CrazyBoards.org
grousemouse

please punt this to a relevant thread.

i realize that this is a thread about relationships, but this is a post about an absence of romantic relationships.
 i Did some reading and am trying posting here. i'm late forties, male, with either major depression or bipolar ii (treated and medicated years ago).

I had a three week relationship when I was 19 at a french immersion school, then I kissed a girl while drunk (her too) at a party when about 23. Had a several month online relationship with a 21 year old while i was 32 in which I think i fell in 'love' with her but she explored a physical relationship with a friend, so that ended.

that's my experience with romantic relationships. still a virgin. any thought of a relationship I internally dismiss because of my mental issues and history. 

when i was younger i wanted to have a big family but those hopes are I think gone. i am middle aged, a mental illness and addiction (alcoholic). i'm not suicidal but i just don't see a future on my current path.

in a fairly deep depression right now which is why i'm reaching out. curious to know if anyone has romantic relationship problems like me and has any suggestions.

i didn't notice a thread on this topic but then again i didn't really look. if there is one may an admin please punt it in that direction.

thanks,

grouse.

Nice to see you around here again, it's been awhile. I'm curious whether you avoid relationships due to social anxiety? Fear of rejection? or is more depression/withdrawal? There are many people that suffer major mental health issues, yet are still able to sustain romantic relationships. Have you had any insights from therapists? Or been treated for alcoholism?

I guess my thought would be to work on your depression & managing your illness(es) as much as possible, before diving into a serious relationship or emotional entanglement with someone. Others have always suggested to take up hobbies or classes, meetups just for the sake of the activity (not necessarily to meet a potential partner or anything), work on maybe developing more friendships first? Better to date someone you have already built some trust with.

7 hours ago, grousemouse said:

i realize that this is a thread about relationships, but this is a post about an absence of romantic relationships.
 i Did some reading and am trying posting here. i'm late forties, male, with either major depression or bipolar ii (treated and medicated years ago).

I had a three week relationship when I was 19 at a french immersion school, then I kissed a girl while drunk (her too) at a party when about 23. Had a several month online relationship with a 21 year old while i was 32 in which I think i fell in 'love' with her but she explored a physical relationship with a friend, so that ended.

that's my experience with romantic relationships. still a virgin. any thought of a relationship I internally dismiss because of my mental issues and history. 

when i was younger i wanted to have a big family but those hopes are I think gone. i am middle aged, a mental illness and addiction (alcoholic). i'm not suicidal but i just don't see a future on my current path.

in a fairly deep depression right now which is why i'm reaching out. curious to know if anyone has romantic relationship problems like me and has any suggestions.

i didn't notice a thread on this topic but then again i didn't really look. if there is one may an admin please punt it in that direction.

thanks,

grouse.

Mid 30s same boat.

Do you have a problem with empathy? I have sympathy as in I can detect emotions from others but not really feel much, if at all. No reason I'm asking in particular, just wondering if there were any other parallels.

i'm much younger than you (21) but i have such a powerful fear of intimacy/rejection that i seem unable to have a romantic relationship. i've had some opportunities, but none of them really came through because i get so scared and anxious that i can't do any of the romantic stuff (anything involving touch/emotional vulnerability). it's frustrating. on the other hand, i don't really care when my meds squash what little remains of my libido, haha.

Early 30s here. Never been in a relationship. I want to be - desperately, sometimes. But depression, social anxiety, and almost non-existent self esteem get in the way. I can't even figure out how to do face-to-face friendships, so...

No advice. Just commiseration.

wow. thanks for responding people. thank you.  

and yes, i certainly do feel like i suck. life does anyway.

my avoidance of relationships is based on deep anxiety and fear of pain (i am a total wimpso), but also the depression plays a large part. my self-esteem doesn't seem to exist - that'll be the depression which stems from anxiety, which kind of killed me in a way. haven't had a job in over 10 years and live with my folks. i have found therapists strangely useless on the relationship topic and i haven't sought treatment for alcoholism yet. my most recent pdoc suggested hobbies so i got into guns and motorbikes - i don't think that's what he had in mind though. lol. anyway, both fell by the wayside. i do coach soccer though so that gets me out of my comfort envelope. (no, i am NEVER intoxicated while in that role).

my opinion of myself is bad so the thought of exposing my self to others (romantically) is horrifying to me. it's a classic depression scenario i think.

I don't have a problem with empathy at all, in the sense that I feel a great deal of empathy towards others, particularly those who are suffering. that's something i learned about myself as i got older. i used to be like a walmart greeter here back in the day.

thanks all for your input.

grouse.

• Like 1