CrazyBoards.org

Hi, 

I started taking Vraylar 3 mg two days ago. I went out to a restaurant today, and I realized this dose is way too activating. At the restaurant, I was going very fast, and everything around me was going fast. 

How long will it take for this activation from 3 mg to become bearable and decrease? 

1 hour ago, lisa2712 said:

Hi, 

I started taking Vraylar 3 mg two days ago. I went out to a restaurant today, and I realized this dose is way too activating. At the restaurant, I was going very fast, and everything around me was going fast. 

How long will it take for this activation from 3 mg to become bearable and decrease? 

Hard to say exactly. Vraylar has a long half-life so the buildup can be slow. However, if it doesn’t go away in a reasonable amount of time it might be worth calling the pdoc and get their take just to make sure it isn’t anything besides start up stuff 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Iceberg said:

Hard to say exactly. Vraylar has a long half-life so the buildup can be slow. However, if it doesn’t go away in a reasonable amount of time it might be worth calling the pdoc and get their take just to make sure it isn’t anything besides start up stuff 

Exactly what I was going to say lol.

I hope the side effects diminish for you!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Iceberg said:

It took me 6 weeks to get comfortable on 1.5 mg. 

I think I’ll give this dose 1 week and see how I adjust before I call my psychiatrist’s Office. 

2 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

Exactly what I was going to say lol.

I hope the side effects diminish for you!

Thank you 😊!

Dang. I was hoping to find something saying it’s less activating at 3mg. I just started on 1.5mg. I was severely depressed, so I appreciate not being sedated but I’m exhausted. I’ve been awake since 3:30 after a very restless night and I had taken 450mg of trazadone. Yesterday I woke up at 2. So I’m really tired. 

I wish there was something better for sleep than trazadone. Otherwise I’d be happy. 

2 hours ago, iLove said:

Dang. I was hoping to find something saying it’s less activating at 3mg. I just started on 1.5mg. I was severely depressed, so I appreciate not being sedated but I’m exhausted. I’ve been awake since 3:30 after a very restless night and I had taken 450mg of trazadone. Yesterday I woke up at 2. So I’m really tired. 

I wish there was something better for sleep than trazadone. Otherwise I’d be happy. 

I was also tired a lot on 1.5 mg. But I slept fine. I just felt tired from the medication. 

2 hours ago, iLove said:

I’ve been awake since 3:30 after a very restless night and I had taken 450mg of trazadone. Yesterday I woke up at 2. So I’m really tired.

That was my experience too - I could get to sleep, but would wake up early AM and be stuck awake.  I detailed it in this post as I went, maybe it'll be useful to you.  If you have a fitbit that does sleep tracking, you can see the improvement as you go.  By 3 months sleep was back to normal, and it was mostly a steady march of improvement that got me there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fruitful.Entropy said:

That was my experience too - I could get to sleep, but would wake up early AM and be stuck awake.  I detailed it in this post as I went, maybe it'll be useful to you.  If you have a fitbit that does sleep tracking, you can see the improvement as you go.  By 3 months sleep was back to normal, and it was mostly a steady march of improvement that got me there.

That was. My psychiatrist closed at noon today and doesn’t check messages. So I called my pcp. The nurse was shocked the other nurse told me to take 450mg of trazadone and really wanted me to not take it anymore. She said there’s not really anything stronger and suggested taking the vraylar in the morning since it’s activating. I think I’m going to like vraylar once I get some sleep. Even with the lack of sleep, it’s keeping me from mania. And my depression is gone. Fingers crossed taking it in the a.m. helps me too. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, iLove said:

That was. My psychiatrist closed at noon today and doesn’t check messages. So I called my pcp. The nurse was shocked the other nurse told me to take 450mg of trazadone and really wanted me to not take it anymore. She said there’s not really anything stronger and suggested taking the vraylar in the morning since it’s activating. I think I’m going to like vraylar once I get some sleep. Even with the lack of sleep, it’s keeping me from mania. And my depression is gone. Fingers crossed taking it in the a.m. helps me too. 

I’m assuming you’ve tried the whole gauntlet of sleep meds...?

1 hour ago, iLove said:

suggested taking the vraylar in the morning since it’s activating.

Oh, I didn't think to mention that.  I started taking it PM because my PDoc said "It could cause somnolence, or insomnia, no way to tell."  I took it for two nights and I could barely get to sleep.  I called my PDoc and said "Bad idea, I'm moving it to the morning dose!"  And that's when the whole "sleep for 2 hours and then wake up" started, but it was better than taking it at night.

TL;DR: Yes, morning dose much better than evening dose in my experience.

14 hours ago, Iceberg said:

I’m assuming you’ve tried the whole gauntlet of sleep meds...?

Yes, trazadone usually works very well for me. I’ll sleep 8-10 hours a night. It’s just since I started vraylar. 

I’ve taken vistaril, remeron, belsomra, ambien, klonopin, Seroquel. 

Most work but there are side effects and I don’t get any side effects with trazadone. 

13 hours ago, Fruitful.Entropy said:

Oh, I didn't think to mention that.  I started taking it PM because my PDoc said "It could cause somnolence, or insomnia, no way to tell."  I took it for two nights and I could barely get to sleep.  I called my PDoc and said "Bad idea, I'm moving it to the morning dose!"  And that's when the whole "sleep for 2 hours and then wake up" started, but it was better than taking it at night.

TL;DR: Yes, morning dose much better than evening dose in my experience.

I didn’t take the vraylar last night and slept much better. Not my usual 8-10 hours, but 5-6 restless hours. 

Just know that trazodone can actually become stimulating if you take any dose above 200 mg. Some people actually do well with 300 mg for sleep, but that's about the point where it starts to become stimulating due to its active metabolite mCPP.

12 hours ago, iLove said:

Yes, trazadone usually works very well for me. I’ll sleep 8-10 hours a night. It’s just since I started vraylar. 

I’ve taken vistaril, remeron, belsomra, ambien, klonopin, Seroquel. 

Most work but there are side effects and I don’t get any side effects with trazadone. 

I didn’t take the vraylar last night and slept much better. Not my usual 8-10 hours, but 5-6 restless hours. 

I did have luck with 300 for awhile but they basically said give up after that. Also, lunesta? It’s good for keeping you awake longer instead of just knocking you out