CrazyBoards.org

My pdoc has prescribed Chantix to help me quit smoking, but I'm scared to death to take it. Has anyone here taken it and if so, what was your experience?

I quit for 2 years and made the mistake of smoking "just one". I am so mad at myself

Thanks

22 minutes ago, trailmix said:

oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. I'm so scared of taking this medication.

I've never tried Chantix, but have you ever tried nicotine replacement to quit smoking  (patches, gum, lozenges)?......This worked for me, and I still chew a piece of nicotine gum once in awhile if I get a craving.

My doc knows I occasionally chew the gum, and agrees it's better than smoking a cig.....Also, for most smokers, it usually takes multiple attempts at quitting smoking before a smoker quits for good.

https://www.fda.gov/tobacco-products/health-information/quitting-smoking-closer-every-attempt

Give yourself some credit for staying off cigs for 2 years..!

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

It is nothing short of fantastic, it blocks all thoughts of wanting to smoke. It is more than a nicotine substitute.  Don't take it before sleeping it will mess with dreaming and you must take with food. Taking it without food made me vomit every time. I would not of taken it unless I was stable for a while, I bumped up Klonopin to 2 mg, occasionally taking 3 mg. I've been smoke free for over 10 years.

2 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I've never tried Chantix, but have you ever tried nicotine replacement to quit smoking  (patches, gum, lozenges)?......This worked for me, and I still chew a piece of nicotine gum once in awhile if I get a craving.

My doc knows I occasionally chew the gum, and agrees it's better than smoking a cig.....Also, for most smokers, it usually takes multiple attempts at quitting smoking before a smoker quits for good.

https://www.fda.gov/tobacco-products/health-information/quitting-smoking-closer-every-attempt

Give yourself some credit for staying off cigs for 2 years..!

Thanks, I used the patch last time I quit but this time around the urge to smoke is so much stronger. If I can get past that, I am happy to go back to the patch.

2 hours ago, notloki said:

It is nothing short of fantastic, it blocks all thoughts of wanting to smoke. It is more than a nicotine substitute.  Don't take it before sleeping it will mess with dreaming and you must take with food. Taking it without food made me vomit every time. I would not of taken it unless I was stable for a while, I bumped up Klonopin to 2 mg, occasionally taking 3 mg. I've been smoke free for over 10 years.

I am ok with taking additional Ativan, if necessary. Did you sleep walk or anything? Feel aggressive?

Oh, I see now where you mention dreaming. Did you just take it once a day, skipping the night time dose?

I took it twice a day, that is the indicated dosing.  Any aggressiveness was countered by the Klonopin increase.

Thanks, I am hoping if I take it several hours before I go to sleep that it will be ok. 

I am most afraid of sleep walking or doing other thiings in my sleep.

Anyone else taken Chantix? Good or bad experiences. I took the first dose this morning