CrazyBoards.org

Kinda offbeat question

One thing I have noticed after increasing my Ritalin to 10-10mg per day is that my ability to perceive musical patterns has increased. I'm spending like hours at a time just listening to music and enjoying it very much.

Are there any other medications that will enable me to perceive music more clearly. I listen to a very complex kind of music known as death metal and it is very complex.

I know this sounds like I am looking for something recreational but I'm actualy looking for something that will enhance my perception.

TIA.

• Like 1

Hah! A fellow death metaller (old school Entombed, Suffocation etc. fan here). I had a similar experience when first starting Ritalin but it sadly wore off quite quickly. I was watching YouTube music videos for hours, whereas normally I'd be taking sleeping meds to knock myself out to avoid the depression.

Anyway, I think Adderall and its brethren would be a good shot. You could also try Provigil, which has helped me focus like a demon (no pun intended) in the past, but not so much these days.

\,,/(>.<)\,,/

Pete

• Like 1

I actually read a study awhile back that linked Heavy Metal & Death Metal to higher IQ and intelligence. The below isn't the same article, but I couldn't find the original one

A study published today reveals that a disproportionate number of members in the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth (a body of 120,000 students which represents the top 5% of academic achievement) list heavy metal - or "metal", as its devotees these days know it - as their favorite kind of music.

http://www.deathmetal.org/news/the-strong-link-between-heavy-metal-and-high-intelligence/

"If you're a Mensa member whose best friend is a book of scientific equations then it's no surprise that you might fall in love with a band whose rhythmic tendencies are the musical equivalent of Einstein's theory of relativity."

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2019 at 5:40 AM, the maze runner said:

I hvae always believed that metal requires superior intelligence. This is because it is more complex to synthesize. There are multiple things going on in each song and you have to be computationally pretty quick to relate the various movements and rythms with each other.

I agree that metal as a genre tends to be very complex. There are different "types" of intelligence, and being musically inclined requires multiple forms of intelligence to be very honed. I don't believe that if one isn't musically inclined that they can't become musically inclined though, but some people just have a knack for it seemingly as though they were born with it. I'm not a huge metal fan personally (just not my cup of tea), but from what my best friend, @THE_REAL_Bryan, has shown me, it involves a lot of polymeter/polyrhythm, complex meter, lots of metric modulations, modes, mode borrowing, complex syncopation, and ridiculous rhythms involving nested triplets (usually in the drum part(s)). A lot of it seems like if one were really good at guitar/bass/drums/etc., that it would be extremely fun to play! I imagine it wouldn't be unlike me playing my clarinet in a wind band with very challenging music (David Maslanka comes to mind... lol). (I hope my friend joins in on this discussion! It's right up his alley.)

• Like 1

All y’all following this thread may have noticed that some of the content has suddenly disappeared. The content about:

“I know this sounds like I am looking for something recreational but I'm actualy looking for something that will enhance my perception.”

Enhancing your perceptions with drugs is pretty much the definition of recreational. 

I did a bit of research, and while the substances you’re advocating are technically legal, there are some gray areas, and they have not been approved by the FDA, and there’s no regulatory body keeping track of exactly how much of what goes in to any pill or capsule you ingest. It’s my job to keep you lot safe, and taking gray-market pharmaceuticals ain’t safe.

So feel free to talk about death metal, but don’t let me hear another word about enhanced perceptions.

Gearhead (admin)

1 hour ago, Gearhead said:

All y’all following this thread may have noticed that some of the content has suddenly disappeared. The content about:

“I know this sounds like I am looking for something recreational but I'm actualy looking for something that will enhance my perception.”

Enhancing your perceptions with drugs is pretty much the definition of recreational. 

I did a bit of research, and while the substances you’re advocating are technically legal, there are some gray areas, and they have not been approved by the FDA, and there’s no regulatory body keeping track of exactly how much of what goes in to any pill or capsule you ingest. It’s my job to keep you lot safe, and taking gray-market pharmaceuticals ain’t safe.

So feel free to talk about death metal, but don’t let me hear another word about enhanced perceptions.

Gearhead (admin)

I'm sorry, thank you for the heads up.

6 hours ago, Gearhead said:

Gearhead (admin)

Yes, @Gearhead this does fall into something of a grey area. While racetams are considered safe, they have never been evaluated for suitability for consumption as a medication.

So I guess I'll stay off this topic.

Edited by the maze runner

2 hours ago, the maze runner said:

Yes, @Gearhead this does fall into something of a grey area. While racetams are considered safe, they have never been evaluated for suitability for consumption as a medication.

So I guess I'll stay off this topic.

Well Keperra is a racetam and considered, along with Lamictal, as being first line therapy for seizures. However I don't think this fact indicates all racetams are safe.