CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Evey

Bad side effects from Melatonin?

Was wondering about people’s personal stories of getting bad side effects from Melatonin. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Evey said:

Was wondering about people’s personal stories of getting bad side effects from Melatonin. Thanks!

When I tried it, quite a awhile ago, it seemed to make me even more depressed....That's why I chose to stop it.

3 hours ago, Evey said:

Chances are good that you have seen melatonin in health food stores or in an advertisement or article. No other hormone is available in the United States without a prescription. Because melatonin is contained naturally in some foods, the U.S. Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 allows it to be sold as a dietary supplement (e.g., vitamins and minerals). These do not need to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or controlled in the same way as drugs.

Because it is not categorized as a drug, synthetic melatonin is made in factories that are not regulated by the FDA. Listed doses may not be controlled or accurate, meaning the amount of melatonin in a pill you take may not be the amount listed on the package. Most commercial products are offered at dosages that cause melatonin levels in the blood to rise to much higher levels than are naturally produced in the body. Taking a typical dose (1 to 3 mg) may elevate your blood melatonin levels to 1 to 20 times normal. 

For melatonin to be helpful, the correct dosage, method and time of day it is taken must be appropriate to the sleep problem. Taking it at the "wrong" time of day may reset your biological clock in an undesirable direction. How much to take, when to take it, and melatonin's effectiveness, if any, for particular sleep disorders is only beginning to be understood.

While there are real concerns about the widespread use of melatonin sold as a consumer product, there have not been any reported cases of proven toxicity or overdose. If you are concerned about the correct melatonin dosage for you, talk to your health care professional. 

40 minutes ago, notloki said:

Chances are good that you have seen melatonin in health food stores or in an advertisement or article. No other hormone is available in the United States without a prescription. Because melatonin is contained naturally in some foods, the U.S. Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 allows it to be sold as a dietary supplement (e.g., vitamins and minerals). These do not need to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or controlled in the same way as drugs.

Because it is not categorized as a drug, synthetic melatonin is made in factories that are not regulated by the FDA. Listed doses may not be controlled or accurate, meaning the amount of melatonin in a pill you take may not be the amount listed on the package. Most commercial products are offered at dosages that cause melatonin levels in the blood to rise to much higher levels than are naturally produced in the body. Taking a typical dose (1 to 3 mg) may elevate your blood melatonin levels to 1 to 20 times normal. 

For melatonin to be helpful, the correct dosage, method and time of day it is taken must be appropriate to the sleep problem. Taking it at the "wrong" time of day may reset your biological clock in an undesirable direction. How much to take, when to take it, and melatonin's effectiveness, if any, for particular sleep disorders is only beginning to be understood.

While there are real concerns about the widespread use of melatonin sold as a consumer product, there have not been any reported cases of proven toxicity or overdose. If you are concerned about the correct melatonin dosage for you, talk to your health care professional. 

Thank you but looking for personal stories.

Made me very irritable. Spotty at knocking me out.

depressed on top of irritability if i took it for more than a few days.

if it was purely prn and worked all the time, fine. but it doesn’t so practically useless.
Trazodone works much better for me.

I got really depressed (three separate times because I forgot the reason for stopping the first two times--I'm a genius like that).  But it definitely was contributory if not causal, because it did happen multiple times at multiple points in my life. 

It also didn't do anything to help me fall asleep.

Gave my husband migraines.  To be fair, everything gives him migraines.

Probably not worth that much but anyway...

I was given it a very long time ago for delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) misdiagnosis.

It didn't really help me sleep as far as I can recall.
It did make me extremely tired at around 9 PM. Went to sleep at 12 AM. Woke up fully energized at 3 AM.

Kind of a weird experience.

Just a disclaimer: At that time I was very anxious, depressed and yet-to-be-diagnosed/medicated for OCD.

The effects were gone the moment I stopped taking it so I guess there's no harm in trying.

No noticeable side effects here [though ask me again when I come off it in a little while when I start Olanzapine!].

It's solely a prescription med here though. I've been prescribed 2 mg of the extended release version for about a year and a half. 

I took melatonin after switching from non-generic to generic ambien which hardly works for me. Melatonin worked well but I woke up depressed and anxious. Uh uh.