CrazyBoards.org

8 hours ago, Always Love said:

Does anyone have FMLA for their job? How exactly does it work? Does your direct supervisor need to know why you have FMLA, or is it just the human services department that needs to know?

Thanks

Here's a link that explains whether you're eligible for FMLA:   https://employment.findlaw.com/family-medical-leave/fmla-eligibility.html

I am not sure who at your job you would need to tell...Just guessing, but I'm thinking you can tell either your manager, or human services department.

Your manager is kept out of the FMLA process. HR should receive the FMLA paperwork directly.There is not anywhere on the FMLA paperwork for you manager to sign, the signatures you do  need are your doctors and the head of HR. Your manager is informed you are on FMLA leave and that is all. You don't need to disclose  your diagnosis. The one with the real power is your doctor. I went out on FMLA for several months and all my doctor had to write in a note wad that I was under their care with an acute illness and they judge you unfit for work.

• Like 1

@notloki I was on FMLA also, for like 4 months during/after IP. My pdoc submitted notes authorizing leave, but obviously, HR would know it was a mental health related crisis. (Note also said dept of psychiatry where he worked, as he was not in private practice)  Even if there was no diagnosis code listed, I was extremely ashamed and upset, it said psychiatry. I know they have a confidentiality policy, but HR people talk...word always gets around.

Were your notes from a psychiatrist?  I wish it only had a name with generic MD, and doctor registration license 😞

Edited by Blahblah

I was fighting a flesh eating infection, that was the reason for the FMLA. The psychiatrist was not involved except for telling me I could take as much Klonopin as I  wanted to.  My internist filled out the FMLA.

Of course they can google the doctor's name who filled out the FMLA to see what their practice is for.

I think every chronically ill person should be seeing a generalist, too. 

Also, when you’re on fmla, it covers having to take time off when you’re back, like for an appointment or treatment day, apparently. I had a coworker who had to get fmla just for that reason. It wasn’t just for extended time off. I won’t start on why we shouldn’t need it to protect it, because we do, is the reality. 

14 minutes ago, Gearhead said:

Jesus H. Christ! What do you do in your free time? Are you secretly the heir of Indiana Jones? Did you crash the wrong party at the CDC? 

It is one of the rare known side effects of the diabetes medication Invokana. I had to do stem cell therapy to regrow skin as my body wasn't, so there's no scar. Needless to say I have an attorney representing my interests against the manufacture.   

• 2 weeks later...