CrazyBoards.org

Complicated toad

Took med not prescribed to me

Admittedly, I have done this before, acquired meds from someone else's stockpile, but this may be a new low.  Took 1\2 a Xanax from my dog.  She has plenty left, so I won't leave her deprived, but I feel bad.  At the same time, I also feel much better thanks to med.  I've had serious anxiety and panic all my life but have never been able to get anyone to prescribe benzos, not even in the short term.  They only give meds that make my depression worse.  So I am stuck with the option to treat depression or treat anxiety, never both.  I usually opt to treat depression because it is the more debilitating.

No judgement, but as a thought - if the vet finds out what you're doing, they may stop prescribing them for your dog.  

(I've given ativan to my husband to help him sleep (it doesn't, WTF) and we share migraine meds with each other, so I am just trying to think of what the potential ramification could be here)

A thought:  I take gabapentin for anxiety, and find it very effective (more so than benzos, for me anyways, but everyone is different).  Your sig says you take it, I don't know what for.  I know it doesn't help everyone, but if you can't get prescribed benzos for your anxiety, would upping gaba help?

Its not helping yet, but the dose is still pretty low, i can see about getting an increase at my next appointment.  It seems like ive gotten more depressed since being on it, but i suppose that could be the time of year too.  Good to remind me of potential consequences, it would be really unfair for her to lose out on meds she needs because of my stupidity.....i will try for the gaba approach before doing that again 

8 hours ago, Complicated toad said:

I've had serious anxiety and panic all my life but have never been able to get anyone to prescribe benzos, not even in the short term.

No docs have ever prescribed benzos for you, when you have severe anxiety and panic?

Are docs in your area just anti-benzo in general?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I assume they must be, one diagnosed me as panic disorder with agoraphobia and only would prescribe seroquel for it.  I'm sure it's also because I had an alcohol problem when I was younger.

Wondering how you’re doing.

Like @jarn I take gabapentin for anxiety. It does seem to help, mostly with the kind of constant underlying panic. I take 600mg at breakfast & lunch, then 1200mg when I get home from work (so it can help reduce post-work anxiety enough to sleep). 

2 hours ago, Geek said:

Wondering how you’re doing.

Like @jarn I take gabapentin for anxiety. It does seem to help, mostly with the kind of constant underlying panic. I take 600mg at breakfast & lunch, then 1200mg when I get home from work (so it can help reduce post-work anxiety enough to sleep). 

Never had a benzo myself but I find gabapentin to be quite good.

To be fair I suppose, I find all of my meds work on anxiety.