CrazyBoards.org

Being around people is very problematic

I have bad social anxiety, which is still an under statement. I can't form friendships or relationships AT ALL, except on the net, which is still questionable. It has been with me all my life. People come and go and I have come to a point where I just avoid it all together. I have tried, but eventually I want nothing to do with them and avoid them all together.

School or work presents this problem at full force. I don't work or go to school anymore because it happens over and over again. I quit, start back, quit, start back, etc. To make things worse is that I keep trying again. I'm only kidding myself cause it NEVER gets better. People say working eventually becomes easier, it never does.

It's embarassing at times because I don't talk much and have force myself to do so being paranoid that I have to, since I would see my co workers day in and day out. I don't know which is worse, staying silent, or talking. It just gets so bad either way. I am sooo far out there around people. I am viewed as a psychopath. Very anti-social to the core.

Can anyone relate to this? Hopefully therapy will help. I don't want any stupid tips like breathing better, smiling, or whatever. I need to get to the root of this problem and make it go away!

You sound like my twin except I'm probably much older than you. I was ruminating about this same thing as I sit here on my 12th hour online. I dont even believe therapy can help me anymore, people are out for money and making me talk abt my childhood for two years is played out. I dont have any answers, I am gonna check out this occupational training place to see what its about. And also there is a place that has group therapy, art therapy and classes and such. My moods are too funny for me to survive at work for too long so I either get fired or leave. I do best when I control my own time and I'm not forced to talk to co-workers

I am very uncomfortable around people most of the time.  I, too, feel I must say

something to break the awkward silence, and small talk annoys me.  I find it

almost unbearable at times.  I fluctuate between talking about petty things that

interest other people, to keeping my headphones on so no one will talk to me.

I was the "weird one" at my kids busstop.  Sometimes I just wanted to disappear

if I had to hear about someones nail appointment one more time!

Oh, Boy!  I can relate because I feel the same way you do.  I work 2-3 days a week for 5 hours a day and it is incredibly anxiety producing.  I actually fear people talking to me because I'm afraid I'll have an anxiety attack.  And I've been told over and over--keep doing it and it will get easier, but only slightly so far (6 months).  I've been on lots of meds and been in therapy forever, so I'm not sure what the answer is.

I'm massively underemployed because I'm too anxious to go on job interviews of any importance and don't think I could handle the stress of the career I am trained for (because of the interaction with people and clients).

All I can offer is that it has gotten marginally better and I thought I wouldn't last a day. 

Good Luck.

I haven't tried therapy yet, well maybe about 3 sessions. He didn't really know what to think of me though... This is really the last thing for me to try. I hope it goes well. My meds are somewhat working for depression which is a good sign.

I haven't worked in about 2 months. The same thing keeps happening. Maybe if I get a loner job it will be better? That's all part of the avoidance issue though. Therapy, please work...

• 2 weeks later...

I have bad social anxiety, which is still an under statement. I can't form friendships or relationships AT ALL, except on the net, which is still questionable. It has been with me all my life. People come and go and I have come to a point where I just avoid it all together. I have tried, but eventually I want nothing to do with them and avoid them all together.

School or work presents this problem at full force. I don't work or go to school anymore because it happens over and over again. I quit, start back, quit, start back, etc. To make things worse is that I keep trying again. I'm only kidding myself cause it NEVER gets better. People say working eventually becomes easier, it never does.

It's embarassing at times because I don't talk much and have force myself to do so being paranoid that I have to, since I would see my co workers day in and day out. I don't know which is worse, staying silent, or talking. It just gets so bad either way. I am sooo far out there around people. I am viewed as a psychopath. Very anti-social to the core.

Can anyone relate to this? Hopefully therapy will help. I don't want any stupid tips like breathing better, smiling, or whatever. I need to get to the root of this problem and make it go away!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the story of my life. -__-

i do though, find that if you feel needed or wanted, it gets better.  i don't know how it is for you, but when i DID go to school, i got some joy out of it because i would get praised for doing well.  i would slowly break out of my shell and just casually make comments or things, though not build friendships.

i try to think that people don't care if i do this wrong, or that, it's just a human thing to make mistakes, if that's what you're afraid of.

the story of my life. -__-

i do though, find that if you feel needed or wanted, it gets better.  i don't know how it is for you, but when i DID go to school, i got some joy out of it because i would get praised for doing well.  i would slowly break out of my shell and just casually make comments or things, though not build friendships.

i try to think that people don't care if i do this wrong, or that, it's just a human thing to make mistakes, if that's what you're afraid of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well in school I can barely function. Sitting in a small classroom surrounded by people makes me far too paranoid. Then the instructor is looking out at me... too much for my brain to handle... overload... I have forced myself through it and am actually almost done with general studies. I had to drop out a lot. I'm surprised I've come event his far.  I'm going to try again while on meds...

I really don't know what I'm afraid of. I can push myself to face situations, but I burn out far too often. It has really turned into something so evil and vial that I can't quite make out exactly what's going on. I have always been socially anxious, shy, or whatever you want to call it. It goes downhill from there. ;)

Do you do anything that involves people now? I left my last job 3 months ago.  I don't do jack right now.

Archived