CrazyBoards.org

Identifying a manic

14 minutes ago, Will said:

And that's an illness.  So here's the corollary.  How do you separate delusions from reality.  

I don’t feel a special connection to everything around me when I am not psychotic or manic. Colours don’t look as brilliant or as pulsating. I am not religious at all when I am not manic, yet I always become so when I am manic. 

3 minutes ago, saintalto said:

I don’t feel a special connection to everything around me when I am not psychotic or manic. Colours don’t look as brilliant or as pulsating. I am not religious at all when I am not manic, yet I always become so when I am manic. 

And that's an illness.  A special connection to all, brilliant colors, spirituality

I'm catching on 

and as argh suggests, music is way nicer

Edited by Will

Self reflection is hard in general even for people without the burden of mental illness. I have temporal lobe epilepsy, too. Recently I had a tonic/clonic seizure and lost all recent memories for about a week. It totally freaked out my friends and apparently I was not showing appropriate concern.  

(and everyone else) I'm not BP, but I've experienced "Mixed" episodes also. I'm curious what yours are like? Sorry to hijack thread, but it is very connected to this topic.

With "mixed" everyone assumes (up & down simultaneously) like Bipolar. My predominant symptoms are depression, but rare times I get anxiety, trouble sleeping, worry, which triggers paranoia...I have insight, but for example, feeling like people are monitoring me, knowing details about me...worried about surveillance (mainly online) but sometimes, I'll have a thought or two about cameras being in my room,  people watching me on the bus..withdrawn, vigilant, sort of keyed-up, but super dysphoric. How do you classify this?

During it, I don't have more energy, rapid thoughts, nor grandiose plans. One occasion, I was reading more spiritual books, reading into things, psychic-type ideas (ideas of reference- like what THC can cause in sensitive folks), seeking out synchronicity in my life, from new-age, occult type books. Usually exhausted, but can't sleep. Haven't had this in years since I was working full time. It seems triggered by lack of sleep and anxiety (could it be more like quasi-schizoaffective episode?) Like a bad trip!

13 hours ago, argh said:

There are two kinds of mixed episodes. Mixed mania and mixed depression. In theory both have a dopamine dysregulation component.

Mixed depression entails severe agitation, anger and irritability (again, significantly MORE than usual), faster depressive mental activity (like fast snowballing ruminations or worry), anxiety, severe insomnia..tired not be proportional to sleep duration, dis-inhibition  with all the trimmings of your normal MDD.  Note that you only new a few of the "manic" symptoms, not all to  have this episode classified as mixed depression. As i understanding it's the inverse for mixed mania. I also think mixed mania is the same thing as dysphoric hypomania but don't quote me on that.

I'm not sure if psychosis is part of a mixed episode unless the person is BP1. Or maybe that ties into co-morbid psychotic depression? Depending on how little you are sleeping, the psychosis might be normal as normal folks will hallucinate when severely sleep deprived.

Insight is usually intact for BP2 for a BP2 dx. BP1 is a mixed bag

Hmmm. Neither description of mixed really fits what I've experienced (in the past), this was a long time ago, but might have been trauma induced, with brief psychotic break. I don't have problems with feeling irritable/angry nor manic/energetic.

Maybe it would be more stress/anxiety type of episode? Mixed severe depression + distress + dysphoria..