CrazyBoards.org

Haldol at 30 to 40 mg a day didn't stop my mania when I was younger, or maybe it did but that amount caused me all sorts of problems.  I understand the drug still has a place in treatment but I am once burned now twice shy about the drug.  In fact I remember pleading with them not to give me Haldol in a stupor state the 3d time I was put in seclusion and they were giving me crap while I was groggy, in the dark, and lifting my head to pour shit down my throat.  YMMV and I am BP1 so what do I know.  I do know that trying to earn money at 40 mg a day was difficult. 

Edit:  Obviously still a little bitter about my time in the era of first gen antipsychotics.  Again, that was then and the approach w/ Haldol has changed and it still has a place I suppose.  

Edited by Will

I'm sorry that happened to you it sounded awful..  I 'm on a way lower dose.  

It's not enough though, the trackers are every wehre and they're reporting on my movements.  I feel pressure in my head and that happens when they're tracking me so I know I'm not well.  There were funny noises in the hall way I was worried twere THE people come to take me - the trackers report to them - but it was probably a neighbour.  

I took 3mg last night I don't know how quickly that should work to stop the trackers but it didn't work last night normally htey're just on the subway but now they're everywehre.  I took ativan too so I slept.  

I emailed pdoc's admin again to ask him if I should go up on dose and if so how much and when.  I want the trackers to leave me alone.  I don't like the pressure in my head.  

Thanks for your response.  My post was not really germane to the thread.  I think in the past on the board I have gone off about Haldol, so I'm a broken record.   But your present is more important than my past so I hope your pdoc can respond to your situation.  

Also jarn, I don't really know your personal story that well so I need to leave this topic alone.

Edited by Will

That's okay Will.  Your experience does sound awful.  I've been lucky in comparison.  I hope pdoc responds he has been responsive.  We will see I guess.  

Thanks @echolocation and @dancesintherain.  Pdoc got in touch and said I needed to go to psych emerg at his hospital (so they could see all my records) - ugh - so I did.  I'm fine now, but then that's been the pattern with Haldol - the later in the day it gets, the less psychotic I am - which seems super weird to me since I take it at night, I've honestly no idea.  Anyways, all the doctors worked together - I'm now on 5mg and can go up to 7.5mg.  They gave me instructions to bring to my GP Tuesday.  Toby came with an advocated for me not to be kept there, which I was also very firm in not wanting, and thankfully - they listened.  Anyways, SHOCKINGLY, 2-3mg is not a therapeutic dose.  Sigh.  

Thanks...he will.  I think the dose increase will make a world of difference.  

glad to hear your pdoc was responsive and there's a plan (that it sounds like you're okay with?). I'm glad Toby was able to help with the advocacy piece, though I know you're a great advocate as well.

I'm glad I'm going up what seems like it could be a low maintenance dose (given I at least with loxapine have been able to take typicals are lower overall dosages than AAPs) but that I'm actually on a therapeutic dose now.  What a crappy first day of vacation though!  

Toby says I advocated well for myself, but I really think if he hadn't been there I would've been admitted.  They talked to him privately for about 15 minutes.  I think not only was he able to speak to my functioning but also make them feel like I had support and back up at home.  

jarn, it sounds like for all that he's conservative, your new pdoc is responsive and that's good.

I'm really glad you have Toby, too.

Happy thanksgiving. Keep us updated.

Thanks Geek.  I feel pressure in my head this morning and I don't want to walk the dogs as I'm scared there will be trackers outside, but Toby can do that.  I will shop with him though and I hope he'll help.  

If this follows, I should be fine come afternoon.  It doesn't make sense.  Why do the psychotic symptoms go away the further I get away from my dose?  

But thanks re: Thanksgiving.  We're having three friends over for Friendsgiving tonight.  We picked up the turkey and a small apple pie from our local small family butcher yesterday - I'd reserved one - ye gads - I don't know how much we'll be able to give away as two people are having/have had Thanksgiving at their place too...but man.  I don't eat meat so hopefully the one friend takes lots.  I'm sure you can freeze turkey meat too.  I was going to make turkey soup with the carcass for Toby.  Mmm, carcass.  He's anaemic (ironically haha because I'm not, and I'm largely plant-based but totally vegetarian) so I made him meat loaf with chicken liver the other day and I had to chop the chicken liver in the blender.  Let me tell you, I cook him meat all the time and used to feed the dogs raw (including frozen goat heads with tongues and eyeballs) and none of that bothered me, but liver slurry....oh wow.  I've never seen anything so gross.  Used ground elk and ground pork and he really likes it.  To each their own I guess.  But that was a huge digression, other than to say that we're going ahead with Friendsgiving despite not having shopped or cleaned.  Holy clusterfuck!!!!!