CrazyBoards.org

Is there an atypical that has a low risk of metabolic syndrome?

I have someone questioning my taking abilify when I have type 2 diabetes.  They think it may get better if I changed meds.  I really don’t want to go through another med trial, but if there is a better option I will ask my pdoc.

12 minutes ago, confused said:

I have someone questioning my taking abilify when I have type 2 diabetes.  They think it may get better if I changed meds.  I really don’t want to go through another med trial, but if there is a better option I will ask my pdoc.

While there may be more options, you might not want to ditch a med that works if it is not worsening issue. Does your pdoc carefully watch for worsening metabolic issues? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

While there may be more options, you might not want to ditch a med that works if it is not worsening issue. Does your pdoc carefully watch for worsening metabolic issues? 

Thanks.  My pdoc does not follow my labs, but I see an endocrinologist.  I take medications for lipids, diabetes, hypothyroid along with psych meds.  Everything is pretty stable. Diabetes runs in my family along with the other issues.

it’s my own fault. I posted a pic of my morning meds and supplements on a mental health forum thinking people would relate and I got someone questioning my meds. I am not going to stop taking anything but I do question my choices.

15 minutes ago, argh said:

Geodon

I did a quick google and am not sure of that

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/ziprasidone-geodon-associated-with-increased-risk-of-hyperglycemia-diabetes/

All AAPs as has been said have the propensity to cause weight gain, hypertryglyceridemia, and type 2 diabetes (or worsen T2 diabetes), but whether this is clinically observed in any given patient is another thing entirely. Just because it can doesn't mean it will (e.g., with high-risk meds like clozapine and olanzapine), and just because it isn't supposed to doesn't mean it won't (like aripiprazole, ziprasidone, Latuda, Rexulti, and Vraylar). Aripiprazole isn't supposed to make people gain much weight if at all, but some gain upwards of 7% of their baseline bodyweight when starting it, and continue to gain for as long as they're on the medicine, whereas some people just don't gain weight on olanzapine or clozapine at all. All this is to say I guess is that there is a difference between actual clinical effects and the effects observed in trials. As has also been said, if you're closely monitored by an endocrinologist and your diabetes isn't worsening or anything, there may not be any reason to change. If it could be better, I suppose changing diabetes meds could help before having to change diabetes meds or anything—that's how I view it though because it's a lot easier to stabilize that than it is to stabilize moods.

• Like 1