CrazyBoards.org

Ritalin- Inconsistent effects?

I'm sorry if this question is redundant....

@notloki I know you're knowledgeable here.

I've been getting very inconsistent effects from Ritalin. I recently increased my dosage, because I was experiencing more fatigue afternoons and having to nap. I take 20mg (extended in morning, before I get up), then I take 10mg (extended) after lunch. Pdoc said I could take 10mgIR no later than 3pm if needed.

I'm compliant with this routine. Dose 40 minutes before getting up, same exact breakfast every morning: oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, nuts, coffee. Yesterday, I felt pretty good and energetic in the morning (both mentally and physically). Then today, I feel focused..yet, (sort of zombie-dazed staring at screen), incredibly drowsy/tired and apathetic, like I really need to nap. I get plenty of sleep every night.

Is there a reason this is happening? Seems doses effect me differently all the time. I prefer extended because the IR (while it hits more noticeably) I feel more intense energy crash and can become moody...Note: Pdoc will not let me change until I hit the max (60mg), and other stimulants (even Adderall) are either extremely hard or impossible to get prescribed here.

Edited by Blahblah

This sounds like a manufacturer issue. Do you switch makers often ?  If you can nail down which manufacture(s) work Your doc can write a script that specifies this.Your pharmacy has historical records, they can tell you which manufacturer's tablet you were on when it worked.

1 hour ago, notloki said:

This sounds like a manufacturer issue. Do you switch makers often ?  If you can nail down which manufacture(s) work Your doc can write a script that specifies this.Your pharmacy has historical records, they can tell you which manufacturer's tablet you were on when it worked.

Nope, it's always the same, although Effexor I've had different ones on occasion, I've been given different manufacturers. Wonder if that could be the culprit?

10 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Yesterday, I felt pretty good and energetic in the morning (both mentally and physically). Then today, I feel focused..yet, (sort of zombie-dazed staring at screen), incredibly drowsy/tired and apathetic, like I really need to nap. I get plenty of sleep every night.

Is there a reason this is happening? Seems doses effect me differently all the time. I prefer extended because the IR (while it hits more noticeably) I feel more intense energy crash and can become moody...

This could also be a result of either the medication stopping working too soon or stimulant "rebound," which is when the medicine clears the system too quickly and is no longer occupying receptors/inhibiting transporters.

If it's the former, perhaps a different formulation of methylphenidate could work better. Ritalin SR (or Metadate ER) works for only 2-8 hours at a time. Dosing 2-3x/day is what would normally be the solution to this, but if for some reason it's working less than 2 hours per dose, changing the formulation might give better results. Ritalin LA (which are 50% IR/50% DR) works for 6-9 hours, but it often falls short of this duration of action, and often needs to be dosed twice daily. Metadate CD is 30% iR/70% ER and works 6-9 hours as well, and tends to work the full 6-9 hours (as opposed to Ritalin LA). Concerta, the extended release mechanism of which is called "osmotic-release oral system" (or OROS for short), can work up to 12 hours. The think to be wary of is that the Concerta dosage doesn't equally correspond to the amount of methylphenidate that is in it milligram per milligram (IOW, 72 mg Concerta, the official max dose, which most pdocs and physicians think is 12 mg above the max methylphenidate dose, is actually only 48 mg of methylphenidate (divide the Concerta dose by 4.5 and multiply by 3 to get the amount of methylphenidate). The "unofficial" max dose is 108 mg, which has 72 mg methylphenidate. There are many more formulations in the US, most of which may or may not be available where you live.

If it's the latter reason, then raising or lowering the dose may help. Or it could be that the methylphenidate isn't the stimulant for you, in which case switching to either dexmethylphenidate (Focalin/Focalin XR) (if it's available where you live) or an amphetamine-based stimulant (not sure which ones are available where you live, but I bet dextroamphetamine and Vyvanse are probably among them...).

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

This could also be a result of either the medication stopping working too soon or stimulant "rebound," which is when the medicine clears the system too quickly and is no longer occupying receptors/inhibiting transporters.

If it's the former, perhaps a different formulation of methylphenidate could work better.

If it's the latter reason, then raising or lowering the dose may help. Or it could be that the methylphenidate isn't the stimulant for you, in which case switching to either dexmethylphenidate (Focalin/Focalin XR) (if it's available where you live) or an amphetamine-based stimulant (not sure which ones are available where you live, but I bet dextroamphetamine and Vyvanse are probably among them...).

Thanks @mikl_pls !! I have the feeling it's a combination of 2 things below (hoping I can mitigate):

1.) Is tolerance when med is less effective than when started? Used to be very noticeable when kicking in, increased motor activation (moving foot up/down), complex task motivation & endurance (important tasks I always avoid) and appetite suppression (now I get big hunger pangs within 2-4 hrs taking). I loved the lifting of depression/mood (main reason for taking it)

Despite increasing dose + afternoon dose, I often feel this really slow, drained, zombie-effect (obsessive laser-focus, but with super arbitrary stuff (getting stuck on reading random articles for 6 hours straight, glazed over, spending an hour re-reading/editing/re-writing an email to friend over & over (like 5 TIMES?!!) It's like OCD! Feels yucky...! Then afternoon (after 2pm dose) I feel so tired I nap...

2.) Maybe it is wearing off too soon? I COULD be a rapid metaboliser (unsure), so maybe it's leaving system too quickly?  I drink 3 coffees per day, plenty of water...sometimes take vitamin C supplement & wondering if all this causes excess excretion?

Dosage forms are complicated. I've found the extended (SR, LA) def do not last the timeframe listed...Hmm just trying to see what will give me the best stable coverage throughout the day (not effecting my sleep) and won't make me irritable, or feel that yucky "tired & tweaky" effect, with bloodshot eyes, totally zoned out..staring... (you know what I mean!!!!) Maybe I'll try a break and just stick with coffee 😞

Edited by Blahblah

*Wanted to add: when I start struggling, drained, dragging in early afternoon, everythings very slow to complete...I lose track of all time and end up being late for everything and forgetful. etc. I've always had a problem with running behind, but it seems to be getting worse? Time awareness & ability to act quickly