Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone read the article The Dopamine Dilemma?


Recommended Posts

And can translate it for me? Or tell me what I need to switch to. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898838/

Vraylar has rendered my adderall completely useless. Abilify does this to some extent but not nearly as bad. 
 

I really like vraylar, but if there’s no way to fix my add, I have to find something else. 
 

Last time I took it, I had an adverse reaction to seroquel. Latuda keeps the mania at bay, but does nothing for depression. I hated geodon. What are my options? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just read it- the problem is if you need an ap and a stim there’s not necessarily a way to pinpoint which one will be best. As they say the general action of stims and APs generally overlap. Which means you run the interaction risk with probably most APs depending on the approach. Also, it sounds like more studies have investigated why it’s bad and not necessarily how to optimize the situation. Interestingly they mention primarily D1 and D2, but Vraylar acts more on D3 so I guess theoretically it would possibly have less overall interaction...but these things are highly variable per person  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Rexulti if you tend towards depression 

zyprexa, risperdal or possibly saphris if towards the manic side of things 

What  mood stabilizer(s) do u have on board? 

I take lithium. 
 

I rarely get depressed. Only 3 episodes in the last ten years, but the one I just had was horrible and I’m terrified it’ll happen again. 
 

I refuse to take zyprexa because of the weight gain. I’ll check out risperdal and Saphris. 

1 minute ago, Iceberg said:

Just read it- the problem is if you need an ap and a stim there’s not necessarily a way to pinpoint which one will be best. As they say the general action of stims and APs generally overlap. Which means you run the interaction risk with probably most APs depending on the approach. Also, it sounds like more studies have investigated why it’s bad and not necessarily how to optimize the situation. Interestingly they mention primarily D1 and D2, but Vraylar acts more on D3 so I guess theoretically it would possibly have less overall interaction...but these things are highly variable per person  

That is interesting. I guess a trial and error period will be my best bet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, iLove said:

I take lithium. 
 

I rarely get depressed. Only 3 episodes in the last ten years, but the one I just had was horrible and I’m terrified it’ll happen again. 
 

I refuse to take zyprexa because of the weight gain. I’ll check out risperdal and Saphris. 

That is interesting. I guess a trial and error period will be my best bet. 

So you know- lithium effects adderall too 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

According to pdoc at least I can’t find the specific interaction right now but it can supposedly lower effectiveness- but I haven’t had problems 

That would make sense because I’ve only been on it a few months. And I told my doctor my adderall wasn’t doing its job a couple months ago. It’s just so much worse now. 
 

My doctor is so useless. She doesn’t tell me anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, iLove said:

That would make sense because I’ve only been on it a few months. And I told my doctor my adderall wasn’t doing its job a couple months ago. It’s just so much worse now. 

I don't know how much Adderall you're on now, but maybe increasing Adderall dose just a bit might help, if your doc agrees?............Just a thought.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You do not necessarily need to treat ADD with medication. It's more important to me that I not have psychosis or mixed moods and almost all ADD meds cause that in me, so I'm not really allowed near a stimulant medication. I guess I could take Strattera, but I've learned tools to manage my ADD without meds now and I don't really see any need for it anymore. You just have to be well aware of your symptoms and what works to counteract them. It's more work and a lot of trial and error, but I have to say that ADD meds flattened me to a noticeable extent and I feel I laugh easier and express myself creatively more effectively without them anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But amphetamines Have such a DRAMATIC EFFECT on the severity of adhd and depression that is would be cruel and inhuman to deny me them. I ah sorry you are one of the ones where the side effects do not justify the means,

The same can be said for Abilify.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...