CrazyBoards.org

Most effective stimulant for add?

iLove

I’d been telling my psychiatrist my adderall (ir 20mg x2) wasn’t getting it done. And she said I couldn’t go any higher. 

I had an eval done today and it included the computer add test. I’d taken my adderall a couple hours earlier and really thought I did well. 

She said on the attention scale, the average score is 100. I got a 27. She said I need a new med and take the results to my doctor. I always thought adderall was the best, besides desoxyn which my psychiatrist won’t give me. 

Any suggestions? 

Edited by iLove

28 minutes ago, iLove said:

I’d been telling my psychiatrist my adderall (ir 20mg x2) wasn’t getting it done. And she said I couldn’t go any higher. 

I had an eval done today and it included the computer add test. I’d taken my adderall a couple hours earlier and really thought I did well. 

She said on the attention scale, the average score is 100. I got a 27. She said I need a new med and take the results to my doctor. I always thought adderall was the best, besides desoxyn which my psychiatrist won’t give me. 

Any suggestions? 

Dexadrine? And actually a few people on here, @mikl_pls maybe (sorry if I’m wrong) have said that desoxyn isn’t all it’s said to be 

3 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Dexadrine? And actually a few people on here, @mikl_pls maybe (sorry if I’m wrong) have said that desoxyn isn’t all it’s said to be 

Well that’s good to know about the desoxyn because I’ve always wished I could be prescribed it. 

I’ll mention Dexedrine to her. 

7 minutes ago, iLove said:

Well that’s good to know about the desoxyn because I’ve always wished I could be prescribed it. 

I’ll mention Dexedrine to her. 

Tried any long acting ones? Vyvanse? 

What about the methylphenidate family? 

Edited by Iceberg

You really need more but as that is not an option one of the pure dextroamphetamine formulations like Vyvanse, Dexedrine, or Zenzedi might be better. You can always take a drug holiday for a week or so. That will bring down your tolerance.

2 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Tried any long acting ones? Vyvanse? 

What about the methylphenidate family? 

I’ve taken concerta, vyvanse, and Adderall XR. I felt like the adderall xr gave me anxiety, so I always went back to adderall. I think concerta was my first med (20 years ago), so I don’t remember why I switched to adderall. The vyvanse wasn’t effective, but I thought the dose was low at 50mg. 

1 hour ago, notloki said:

You really need more but as that is not an option one of the pure dextroamphetamine formulations like Vyvanse, Dexedrine, or Zenzedi might be better. You can always take a drug holiday for a week or so. That will bring down your tolerance.

I took a drug holiday for 2-3 weeks a couple months ago when my son stole my adderall, and the pharmacy said I had to have a police report to fill early. 

I'm going to talk to her about vyvanse possibly at a higher dose. I’ll mention Dexedrine. And I have heard of zenzedi. Definitely going to look into that. 

46 minutes ago, saintalto said:

I always found old fashioned extended release Ritalin generics worked best for me. Adderall had too many side effects for my tastes. 

The sr? Or is there an xr? I’ve never taken that. 

I don’t get side effects from the regular adderall. Well it doesn’t even feel like I’ve taken it anymore. 

Thanks all for weighing in. 

With Vyvanse the conversion to dextroamphetamine is about 35 % so 70 mg of Vyvanse is 24.5 mg dextroamphetamine. For you the 60 mg capsule would be the equivalent  to what you are taking now. Actually it is 1 mg more, 21 mg. Vyvanse is unique in that you take it and your gut converts to dextroamphetamine, This process takes some time, with me it took an hour to kick in. Other amphetamine based meds don't this delay. Ny favorite amphetamine is Zenzedi as it is just dextroamphetamine. I like dexedrine for that reason too.  

Insurance wouldn't pay for Zenzedi but Vyvanse was on formulary so I took it for some time, The only drawback is the hour delay to get going. I just took it an hour earlier. Otherwise it is great. I also took IR dextroamphetamine, 10-15 mg in the afternoon as needed. 

Edited by notloki
  • Like 1

another one to throw into the pot is Mydayis (who the f_ck thought of that name? Christ). My PDoc says the folks who've tried it are getting 12+ hours off of it, which I find hard to believe. Vyvanse initially gave me 7 or so hours, then 5, then ... nothing really. Mind you, I take stimulants for my TRD, as well as probable ADD. 

HTH

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Yeah, Desoxyn caused me to feel dysphoric, weepy, spaced out, and eventually started causing psychosis (although that could've been from chronic sleep deprivation).

Dexedrine is much better than Adderall IME, and because not everyone is prescribed it, there isn't really much of a shortage of it like there is with Adderall. Good luck convincing your pdoc to prescribe it though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sming said:

another one to throw into the pot is Mydayis (who the f_ck thought of that name? Christ). My PDoc says the folks who've tried it are getting 12+ hours off of it, which I find hard to believe. Vyvanse initially gave me 7 or so hours, then 5, then ... nothing really. Mind you, I take stimulants for my TRD, as well as probable ADD. 

HTH

I’ve never heard of mydayis. 12 hour coverage would be amazing. 

Has anyone heard of jornay? I just got an ad for it. It’s methylphenidate that you take at night. 

1 hour ago, mikl_pls said:

Yeah, Desoxyn caused me to feel dysphoric, weepy, spaced out, and eventually started causing psychosis (although that could've been from chronic sleep deprivation).

Dexedrine is much better than Adderall IME, and because not everyone is prescribed it, there isn't really much of a shortage of it like there is with Adderall. Good luck convincing your pdoc to prescribe it though.

Ok Dexedrine is at the top of my list. If my stingy psychiatrist won’t prescribe it, my pcp will.

I get my adderall rx from both because my pcp will give me 3 scripts at a time, and my psychiatrist is 30 miles away. 

4 hours ago, iLove said:

Has anyone heard of jornay? I just got an ad for it. It’s methylphenidate that you take at night. 

Ok Dexedrine is at the top of my list. If my stingy psychiatrist won’t prescribe it, my pcp will.

I get my adderall rx from both because my pcp will give me 3 scripts at a time, and my psychiatrist is 30 miles away. 

You have to be super careful about going to other docs when one has already said no. Especially about a controlled substance. It can create issues and also just really piss them off 

37 minutes ago, iLove said:

It theoretically can give you up to 16 hours of coverage, but of course that's subject to vary.

38 minutes ago, iLove said:

Yes, it can also be dosed higher than regular methylphenidate prescriptions (up to 100 mg). There's another one called Adhansia XR that gives up to 16 hours of coverage, and can be dosed up to 100 mg as well, but they don't have a 100 mg capsule for it yet; the highest they have is 85 mg.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 4:48 PM, Iceberg said:

You have to be super careful about going to other docs when one has already said no. Especially about a controlled substance. It can create issues and also just really piss them off 

I just learned that they can find out if you do this. 

Can anyone tell me if this article affects whether Dexedrine or vyvanse will help? Also, I wonder if taking a stim and ap is what gave me td. 

it looks like I shouldn’t take both? But I can’t function without the stimulant. I’m pretty sure it’s since I started vraylar a month ago that my adderall quit working. 

Abilify has the same effect but not nearly as bad. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898838/

On 10/25/2019 at 9:32 PM, notloki said:

You can formulate it anyway you like, you can't get away from the fact that it is methylphenidate, Yuck. I liked it as a child but as an adult I did not. I found dextroamphetamine to be a smoother, superior stimulant. 

I was just about to say this same thing. I didn’t like concerta or Ritalin. I was wondering if jornay might have a different effect. 

What do you think about the article? I asked my scientist friend if she could find any info on whether aps affect stimulants and she sent me that. 

I’m in school. Studied for a test for 2 days and still made a D. I usually study for a few hours and make an A, but I couldn’t remember anything. 

I'm hoping I don’t have to quit the vraylar and go back on latuda. 

Lots of people take antipsychotics and amphetamines but there is not one big nervous system but it is modular, one drug affects one part of the nervous system while the other works somewhere else. In depression with comorbid ADHD there is some advantage to being treated with both. The article do not tell you to stop it just suggested a watchful eye.

IN the end anything interacts with other things you take on some level. You can't get away from it so like with it.