CrazyBoards.org

I am very disgusted and Frustrated I have been going to the gym close to a year and haven't lost much weight at all I lost 17 pounds and now I am stuck at this weight and gained four pounds of the 17 lost in the first place I am doing everything right and eating better I cut out snacks and still am not losing anymore weight. I am losing hope that I will ever get this weight off I am aggravated and frustrated beyond words its not like I can take diet pills but I am considering it since I cant seem to get the weight off through diet and exercise, as a last resort I am considering diet pills even if they aren't safe for me to take. I have Schizoaffective Disorder and cant take just any diet pill but I am willing to chance it that's saying how desperate I am to see weight loss results and I also considered having The Lap Band done at some point in my life. I need advice on what to do to combat this weight issue of mine that has been a issue for many years now well since being on psych meds and a antidepressant what should I do?

Topamax in a low doses will kill your appetite, its an anticonvulsant but at low doses it helps you lose by controlling your appetite. We are talking 25-50 mg; so you miss the nasty side effects, like making you stupid. The other med is Metformin, it is used in Diabetes II to reduce insulin resistance but many find they shed pounds using it. I did.

I have tried Topamax didn't do a thing for me for weight loss or anything at all including Anxiety and I am afraid to try metformin my sugars are already low and I am afraid it will cause me to stroke out. So I don't know what to do now thanks for trying to help me anyhow.I have tried Alli in the past its way to expensive I think around 70 dollars for a bottle I could go back to it but I don't want to stay on it from now on I lost like 30 pounds on it but then I gained it back once I went off of it. I will talk to my Dr. first before trying anything and see what she recommends I do for losing weight and keeping it off and I want something I can take every day and its safe to do most over the counter diet pills you cant do that you can only take them for a short time or have serious side effects if you stay on it from now on.

I lost 50 pounds by getting into running. I'm not talking just a few 5k's a week though. I run 6-8 miles 4 days a week, and a 10+ mile run on the weekend. It's helped me shed the weight I gained on my medications that my body would not let go of for over 10 years. I also watch what I eat very closely... every calorie is accounted for. You'd be surprised what can sneak in there if you are nibbling on this and that all day, even if it doesn't seem like much. 

• Like 1

I am afraid to try metformin @notlokiI will just bump up my Exercise routine and cut out snacking so much and see what happens wish me luck. Running is out of the question and not for me I would be out of breath in no time if I did that,I have severe sleep apnea and that wouldn't work out to well but thanks anyway @saintalto.

11 hours ago, notloki said:

WHY ? It is a drug millions have taken for decades, if there were any problems they would of shaken out by now.

I don't know just skeptical about trying a new med that's all and whether it will work for me But I may ask about it,it was mentioned to me at one time at one of my appointments. If it works that would be great

On 11/3/2019 at 6:46 PM, Melina777 said:

I am afraid to try metformin @notlokiI will just bump up my Exercise routine and cut out snacking so much and see what happens wish me luck. Running is out of the question and not for me I would be out of breath in no time if I did that,I have severe sleep apnea and that wouldn't work out to well but thanks anyway @saintalto.

I can understand you being afraid to try a new med, but as @notloki mentioned, Metformin is a tried and true medication that has been around for a long time....If I were you, I would at least give it a try, if your doc agrees.....It might help you take off the weight.

Also, do you have a swimming pool available at your gym?....Swimming is great for exercising.

2 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I can understand you being afraid to try a new med, but as @notloki mentioned, Metformin is a tried and true medication that has been around for a long time....If I were you, I would at least give it a try, if your doc agrees.....It might help you take off the weight.

Also, do you have a swimming pool available at your gym?....Swimming is great for exercising.

there is no swimming pool at the gym I go too and I will talk to my Dr. about Metformin and see what she says.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I am on Metformin 500mg now haven't lost a significant amount of weight been on it for over four months. My doctor put me on a small dose to see how I would tolerate it. So far haven't had any adverse reaction I would of in the beginning if I were to have any side effects they would show up when I first started it. My doctor wants me to continue taking it to bring my Insulin Level down and keep my sugars in check they are creeping up some but in the normal range so far. I am disappointed that I haven't lost more weight with it. I lost like 8 pounds in the first month being on Metformin but no more than that like I have read some people lost a lot more than that. Maybe I have to be on it longer I don't know. But I know being overweight isn't healthy and that's the reason I need to lose a significant amount of weight but haven't been able to do that it's like I am stuck at a plateau right now. And it's very frustrating for me I get labs drawn in April to see if the metformin is helping to bring my Insulin Level down if not, I don't know what I will do that's up to the Dr. Just an update will update at a later time once I get labs drawn to see if any change and what to do next.

Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2022 at 2:12 PM, CrazyRedhead said:

@Melina777, are you on any kind of an eating plan to  help lose the weight?........Maybe your doctor could recommend a dietician?

no, I eat just about anything my Dr suggested diet plans for me she didn't go into detail on what kind of diet just said to google it. I am tired of gaining and losing weight or being stuck at the same weight for a long time. I don't know what to do really other than cut back on what I have been eating too much of. It's frustrating and annoying to me that I haven't been able to accomplish my weight loss goals. I am doing Alli every other day but haven't lost any weight with it like I had in the past it just cramps my stomach for the most part don't know if any other diet pills out there besides Alli are safe to take with the meds I take which may interact with them and cause other horrible side effects like heart palpitations and chest pain I had that happen to me before taking garcinia Cambodia pills so I had to stop those immediately. I feel stuck and hopeless right now not, knowing what to do to help me shed the weight I have a lot to lose and nothing i have tried is working. As far as a dietician isn't that expensive I don't know if my insurance would cover that.

Edited by Melina777

2 hours ago, Melina777 said:

. As far as a dietician isn't that expensive I don't know if my insurance would cover that.

Some insurance companies will cover dieticians.....

Here's a list of some free online weight loss programs:  https://www.livestrong.com/article/241120-free-online-weight-loss-programs/

Edited by CrazyRedhead