CrazyBoards.org

How does lack of sleep affect you?

I need quite a bit of sleep to feel ok, 9 to 10 hours a night. I am somewhat ok on 8, functional, but on 7 I start to get very depressed and irritable, and that magnifies with any less than that UNLESS it's 0.. if I stay up all night I get... I guess it's hypomania? It feels wonderful, I feel connected with the universe, really creative, I do creative things, write like crazy, have a terrible headache that I am perfectly ok with. . . but it's not a good thing for long of course, the flip side is no fun. Once my sleep goes back to normal either i go back to normal or i get very depressed. Not worth the risk, and of course I have to sleep eventually

15 minutes ago, Antecedent said:

I need quite a bit of sleep to feel ok, 9 to 10 hours a night. I am somewhat ok on 8, functional, but on 7 I start to get very depressed and irritable, and that magnifies with any less than that UNLESS it's 0..

With sleep medications, I usually get at least 6, occasionally 7 hours sleep......Nothing seems to get too bad unless I get less than 5 hrs.

If I get less than 5 hours, my depression,  OCD and anxiety get much worse, and I get very irritable.....That hasn't happened in a good while, though.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

With sleep medications, I usually get at least 6, occasionally 7 hours sleep......Nothing seems to get too bad unless I get less than 5 hrs.

If I get less than 5 hours, my depression,  OCD and anxiety get much worse, and I get very irritable.....That hasn't happened in a good while, though

I am about the same except I don't get OCD if I miss sleep. After many years of practice I've gotten sleep well controlled so I get 8 hours quite often. I've had insomnia the longest, it goes back to my early teen years. Before the depression started. Just recently I had another sleep study and it showed I had 162 mins.of sleep where my O2 saturation was below 90%. This is significant. Anything below 90% is too low, you really want it to be 95% saturation or better. This messes with sleep and causes several other problems like cell death. Neurological tissue is very sensitive to O2 saturation. I had sleep studies 10 and 15 years ago and I did not have oxygen saturation issues on these studies. I've basically been on my present cocktail for a long time so it would seem it is not the drugs suppressing my breathing that is causing me to dip below 90% saturation. I now have an oxygen concentrator in my bedroom and take supplemental  oxygen by nasal cannula while I sleep. This has really improved my sleep and I wake up more rested and awake.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, notloki said:

I am about the same except I don't get OCD if I miss sleep. After many years of practice I've gotten sleep well controlled so I get 8 hours quite often. I've had insomnia the longest, it goes back to my early teen years. Before the depression started. Just recently I had another sleep study and it showed I had 162 mins.of sleep where my O2 saturation was below 90%. This is significant. Anything below 90% is too low, you really want it to be 95% saturation or better. This messes with sleep and causes several other problems like cell death. Neurological tissue is very sensitive to O2 saturation. I had sleep studies 10 and 15 years ago and I did not have oxygen saturation issues on these studies. I've basically been on my present cocktail for a long time so it would seem it is not the drugs suppressing my breathing that is causing me to dip below 90% saturation. I now have an oxygen concentrator in my bedroom and take supplemental  oxygen by nasal cannula while I sleep. This has really improved my sleep and I wake up more rested and awake.

@notloki I'm assuming the oxygen issue is Sleep apnea? I'm curious what other signs would you have if you had sleep apnea? (Apart from snoring and feeling unrested)  Initially I thought obesity caused it, but then read that anyone can have it no matter what your weight.

I oversleep. Even when I do set an alarm, I often will need to snooze and remain in bed 2 hours. I do track my sleep (not sure if accurate) but it says I get 2 hours deep sleep per night and then 6 (or more) hours of light sleep. I have no problem falling asleep (if it's not too early). But regardless if I get 8 hours + sleep per night, I struggle to get up, and I'm fairly low energy most of day. I often even take naps in afternoon.

20 hours ago, Blahblah said:

@notloki I'm assuming the oxygen issue is Sleep apnea? I'm curious what other signs would you have if you had sleep apnea? (Apart from snoring and feeling unrested)  Initially I thought obesity caused it, but then read that anyone can have it no matter what your weight.

I oversleep. Even when I do set an alarm, I often will need to snooze and remain in bed 2 hours. I do track my sleep (not sure if accurate) but it says I get 2 hours deep sleep per night and then 6 (or more) hours of light sleep. I have no problem falling asleep (if it's not too early). But regardless if I get 8 hours + sleep per night, I struggle to get up, and I'm fairly low energy most of day. I often even take naps in afternoon.

No, it is not Apnea.  I am diagnosed with Nocturnal Hypoxia. I had 1 apenia in the night. I would have to have a whole lot more events. Apnea has also not shown up on previous tests. 

If you are having Apneas that last long enough you will have hypoxias but the reverse is not true. Unless you have an EEG monitor the  results of these smartphone apps are very inaccurate. Snoring is a major sign but you can still have apnea if you don't., others are not feeling rested after a normal amount of sleep and daytime sleepiness. Your naps could be a sign. Your oversleeping and not being able to wake on time could indicate some kind of breathing problem (apnea is a breathing problem).

Edited by notloki
I did not answer all his questions.

Everyone should have a overnight sleep study as breathing problems are very common. There are other sleep disorders not just apnea. Generally insurance pays for sleep tests, they often limit how many you can have in a year. I got away with having 3 as I changed insurers several times.

• Thanks 1