CrazyBoards.org

I'm due to start this as soon as the process has chuntered through. 

I've been taking Aripiprazole for a year but have been having restless legs, like severely, and as I'm due to start job hunting soon...

The thing is, I also have Anorexia, and so weight irk. The psych said that I wouldn't get any weight side effects from such a low dose, but I need evidence aha!

How has been this dose for people who have taken it? Thanks.

Thanks. Glad you had such a good experience of it. 

My Anorexia is making the fear more intense for me. 

I feared weight gain from Zyprexa so I was put on Latuda which I really love. I haven't had any side effects from it which is a welcome thing. If you fear weight gain from a drug, you can always push for something else, that's what I did.

@~nestling~ I’m on 20 mg of Zyprexa the Zydis form (melts in your mouth) and I’ve been losing weight! So it’s definitely different for everyone. YMMV for sure. For instance, seroquel was the big weight gainer for me. But for others, they don’t gain weight on it at all. But zyprexa has been good for weight neutral to weight loss for me. Believe me, I feared it too. Especially when my dr wanted to up the dose to 20 mg. It’s a wonderful med for me so I hope it can help you too and that you don’t get any weight gain side effect!

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese

19 hours ago, saintalto said:

I feared weight gain from Zyprexa so I was put on Latuda which I really love. I haven't had any side effects from it which is a welcome thing. If you fear weight gain from a drug, you can always push for something else, that's what I did.

That's good to hear. Sadly I am so sensitive to most meds, the psychiatrist didn't really know what to prescribe for me. I'll have to see how things go. I'm still going through the take Ari every other day thing at the moment in the meantime until the O comes through. It's a weird experience. 

7 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

@~nestling~ I’m on 20 mg of Zyprexa the Zydis form (melts in your mouth) and I’ve been losing weight! So it’s definitely different for everyone. YMMV for sure. For instance, seroquel was the big weight gainer for me. But for others, they don’t gain weight on it at all. But zyprexa has been good for weight neutral to weight loss for me. Believe me, I feared it too. Especially when my dr wanted to up the dose to 20 mg. It’s a wonderful med for me so I hope it can help you too and that you don’t get any weight gain side effect!

I'm pleased it's worked out so well for you. I actually lost weight on Quetiapine, which surprised everyone! Thanks so much. 

Wow, I gained 50lbs on Seroquel.  I've lost and re-gained it.  

Trying to start eating low-carb today - apparently olanzapine changes how your body metabolises so that it doesn't use carbs but burns fat, and so carbs sit around and cause insulin resistance.  I haven't started olanzapine yet, but my pdoc was saying it's a good way to eat with mood disorders as there is some evidence eating low carb/keto helps with mood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be fair I wasn't on it for long, and did restrict more while taking it... 

Thanks for the info, that's really helpful. What sort of things are you eating?

I don't really eat meat (bacon occasionally), so cheese, avocado, bacon, vegetables (low carb ones so not a lot of root ones say), that sort of thing.

The latest news is that my GP practice now have the letter about my medication change, and it's been sent on to my GP. So now I have to wait for it to be prescribed, and probably ordered in at the pharmacy.

In the meantime I am getting withdrawal side effects from the reduction of Aripiprazole, which include very little sleep. 

On 11/16/2019 at 6:26 PM, jarn said:

apparently olanzapine changes how your body metabolises so that it doesn't use carbs but burns fat, and so carbs sit around and cause insulin resistance.

Actually the reason that olanzapine causes type 2 diabetes is the reason why it has very little movement related side effects. It's a potent muscarinic acetylcholine blocker of many receptor subtypes. But specifically, its antagonism of M3 muscarinic receptors (which are predominantly located on pancreatic cells) fundamentally alters your body's insulin production and resistance. Antagonism of other muscarinic receptors reduces movement related side effects much like Cogentin does when it's given for akathisia. Cogentin and other anticholinergics also carry this risk for type 2 diabetes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the information. 

I have my Olanzapine! The pharmacist from my GP practice phoned me "You have a phone appointment" Um, no I didn't make one. But anyway, she prescribed my new med, and I collected it on the way home from voluntary work. They didn't even have to order it in!
I start it tomorrow night. I'm hopeful and nervous all at once.

How soon before going to bed should I take it? 

7 hours ago, ~nestling~ said:

Thanks for the information. 

I have my Olanzapine! The pharmacist from my GP practice phoned me "You have a phone appointment" Um, no I didn't make one. But anyway, she prescribed my new med, and I collected it on the way home from voluntary work. They didn't even have to order it in!
I start it tomorrow night. I'm hopeful and nervous all at once.

How soon before going to bed should I take it? 

Maybe trial and error on the time. They always told me 1/2 hour to 1 hr before you want to sleep is a good starting point for sedating meds 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Maybe trial and error on the time. They always told me 1/2 hour to 1 hr before you want to sleep is a good starting point for sedating meds 

Thank you. I guess I'll take it before I read before sleep then, like I did with the Circadin. 

I remember 2.5mg of olanzapine. 30-60 minutes before bedtime should definitely be good enough.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both. I'm also going to try going to bed earlier than I usually, which has been around midnight! Any ideas on the best time? No later than 11?

13 minutes ago, ~nestling~ said:

Thank you both. I'm also going to try going to bed earlier than I usually, which has been around midnight! Any ideas on the best time? No later than 11?

Well what’s your daily schedule- like when do you want/need to get up?