Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Started using my new fitness tracker. Tracks sleep & heartrate also. I'm not sure how accurate it is (500 great reviews said it was). But I'm quite worried with results I'm getting. My resting Heartrate jumps around erratically from 70-100. After sitting at breakfast it's like 90-115. I am healthy weight/slim, eat really well, usually fit (though really inactive last 3-4 mos).

Literally, when I woke up today (before any meds), I tracked, and it jumped all around from 68-95. I hadn't even got out of bed!! The other day, I did 5 minutes of jumping jacks, then tested....it was 120-130, heart pounding in ears, really tight chest, with slight cough/phlegm congestion in throat....I do some stretching, forward bends then feel very dizzy.

Is this normal or am I just really out of shape? I have low blood pressure and when I run lately, HR goes up to 180 which is max. Is this dangerous? @mikl_pls ? How long do you have to be doing fitness in order to get it down to fit/normal??

Oh, too add, I did an ECG a couple years ago, and nothing abnormal was found. Also did a "Fitness test" on a bike with oxygen mask (5 years ago though) doctor just said I was unfit.

Edited by Blahblah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you take it more than once?

 

Anxiety will do it, anxiety about heart rate will do it.

 

On first measure, my resting is often 110-130. A few goes and some distraction like talking to someone and it comes down to lower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Started using my new fitness tracker. Tracks sleep & heartrate also. I'm not sure how accurate it is (500 great reviews said it was). But I'm quite worried with results I'm getting. My resting Heartrate jumps around erratically from 70-100. After sitting at breakfast it's like 90-115. I am healthy weight/slim, eat really well, usually fit (though really inactive last 3-4 mos).

Literally, when I woke up today (before any meds), I tracked, and it jumped all around from 68-95. I hadn't even got out of bed!! The other day, I did 5 minutes of jumping jacks, then tested....it was 120-130, heart pounding in ears, really tight chest, with slight cough/phlegm congestion in throat....I do some stretching, forward bends then feel very dizzy.

Is this normal or am I just really out of shape? I have low blood pressure and when I run lately, HR goes up to 180 which is max. Is this dangerous? @mikl_pls ? How long do you have to be doing fitness in order to get it down to fit/normal??

Oh, too add, I did an ECG a couple years ago, and nothing abnormal was found. Also did a "Fitness test" on a bike with oxygen mask (5 years ago though) doctor just said I was unfit.

Normal range for resting heart rate is about 60-100 bpm: 

 https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/expert-answers/heart-rate/faq-20057979

To find out what your maximum heart rate should be during exercise, the formula is 220 minus your age:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/exercise-intensity/art-20046887

Quote from article: " You can calculate your maximum heart rate by subtracting your age from 220.  For example, if you're 45 years old, subtract 45 from 220 to get a maximum heart rate of 175.  This is the average maximum number of times your heart should beat per minute during exercise."

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Started using my new fitness tracker. Tracks sleep & heartrate also. I'm not sure how accurate it is (500 great reviews said it was). But I'm quite worried with results I'm getting. My resting Heartrate jumps around erratically from 70-100. After sitting at breakfast it's like 90-115. I am healthy weight/slim, eat really well, usually fit (though really inactive last 3-4 mos).

Literally, when I woke up today (before any meds), I tracked, and it jumped all around from 68-95. I hadn't even got out of bed!! The other day, I did 5 minutes of jumping jacks, then tested....it was 120-130, heart pounding in ears, really tight chest, with slight cough/phlegm congestion in throat....I do some stretching, forward bends then feel very dizzy.

Is this normal or am I just really out of shape? I have low blood pressure and when I run lately, HR goes up to 180 which is max. Is this dangerous? @mikl_pls ? How long do you have to be doing fitness in order to get it down to fit/normal??

Oh, too add, I did an ECG a couple years ago, and nothing abnormal was found. Also did a "Fitness test" on a bike with oxygen mask (5 years ago though) doctor just said I was unfit.

Hi @Blahblah im in healthcare, and use hr monitors. Hopefully I can help. 

First my hearts very fit and very strong, so i'll relate your questions to my heart. When i wake up mr HR is about 38, during the day at rest i sit around 55. 

When you say you woke up and tracked it? tracked it how? your HR naturally jumps all over the place. It is completely normal that if your laying in bed its around 70, then u get up stand up take a few steps it jumps to the mid 80's, low 90s's, as your walking, then slows down as u sit.

If your doing jumping jacks, then yeah your HR should go up that high. I work out my heart around 150-155BPM steady. So thats normal. But if your not used to that type of activity the HR is going to feel crazy till you adjust to it. Perhaps do one minute intervals with 30-60 breaks at first if it seems too much. If your heart is out of shape, yes you can cough, phlegm etc, your body is working on overdrive. 

 

180 is high, I have hit 180 in excercise, your max heart im guessing shouldnt be much above 180, but dont fret, if its not staying there your ok, just be careful. 

 

Also keep in mind, Im guessing you didnt buy a state of the art Heart rate monitor. Things arent always completely accurate. They do lose the sensors at times, jump around due to poor connectivity, poor signals, poor bluetooth etc. For instance I have a polar HR monitor, chest strap. I use during excercise. It wasn't cheap, its a very good brand, and has thousand upon thousands of positive reviews. Religiously, every workout I will be steady at say 150 and then it drops to 149, 148 , and i say there it goes, and steadily it drops quick to say 135, stays there 30 seconds, then climbs back up........does it a few times a work out. Obviously my HR didnt drop 15-20 beats just like that. Also occassionaly i'll see a quick spike to 160, 165  then right back. It happens. Just keep in mind connectivity issues.

 

I think your fine!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think anything I would've said has already been said lol. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, looking for answers said:

Hi @Blahblah im in healthcare, and use hr monitors. Hopefully I can help. 

First my hearts very fit and very strong, so i'll relate your questions to my heart. When i wake up mr HR is about 38, during the day at rest i sit around 55. 

When you say you woke up and tracked it? tracked it how? your HR naturally jumps all over the place. It is completely normal that if your laying in bed its around 70, then u get up stand up take a few steps it jumps to the mid 80's, low 90s's, as your walking, then slows down as u sit.

If your doing jumping jacks, then yeah your HR should go up that high. I work out my heart around 150-155BPM steady. So thats normal. But if your not used to that type of activity the HR is going to feel crazy till you adjust to it. Perhaps do one minute intervals with 30-60 breaks at first if it seems too much. If your heart is out of shape, yes you can cough, phlegm etc, your body is working on overdrive. 

 

180 is high, I have hit 180 in excercise, your max heart im guessing shouldnt be much above 180, but dont fret, if its not staying there your ok, just be careful.

Also keep in mind, Im guessing you didnt buy a state of the art Heart rate monitor. Things arent always completely accurate. They do lose the sensors at times, jump around due to poor connectivity, poor signals, poor bluetooth etc. For instance I have a polar HR monitor, chest strap. I use during excercise. It wasn't cheap, its a very good brand, and has thousand upon thousands of positive reviews. Religiously, every workout I will be steady at say 150 and then it drops to 149, 148 , and i say there it goes, and steadily it drops quick to say 135, stays there 30 seconds, then climbs back up........does it a few times a work out. Obviously my HR didnt drop 15-20 beats just like that. Also occassionaly i'll see a quick spike to 160, 165  then right back. It happens. Just keep in mind connectivity issues.

I think your fine!!

Cool, an expert in the house! Wow you must be an athlete (I'm jealous). I'm well aware of the normal range for resting 60-100 (and my Max is 180). I'm just concerned that it is in a dangerous/borderline range and wondering how long it will take to get into a fit range?? My mom had a heart attack (due to a hereditary arythmia or something) so I'm a bit paranoid....

i just bought a cheapish ($29) fitness tracker from Amazon. That had 600 great reviews. It's a watch around wrist.

In the morning, laying down (laying in bed the entire time, not getting up,  not sitting up). I press the HR button (a little heart emoji beats), and it starts tracking for a minute - the speed jumps around erratically, and I don't know what the official rate is, like it goes 70....80.....75.....90....91....92...89...98...for the entire minute. Which is bizarre? Shouldn't it be more consistent and not spike around?

I tested it by doing like 5 minutes of warm up jumping jacks (barely any exertion) and it immediately went so high. Same with when I run. I try to run @ 30 minutes (5mph) and it seems within 15 minutes I'm up around 185 (according to the hand sensors on the treadmill, if those are even correct?).

Does this just mean I'm REALLY that unfit?? Is it not good to be around 180 for more that like 10 minutes, is that bad? Should I try to stick lower to the 150-160 range for good cardio, going up slowly over time?  Thanks for the advice!!

Edited by Blahblah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Blahblah said:

 I'm just concerned that it is in a dangerous/borderline range and wondering how long it will take to get into a fit range?? My mom had a heart attack (due to a hereditary arythmia or something) so I'm a bit paranoid....

If you are really concerned about it, I think the best thing might be to make an appt with your PCP, tell him/her your concerns, and see what he/she has to say.

They could do a Holter monitor test, which records your heart rate and rhythm over 24-48 hours...Then, the doctor checks it for any abnormalities. .........IMO, I think this would give a more accurate picture of what your heart is doing, than an ECG.

ECG is just a snapshot in time, and might not catch everything.....The Holter test is much more accurate, IMO.

I've had a Holter test myself.

Also, as @looking for answers said, there is the possibility that your fitness tracker may not be completely accurate.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Cool, an expert in the house! Wow you must be an athlete (I'm jealous). I'm well aware of the normal range for resting 60-100 (and my Max is 180). I'm just concerned that it is in a dangerous/borderline range and wondering how long it will take to get into a fit range?? My mom had a heart attack (due to a hereditary arythmia or something) so I'm a bit paranoid....

i just bought a cheapish ($29) fitness tracker from Amazon. That had 600 great reviews. It's a watch around wrist.

In the morning, laying down (laying in bed the entire time, not getting up,  not sitting up). I press the HR button (a little heart emoji beats), and it starts tracking for a minute - the speed jumps around erratically, and I don't know what the official rate is, like it goes 70....80.....75.....90....91....92...89...98...for the entire minute. Which is bizarre? Shouldn't it be more consistent and not spike around?

I tested it by doing like 5 minutes of warm up jumping jacks (barely any exertion) and it immediately went so high. Same with when I run. I try to run @ 30 minutes (5mph) and it seems within 15 minutes I'm up around 185 (according to the hand sensors on the treadmill, if those are even correct?).

Does this just mean I'm REALLY that unfit?? Is it not good to be around 180 for more that like 10 minutes, is that bad? Should I try to stick lower to the 150-160 range for good cardio, going up slowly over time?  Thanks for the advice!!

It takes a while, like anything it takes some work! I understand the concerns. If you are worried, by all means, go see a doctor! better safe than sorry. But it sounds like the connection is a little off, thats why its jumping, maybe see if there is some troubleshooting for connectivity issues.

 

185 is high, id doubt its that high, but, again, when in doubt, you can always double check it manually and compare.......ive had times were mines way off that way. If you see that 185 stopp immediately and check your carotid or wrist and see where your pulse is.....

Its high, its tough to keep that high for 10 min, i wouldnt keep it that high for 10 min, but ive done hour workouts keeping my hr avg of 158 ish......so its doable......my suggestion is to do whats comfortable. I can maintain in the 155 range and have a conversation with you to an extent. Where as others cant breathe and have chest pains and blurry vision. Vice versa some in the 130 range are uncomfortable. Stick with whats comfortable, what you feel is safe, and gradually build up

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, looking for answers said:

It takes a while, like anything it takes some work! I understand the concerns. If you are worried, by all means, go see a doctor! better safe than sorry. But it sounds like the connection is a little off, thats why its jumping, maybe see if there is some troubleshooting for connectivity issues.

185 is high, id doubt its that high, but, again, when in doubt, you can always double check it manually and compare.......ive had times were mines way off that way. If you see that 185 stopp immediately and check your carotid or wrist and see where your pulse is.....

Its high, its tough to keep that high for 10 min, i wouldnt keep it that high for 10 min, but ive done hour workouts keeping my hr avg of 158 ish......so its doable......my suggestion is to do whats comfortable. I can maintain in the 155 range and have a conversation with you to an extent. Where as others cant breathe and have chest pains and blurry vision. Vice versa some in the 130 range are uncomfortable. Stick with whats comfortable, what you feel is safe, and gradually build up

Thanks @looking for answers Sounds reasonable. I guess I'll start easy and not overdo it (I've a tendency to push myself, maybe too much). I seem to be OK around 160, but yeah 185 seems really high, def not sustainable and at that rate I get super out of breath, tight chest, throat starts hurting. I just hope it doesn't take forever to get in cardio/heart shape again. I'm not consistent with exercise, so I can't expect much only going once per week, but I'm so impatient!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Thanks @looking for answers Sounds reasonable. I guess I'll start easy and not overdo it (I've a tendency to push myself, maybe too much). I seem to be OK around 160, but yeah 185 seems really high, def not sustainable and at that rate I get super out of breath, tight chest, throat starts hurting. I just hope it doesn't take forever to get in cardio/heart shape again. I'm not consistent with exercise, so I can't expect much only going once per week, but I'm so impatient!

unfortunately, consistency is key! but obviously you do what you can

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tachycardia starts at 100 beats per min. and can go up to 400 beats per min. Many meds, anxiety, stress, and physical exertion are some of the causes Generally tachycardia that is most common is sinus tachycardia. It is the safest kind of tachycardia to have and often needs no treatment. I had a resting heart rate of 111 due to some of the meds I took for several years. Doctors were never concerned about it. I started taking propranolol to tame a hand tremor caused by Abilify and found propranolol at lower doses effects heart rate more than blood pressure My resting heart rate is in the 80's now due to being out of shape. It is common that your heart will beat over a wide range of rate but it is the sustained resting heart rate that is an issue.

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/atrial-fibrillation/what-are-the-types-of-tachycardia#1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks @notloki good to know (I get paranoid about stuff, and start Googling endlessly) I am really out of shape at moment, so hopefully can get back into a gym routine. I just want to make sure I stay out of the danger zone. Plus being on a stimulant, don't want things to get worse, or have my pdoc take me off it because my heart is being wacky.

Edited by Blahblah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By Blahblah
      3 years ago, I tested as "subclinical hypothyroid" and was put on Levothyrox. TSH went down to around 2, with slight improvement of symptoms (can't say it was dramatic).. but coldness and fatigue went away a bit.
      Fast forward, I ended up going off over a year ago (moved, new docs etc), didn't notice a huge difference after I stopped the Levo. A year ago my TSH was 3. Then when I started Ritalin, I initially wasn't fatigued, my bodytemp is warmer/sweatier with Effexor. Does Ritalin affect your Thyroid? I was told some A/Ps and A/Ds can. I'll soon get a blood test.
      I sleep a ton yet NEVER have energy, my vision is suddenly awful very blurry, dry eyes...I have itchy, red, dry skin that is not helped by moisturisers and sensitive skin products. I guess I don't know if these things are Thyroid-related symptoms, or side effects from my psych meds or both!
    • By Blahblah
      Pdoc FINALLY upped Ritalin (LA) to 30mg in morning, and I take 10mg (IR) in afternoon. Been on consistently about 1.5 years (note, it’s a real pain to get it here, they treat it like street meth & it’s the most benign stimulant!!)
      I have bad energy crashes within 5 hours, then crave chocolate (which I usually dislike), I have more coffee. The IR 10mg in afternoon seems to do nothing. Trying the 20mg IR in afternoon, which might be better, but wears off in 2 hours, I don’t want to mess up my sleep or jack up my heart rate.
      Note, I’m not taking for ADD (but for depression add-on) my physical energy, alertness & motivation just crashes now. I just get tired & need to nap.
      Any ideas? (I’m 50kg) Pdoc says they dose per kg, usually 50mg-60mg max for me. If I increase again, I’ll quickly be screwed (it initially worked so well!). I know Adderall is more potent, but worried about neurotoxicity and irreparable brain damage when I eventually go off (don’t plan on being on forever). I’ve heard Adderall is more “speedy” and can be agitating as well.
    • By Blahblah
      So I've been taking an added afternoon dose of Ritalin (10mg IR) the last few days. I usually take only 20mg (extended) in morning, but was told I could add a bit in afternoon (for boost) if necessary.
      I literally feel more tired/drained after taking it. WTH. I don't regularly take any afternoon dose, so why would it have already pooped out? I feel like coffee gives me more of a boost that this! Grrr. I hate to take double, because my pdoc didn't prescribe it that way. I also don't want to effect my sleep (I have no sleep issues at moment)
      Why is it making me so tired? This afternoon dose is not apparently working at all? Does this mean I actually need more?
    • By mikl_pls
      I am taking stimulants for numerous reasons--primarily for ADHD and idiopathic hypersomnia, but also because I'm obese and trying to lose weight (with diet and exercise of course) and because amphetamines heretofore have been the only thing that really make me a functioning human being.
      I was curious though. From y'all's experience, which stimulant inhibited appetite and/or caused more weight loss, that is, between Ritalin (and all their products), Focalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, or some other stimulant. I have actually even taken Desoxyn, twice, and to be honest, it's nowhere near as potent as Adderall or Dexedrine.
      To my understanding, appetite inhibition can be extricable from weight loss; i.e., one can lose weight from a medicine without experiencing much appetite suppression, one can experience drug-induced anorexia without losing much weight, or both at the same time, or neither.
      IME, so far, this is what I've experienced... I'll list the stimulant/anorectic and max dose taken.
      Appetite suppression/anorexia:
      Dexedrine (60 mg) Adderall (60 mg) Dexedrine Spansules (30 mg) Adipex-P (37.5 mg) Adderall XR (90 mg) Wellbutrin IR/SR/XL (450-500 mg) Bontril-PDM (210 mg) Tenuate (75 mg) Desoxyn (15 mg) Vyvanse (70 mg) Adzenys XR-ODT Metadate CD (20 mg) Ritalin (30 mg) Focalin XR (25 mg) Evekeo (20 mg) Belviq XR (20 mg) Tenuate Dospan (75 mg) Contrave (32 mg/360 mg) Weight loss:
      Dexedrine (60 mg) Adderall (60 mg) Adipex-P (37.5 mg) Tenuate (75 mg) Dexedrine Spansules (30 mg), Adderall XR (90 mg) Wellbutrin IR/SR/XL Desoxyn (15 mg) Bontril-PDM (210 mg) Metadate CD (20 mg) Belviq XR (20 mg), Evekeo (20 mg), Focalin XR (25 mg), Ritalin (30 mg), Vyvanse (70 mg) Contrave (32 mg/360 mg), Tenuate Dospan (75 mg), Adzenys XR-ODT So I've not tried very high doses of the (dex)methylphenidate meds, and have been curious about trying a higher dose (40-60 mg, maybe higher). Focalin might be okay, but it gave me tremors, anxiety, and panic attacks at 25 mg. Vyvanse did nothing much at all except jack my resting heart rate up to 120+ BPM.
      This list was very hard to compile, and I don't really know if it's too accurate.
      I'm heavily considering trying methylphenidate again, specifically Metadate CD, because I actually felt something on it as opposed to regular Ritalin. I was considering asking my NP for a Metadate CD dose of 30-60 mg, or maybe 30 mg x2 or something like that, with some Ritalin 5-10 mg, maybe 20 mg, to take 1/2-1 up to three times per day prn.
      The tried and true med is Dexedrine for me, specifically the IR, but I want to give that a break for a little while.
      I'm curious to see how (dex)methylphenidate affects my ADHD more than it affects my weight loss/appetite suppression as well.
      I know this post was rather scattered and long, but if you made it through it, any input would be much appreciated!  
×
×
  • Create New...