CrazyBoards.org

Posted (edited)

My tdoc and I want to move away from my daily walking routine (50 minutes roughly) because it's not getting me in the type of shape i want to be in (back to hiking mountains--that'll take a while).

Swimming and running are off the table.

I'm leaning toward exercise videos.  To start, I need low-impact because my prior stress fracture starts acing up if I do too much at once.  I'm assuming youtube has some good options, but I wanted to see if anyone has found something/someone good that they like. 

Any takers?

Edited by dancesintherain

I'm down for it.  Should be some funny ones also.  I will start soon in this thread.   Good idea. We used to have a daily exercise thread for members to post in, but I don't know where that is now

Calesthenics? Reddits bodyweight fitness has a routine though it might be more dude oriented.

Something like a trx?

Kettlebell? Swings are a great cardio workout.

I do all 3..not in the same session. I rotate

I worked with a trainer at a gym for a while, she was a big fan of the Butt Bible on YouTube, she recommended I try it for a good whole-body home workout.  I honestly can't say I have tried it yet, but my intentions are good, I might one of these days.  I can at least pass on her advice to you :)

Just for slow/off days:

yogawithadriene.com

Or her YouTube channel 

Her dog is awesome too 

Older videos are better. Recently she seems to cater to lower denominator 

Jessica Smith has a free youtube channel and sells dvds. Not really my "thing" though I tried one of her early walking workouts years ago (I like mainly like step aerobics and more choreographed stuff) but she is quite popular and maybe if I gave her newer stuff a chance I would like it better. I think she just had her first baby within the last year though and so is putting out stuff less frequently so as to spend more time with her baby in the first year. I hear Jenny Ford does some basic step aerobics on her youtube channel (never hurts to try and convert someone to step aerobics as we're a dying breed it seems).

My favorite non-step dvd is from somewhat of a one (or rather two-) hit wonder: Kristin Dowell. I adore her Dressed Up Drills. I usually follow the person to her left (right side of screen) showing the low impact option but there's room to grow with that one depending on which of the 3 women you follow and you can easily just pick one or two segments to do depending on your stamina, how long you have to work out, etc.. I also like her Hi Lo Recharge but choreographed hi/lo is not everyone's cup of tea. I've done my fair share of choreographed hi/lo (think Amy Bento and Christi Taylor) so I picked up on it within a few times doing the dvd since it's pretty athletic and not too dancy or complex but Dressed Up Drills is a much safer, more mainstream pick. Plus, hi-lo recharge is out-of-print anyway I think. I can vouch that Dressed Up Drills feels a lot less tedious (for me) than walking (though I walk indoors on a treadmill) and it gets my heart rate up a lot higher and for longer than when I walk--though that's pretty easy these days since I'm at least 100lbs overweight and a couch potato.

You can view a preview of Dressed Up Drills here: 

21 hours ago, DogMan said:

Just for slow/off days:

yogawithadriene.com

Or her YouTube channel 

Her dog is awesome too 

Older videos are better. Recently she seems to cater to lower denominator 

yes, I've done one or two of her yoga videos and seem to recall I liked them. Yoga, even if it won't necessarily whip you into shape quickly, depending on what it means to you for you to be in shape, is a really good adjunct to other exercise. I just went to yoga yesterday after a three or four month absence, and I have been sooooo much less functional and mobile than when I was doing it at least once a week. Also good for balance for hiking.

• Like 1

so I've started trying this -  

It's been pretty good to me so far.  I'm out of shape enough that I can't even use water bottles (their alternative to weights).  I just use my own body weight .

Thanks for all the ideas, though--I'll definitely explore some.  I just figured I'd post what I'm currently trying.  I like the coaches.  They're upbeat without being obnoxious.

• Like 1