CrazyBoards.org

Which doc for RX? I'm confused.

First, I just want to say....

ROFLMFAO!!!!!! :)

"Could You Say That Again? I Was Listening to My Head."

I haven't been here awhile and I hadn't seen this subtitle... I'm going to have to use this line the next time I'm in a social situation (in 6-9 months, say).  That is absolutely PERFECT!

OK so here's my question... I was on stims before but wasn't able to afford the doc and RX after awhile and had to go off.  Now I have insurance and I need to set up an appointment with someone to start treatment again but I'm wondering... does it absolutely have to be a psychiatrist?  I mean, jeez, they're expensive and utterly worthless for anything other than scratching out illegible prescriptions.  If there were actually any interaction beyond that then MAYBE it might be worth the $150 per monthly visit (I don't think my co-pay is gonna cover 12 months a year, not counting the extra visits when RX is not working and has to be changed a week later). 

My son gets his monthly adderall RX from his pediatrician... the visit costs $35, and that's without insurance.  So why can't I get my script from a regular MD?  I do plan on going to counseling as well, of course, but since psychiatrists don't do that lowly stuff anymore and an MD can prescribe stims, why do I need a Psychiatrist? (Pdoc?)

;)

TIA

OK so here's my question... I was on stims before but wasn't able to afford the doc and RX after awhile and had to go off.  Now I have insurance and I need to set up an appointment with someone to start treatment again but I'm wondering... does it absolutely have to be a psychiatrist?

if you're going back on a medication you've been on before, and you're certain of your diagnosis, and can find an MD who is comfortable writing the rx... then no not absolutley of course not. 

your insurance, by the way, probably will cover medication management with a pdoc if you go off their list of prefered providers.  stims aren't refillable rx's, but you can have your doctor mail you the rx once a month, and only go in every 3 or 4 months (legally you have to go either every 3 or every 4, i forgot which one.)  on months when i can't make the drive to my pdoc, he mails me my rx's.  another doctor of mine would leave the rx with his doorman, etc. 

the reason why i tend to harrangue people that they shouldn't see a GP for psych meds is that GPs aren't always the best people for diagnosis.  a lot of people end up under or poorly medicated, bipolar slips through the cracks, etc.

but, if you're going back on a med you've been on before, and esp. if you'll be in talk therapy while getting your rx from your GP, it sounds reasonably safe to me. 

good luck

penny

Some psychiatrists may not bill/charge if all you are coming in for is a refill script

that you can pick up at the front desk.  The drawback is that the script may be

written out in a hurry between patients, and a Sched. II prescription has to be

exactly right.

If you have non-psych medical issues; your GP *is* keeping track of all your

meds/conditions; AND you are both sure of your psych diagnoses, then go

with the GP.

If you are like certain relatives of mine, you'll need to have a written listing

of your medications and a written list of your allergies for any doctor's visit

so it may not matter who does the prescribing... (and hospital staff never

read that stuff anyway)

Archived