CrazyBoards.org

ADD symptoms and BP symptoms

This is weird-

Ok. I'm BP1. My main symptom is anxiety, and I also have psychotic symptoms of paranoia. My thoughts race at times, and at other times are dead. Sometimes I get lost in thought or cannot think. I forget what I was doing. I do not comprehend what people are saying. I have to write down everything and ask for examples to be shown to me a couple of times.

I'm not stupid, even though I feel like it a lot. I have a college degree and did well in school.

I'm wondering if my symptoms are from my BP or if I should ask my treatment team about possible ADD? I don't know enough about ADD to know if my symptoms could qualify. I just know my thoughts are uncontrolled and it is hard for me to work like this.

This is weird-

Ok. I'm BP1. My main symptom is anxiety, and I also have psychotic symptoms of paranoia. My thoughts race at times, and at other times are dead. Sometimes I get lost in thought or cannot think. I forget what I was doing. I do not comprehend what people are saying. I have to write down everything and ask for examples to be shown to me a couple of times.

I'm not stupid, even though I feel like it a lot. I have a college degree and did well in school.

I'm wondering if my symptoms are from my BP or if I should ask my treatment team about possible ADD? I don't know enough about ADD to know if my symptoms could qualify. I just know my thoughts are uncontrolled and it is hard for me to work like this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the general rule of thumb is that if the symptoms can be attributed to anything known to

exist other than ADD, then that's probably where they come from.  If it comes and goes, it's

definitely not ADD... Remember, the original term was "minimally brain damaged" , as AD(H)D

pretty much presents the same symptoms as someone who's had her frontal lobes jacked hard.

There are a number of good books on the subject that you might benefit from reading. If

nothing else, some of the, um, less productive,  interpersonal behaviors associated with

uncontrolled AD(H)D  overlap with those of BPD (except we don't have to be manic to stir up

trouble, just conscious {OK. The less conscious and more bored out of our skulls, the more

likely trouble is a few caustic comments away} )

As to the racing/jammed thoughts. I like the quote (in one of Dr. Amen's books?) where the kid

described ADD as "My brain just won't shut up"  The speed of thought depends not on mood

swings but more on the stimuli present...

Then there's also the issue that stimulant meds aren't always kind to bipolar folks who don't

have AD(H)D as an active comorbid condition.

But, it can't hurt to ask for a professional opinion.

Some of the symptoms do overlap. And I can see why it could be easy to confuse bipolar II with ADHD, since mild hypomania can be similar to hyperactivity.

But, you're bipolar I right? Then the simple answer is that ADD/ADHD doesn't cause mania.

But you still feel that you have ADD/ADHD symptoms, right? Then it's s a good idea to bring it up to your pdoc pdoc. You are NOT dumb or lazy. Even bipolar can cause concentration difficulties.

Don't forget, it's not that rare to have both diagnoses. I do.

People say that ADD doesn't come and go, but I think that's a hard call as there will be better and worse times. Stress, exercise, immediate environment and so on make huge differences. Of course my pdoc suspects I have, maybe, very mild BP, so the preceeding may just be a result of my point of view.

My pdoc is thinking I have ADD symptoms not attributed to BP.  Even when my

BP is well controlled I still have attention & concentration problems.  The 300 mgs

wellbutrin he prescribed in December is helping.  Racing thoughts can be

attributed to anxiety, mania, ADD.  It's all so confusing.  Maybe just let pdoc

know what your symptoms are and he'll know where to go from there (hopefully)

I have some of the same symptoms. Racing thoughts alternating with brain fog, forgetful, trouble concentrating exept when something really interests me. My mother and sister both insist I have ADD. Pdoc says doubtful, but possibly a mild case, Tdoc says no way- it's all due to anxiety. I'm on 300 mg WB too; 400 made me irritable and even more anxious. I recently added 10 mg Lexapro to ounteract the stimulating effect of WB. I don't think SSRIs are an option with bipolar, are they? Maybe adderall or concerta wold help.

I have BP NOS, GAD and/or Social Phobia, and ADD. I am taking Lamictal, Seroquel, klonopin, and Dexedrine. In fact, pdoc just upped the Dexedrine.

I have good days and bad days as far as concentration, thinking, communication - talking and listening-, energy, and brain death same meds every day just every day is different. BP and ADD are often co-morbid Dxs. Talk to your pdoc.

it's a good idea to jot down how your status has been before and after meds that you've taken.  For instance, taking certain meds can exacerbate a condition, taking an ADD med exacerbated my OCD big-time (and at that time I didn't know anything about OCD so i figured i was bipolar as hell, though once the ADD med was gone i didn't have any irritability nor OCD issues.....)  In regards to having ADD, only you can really tell if you are fulfilling your social and intellectual potential to at least 85 to 90 percent on a daily basis......  Trying a stimulant wouldn't be a bad idea, but watch out for the anxiety to possibly reach near the ceiling. 

Guest LizMoonstar

you know, describing my brain sounds very similar to the OP, but when lithium made me worse and ritalin made me better, they decided it was ADD.  now i want to ask them, because it seems like my prozac/xanax/ritalin regimen isn't really doing it for me lately.  maybe there is something else in there with the ADD, but then again maybe the paranoia fits and depression come from having too vivid and uncontrollable an imagination?

i really should just register here, but i never seem to get around to it...

yes, especially you helena, we seem to often have overlapping disorders. I've wondered for years if my brain fog/overactive brain issues are due to BP1 or ADD. My pdoc wonders too.

Maybe we'll try something for the ADD and see if that helps, and perhaps use treatments to narrow down what could be my issue.

Archived