’t happen to me when we finally taper me off Abilify very slowly. I have been on it so very long I guess we will have to see what happens when that time comes to taper off. 

10 hours ago, Iceberg said:

It sucks but Unfortunately most of us who are treatment resistant don’t get to always do “ideal” to make things work 

Thanks iceberg. You are very correct. “Ideal” isn’t always an option for treatment resistant patients for sure, unfortunately. Whatever works is what has to be done to make things work out for a person. 

6 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Thanks Mike. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I hope that doesn’t happen to me when we finally taper me off Abilify very slowly. I have been on it so very long I guess we will have to see what happens when that time comes to taper off. 

I didn't mean to scare you with my experience. I hope that when you start to taper that you are able to do so and stay stable. :) 

• Thanks 1

When I once tried to come off Rexulti I did so too fast and felt into a really bad depressive episode. I remember specifically because it was thanksgiving and I didn’t leave bed or anything. I had switched to Latuda at the time because Rexulti was causing a little bit of mania. But now I am back on Rexulti for a the mood boost. I am supposed to be on Vraylar 3mg but I lost my prescription along with half of my supply of zenzedi so I am taking Rexulti for the time being until I can meet with the pdoc and get a new RX for Vraylar. 

For me Rexulti works very fast, so I would say that seeing improvements in days isn’t too far of a stretch. 

• Thanks 1

I have been struggling again, unfortunately. With low mood and other bad thoughts too. Voices. 

I see pdoc on the 18th. Do I agree to her suggestion to up the rexulti to 4 mg like she wanted to do last appointment? I don’t want to gain weight. Will 4 mg even make a difference or will I just get more side effects?

1 hour ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I have been struggling again, unfortunately. With low mood and other bad thoughts too. Voices. 

I see pdoc on the 18th. Do I agree to her suggestion to up the rexulti to 4 mg like she wanted to do last appointment? I don’t want to gain weight. Will 4 mg even make a difference or will I just get more side effects?

It's worth a try. 4mg is the dose for schizo disorders. 

I'd vote Yes.

You've been through a ton of apps. Might as well eliminate this by giving it the full trial.