CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone ever get temporary paralysis?

This has only happened to me a few times before, but it happened again a couple of weeks ago. I can't find anything online to explain what happens to me. 

I suddenly really really depressed. I was already low, but it was a massive drop into an abyss. I started having bad intrusive thoughts and I lay down on my bed. My body went stiff and I couldn't move. I was in some kind of catatonia. I could hear things going on around me but couldn't respond. I was like it for hours. I wasn't scared, I was too spaced out.

The next day I still felt very slow & vacant. I went to the doctor but she didn't seem to understand what I was telling her. 

Has anyone ever had this? It sounds like catatonia but I think that is supposed to last for a long time, plus I don't have schizophrenia. 

Just wondering if anyone can relate... 

I've heard of this with PTSD, Autism, and, as you said, schizophrenia. That doesn't mean those are the only three diagnosis it can go with of course, just ones I have heard of. Also in terms of PTSD it usually goes with the fight / flight / freeze response rather than depression, right? And you weren't scared. I hope you find an answer

• Thanks 1

I have a couple times, but it was quite brief and the details were different. I suspect that they were probably different things

I'm fairly sure I've read that catatonia can occur with depression, though

• Like 1

Could it be something like this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

?

You said that it went on for long time which is not typical, but if you don't try to wake up from it then it may stay longer.

Some psych meds interfere with sleep patterns. I would look in that direction.

Edited by HydroCat

28 minutes ago, HydroCat said:

Could it be something like this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

?

You said that it went on for long time which is not typical, but if you don't try to wake up from it then it may stay longer.

Some psych meds interfere with sleep patterns. I would look in that direction.

Thank you, though I have had sleep paralysis before & it was completely different. I was wide awake & didn't fall asleep at any point, just felt physically & mentally 'stuck'. I even looked at it maybe being some kind of fit, but the symptoms don't match that either. It's so weird. 

1 hour ago, Ion said:

I have a couple times, but it was quite brief and the details were different. I suspect that they were probably different things

I'm fairly sure I've read that catatonia can occur with depression, though

I think I saw that somewhere too, I'll have to try & find more on it. Though I had this idea that catatonia was always more long term. I might be wrong.