CrazyBoards.org

Binge eating questions

Yes, I know what you're talking about with the binge eating.  Back before I had my son (7+ years ago), I was a binge eater.  I gained about 40+lbs.  Finally, after I had my son and he was 2, I just decided I'd had enough when my jeans got tight.  I restricted my food, worked out, and lost all the weight.  Now, since last summer, I've been binging again, really bad lately.  Im not sure if it could be medication related or not, but I've gained 40 lbs again.  Im trying to lose it, but can't stop eating!!!  Heck, I just got done eating 4 slices of pizza and a bunch of Thin Mint girl scout cookies! ;)

i too have gone through a full spectrum of disordered eating habits and still struggle with it.  to be completely blunt, binge eating is a bitch... truly.  I've had fluctuations of about 30 lbs.

Yes, it really sucks when you gain the weight back.  I got rid of all my "fat" clothes a while ago because I was so sure I wouldn't gain the weight back.  Now, Im wearing clothes that are tight or not overly attractive.  I don't want to go shopping for new clothes because Im hoping to lose the weight again.

My weight fluctuations have been somewhat extreme.  In the past 10 years I've gone up and down topping out at 420 and reaching a low of about 210.  This time I have dropped from 290 to 245 without dieting or anything, just se's from my meds, I guess.  About 9 years ago I dropped from 370 to 210 by eating nothing but salads and blew out my gallbladder.  The 420 was about 6 years ago.

Tommy

Been binge eating since elementary school!  Once I started working in high school and making my own money, lookout!  I'm now in my forties, have been at the same high weight of 290 - 300 for over 10 yrs, but still manage to stay active, hike, travel, swim, etc.  Quit caring about what other people think a long time ago, but do wish I was thinner because I know I'd be physically more comfortable.  I guess it's better than being a skinny alcoholic, but there are days I'm not so sure...

Easter chocolate in the stores right now is killing me!

I definately have BTDT. I started as an anorexic in grade 9 then went to binge eating and gained 50lbs and then started trying to purge but never got good at it. Ever since then my life has been a cycle of bingeing and dieting. With a little med-induced weight gain most recently and haven't been able to lose it all since coming off the med.

Not much to offer, but you're definately not alone.

Ameth

Boy can I relate.  I haven't had a "healthy" relationship with food since I was 18.  I never showed any ED tendencies until I had my first child 15 years ago. 

I am a binge eater.  I don't purge.  I have actually tried several times to "get the hang" of purging, but I simply am no good at it.  I alternate between restricting food and non stop binging.  I'm much better at the binging of course and I spend more time overweight than at a normal weight.

I became addicted to perscription diet pills in 2003 and finally had to get myself off of them in July 2005.  If I wasn't already crazy enough (not in treatment yet), they were making me seriously bat shit!!!  Went to pdoc...told I'm BP2...blah...blah...blah!!!  The diet pills were the only thing that ever stopped my binging.  I was able to finally know when I should eat and make better choices.  Hell, maybe I was too far on the food restriction side, but damn...I LOST 40 POUNDS!!  I loved myself...

I am just coming off a major two day binge...pretty much eating everything I can get my hands on.  Eating the sweets (ice cream, snack cakes)...then needing to eat the salty (TONS of potato chips.) 

I just recently came off my Lamictal because it wasn't giving me great relief and I couldn't get pdoc to seem to help.  Well, needless to say I've been in a terrible state...absolutely MENTAL!!!  Husband finally could see things are VERY UNSTABLE and he FINALLY took the lead and called my pdoc and is getting me back in to get put back on the SHIT that is supposed to make it all better. 

Sorry to get off topic....I'm having a tendency to rant lately.  I do understand the battle of binge eating and I just wish that someone would actually take my issues with food seriously!!! 

aimee 

• 3 weeks later...

I have also gone through a range of eating disorder and now mine is a combination of all of them, sort of. I get the dx ED-NOS. Fun fun. Oh and BDD. Body dysmorphic disorder. Interesting. Something to work on in therapy, now won't that be fun!

Anyway, I can relate.

Ameth

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I've had a similar experience. My weight gains were made much worse by antideppressant meds, which I'm very sensitive to and make me really pack on the pounds.

Don't know if this is helpful, but rather than giving away the sizes you no longer wear (made that mistake more than once), I suggest Space Bags for clothing storage. I'm wearing 4/6s now (hellelujah...hope it lasts) so I have some Space Bags full of my 8s, 10s, 12s and 14s. Now at least I know if my weight fluctuates that I won't have to go to the poor house to accommodate it ;)

Low weight: 152. High weight: 220. I am very unimpressed.

If I had a vacuum cleaner, I would do space bags in a heartbeat.

I do have a vacuum cleaner, so I probably don't want to know what space bags are.

My low (normal) weight is 150-ish, I'm lumbering through at 205 right now.

First time EVER my weight has gone over 200 non-pregnant.

People who haven't seen me in awhile look at me and I can read their minds, "you have put on a lot of weight", I picked my brother up at the airport, he hasn't seen me since Thanksgiving and his look said it all. I just said it for him, "I got fat."

I'm 5'8", So I can get away with a good 20 extra pounds without looking "fat", but now there is no mistake about it to me or anyone and I can't stop eating either.

I used to look at severely obese people and think, "man they have to eat A LOT to maintain the calorie input to keep their weight up there...." well, I'm getting the picture.

I don't even know if I can blame meds. I could be lame and blame illness, fibromylagia (tired, pain); back surgery fuck up (more pain, stiffness difficulty moving). But I know that's all bullshit because with both illnesses movement is crucial to well-being and they only place I move to is the kitchen.

I could blame my depression, I'm depressed as fuck right now and that is a more like culprit. It's making me want not to do a lot of things. Anything, really, and I have to watch it because this is how it starts and before to long not wanting to live will be on the list of things I don't want to do.

Yeah, I can relate. And those cadbury eggs are driving me crazy, though it would be chocolate covered raisinettes that could possibly be my undoing.

I've been through enough therapy (embarrassingly so) to know it's not my feelings I'm feeding. I'm just a. lazy, and b. love to eat.

One or the other or both have to be modified seriously and I will lose weight--again.

Thanks for the thread, and the opportunity to get it out there. Can you tell it's on my mind too. ;)

Hugs if ya wannem,

S9

I've been through enough therapy (embarrassingly so) to know it's not my feelings I'm feeding. I'm just a. lazy, and b. love to eat.

This is totally untrue- eating disorders are ALL about feelings and the underlying behaviors as to why you are overeating or why you are binging. You are NOT lazy- and if you do love to eat you should be able to stop without going overboard and binging. (speaking for myself here 100% also because I struggle with everything being said on this thread.)

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to say I relate also and have lost and regained literally HUNDREDS of pounds over the last couple years. My eating disorder started as anorexia.. as soon as I got out of IP I developed binge eating disorder and my weight shot from 115-170 within a matter of about 8 months. Now since I compensate quite frequently for any binges I am in the normal range but I get so frusterated because I know the minute I stop my weight could just go back up and up.

melissaj- People recover from eating disorders ALL the time but it takes hard work and a ton of committment on your part. A willingness to recover and a good therapist will "start" you on the right track. There will be tons of slip up's on your "road to recovery" but the most important thing is how you deal with them.. and how you get yourself back on track.

~cc

• 5 weeks later...

i was binge eating on depakote and really binging on remeron. im now on the 'eating very little' wellbutrin diet trying to lose some weight. i was at 140 3 weeks ago and down to 135 a week later, my 1st week on the wellbutrin. its now been 2 weeks & i go to the tdoc on friday and will get weighed again. im hoping to be under 130. the scale in my bathroom says 126 BUT its VERY unreliable.

oh and i was 115 before i went this crazy and started all the drug hopping.

i hated the binging and the gaining, too but i just couldnt stop it so i got bigger clothes and resigned myself to being fat forever.

maybe you can trade you lex for some WB??? hang in there, loon!!!

hey loon, just wanted to check and see how its going for you??? i found out i didnt lose as much as i thought or hoped but i did lose a little. im down to 133 1/2 so i did lose 1 1/2 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks. oh well, every little bit counts.

I've been through all forms of disordered eating too, except purging, thank heavens. I weighed about 110/115 a few weeks ago, and now weigh 135. i'm so depressed about it. it is binge eating. the Zyprexa just makes me hungrier and hungrier! and i eat when i'm already full and when i have no reason to eat.

i totally relate

Archived