CrazyBoards.org

Do you have a type of agnosia while on the spectrum?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a type of agnosia while on the spectrum?

• Somatosensory agnosia or Astereognosia (inability to recognize objects by touch)
    • Color agnosia (inability to recognize color)
    • Prosopagnosia (inability to recognize faces)
    • Agnostic alexia (inability to recognize text)
    • Topographic agnosia (inability to recognize places, direction)
    • Other
    • None

I was wondering who else on the Autistic Spectrum have some sort or agnosia (inability to recognize objects, people, sounds, shapes, or smells). The most common (I believe) is prosopagnosia (inability to recognize faces) and topographic agnosia (inability to recognize places, direction).

I have both prosopagnosia and topographic agnosia, and never even knew what it was until I found information on it. I also found it is common in people with neurological and developmental disorders. I was wondering of peoples information or personal stories on this who are on (or know another on) the Autism Spectrum.

i'm not on the spectrum, but some of the sypmtoms described me well, THEN i found the thread about nvld which is me -to a t-, and yeah, i have some degree of face blindness & the one about not recognizing surroundings.  i'm very good at following maps.  i have to be.  i do not remember landmarks until i've driven something over 5 times at least.

i'm not on the spectrum, but some of the sypmtoms described me well, THEN i found the thread about nvld which is me -to a t-, and yeah, i have some degree of face blindness & the one about not recognizing surroundings.  i'm very good at following maps.  i have to be.  i do not remember landmarks until i've driven something over 5 times at least.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm surprised at your difficulties (then again, my memory is mostly photographic - so I've got other issues!).

It's hard to remember anything unless I have a mental photograph of it - Often, I can also remember tones of emotion (but not always the words) - such as song and musical melodies.

My biggest issue though, is agnostic agraphia/alexia/aphasia - I can never figure out the right word to say or write (tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon), and sometimes I don't recognize words that I'm very familiar with.  It'd be fine and dandy had this not all just come up the past 3 months...  :embarassed:

P.S.  Klumbus? I came from Indinaplus myself... then wentta college in Cle'lan on the Kayhoga, you know, tha ri'rr that brned?

hey i grew up in Caucasian, i mean Cuyaguh Falls, right ON the burning river!!!

it always amazed me when people would say cuy-a-ho-ga falls, when everyone who lived there said cuyaga.  snicker.

i have a photographic memory for the written word and for repeating conversations.  very narrow boundaries on what types of info i remember.  and just because i can repeat your exact words later doesn't mean i remember that i will recognize your face again!

• 1 year later...

Hi Twitch,

I've written a lot about my own meaning deafness and meaning blindness, also about face blindness.

At a shrinks house when I was 19 I was checking out something on her shelf when pronounced 'you're agnosic', I asked what it meant and she said 'you don't know what you see'. Otherwise I was assessed as a psychotic infant, aged 2 in 1963, then labeled disturbed in the 70s through childhood, then dx'd with autism in my 20s in 1991.

I know objects by placement, moving them, seeing them used, the sound when tapped...otherwise I'm delayed, sometimes utterly perplexed. But once I shake the thing I know what it is. Anyway, I used to see things in bits, but now I can see as a whole (see Like Colour To The Blind) but I am more object blind on my left side than right, and am relatively context blind and fairly face blind (didn't recognise my reflection as me until very late either). I was dx'd with language processing disorder (verbal agnosia so it effects my reading too... but I understand written or verbal anguage well when gesture and representational objects are used), but all in all I'm a great systems thinker, very good at kinesthetic and musical learning. But I'm very peeved at the stereotype that all autistics 'think in pictures' (obviously said by one without visual agnosia! and in any case 60-65% of the general population think in pictures). If you're looking for literature have a look at my books at my site... there's 9 of them.

All the best. ... Donna Williams *)

Archived