CrazyBoards.org

i was just wondering if anyone knew of any research on the numbers of people who suicide with BPD?

i know part of our criteria is repeated attempts, thoughts, self harm etc. just wondering if many of us actually go through with it.

(yes im a little freaked out at the moment that i am seriously losing my grip on reality and pushing closer to my own end)

I posted this in another thread, I'll repost it here:

From: "Borderline Personality Disorder: The Latest Assessment and Treatment Strategies":

FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH COMPLETED SUICIDES IN PEOPLE WITH BPD:

* Mean age of those completing suicide is 32

* Mean time for suicide is four years after hopitalisation

* Those who completed suicide successfully generally:

- Attempted suicide in the past

- Were more highly educated than survivors

- Had fewer psychotic symptoms than survivors

- Reported fewer problems with their mothers than survivors

- Suffer fewer separations and losses before the age of five

* No difference exists between people who commit suicide and survivors in terms of age, sex, marital status, conflict with fathers, and substance abuse

Factors associated with completed suicides indicate that those with less severe BPD symptomotology and traumatic history have higher suicide rates. Those who completed suicide were more functional in reality testing, more able to form relationships, and more hopeful about the future (as a result of more education). This higher level of functioning mat make the emotional struggles related to BPD seem intolerable. Lower functioning people with BPD, that experienced more trauma and difficulty earlier in life, may have adapted and thus have a higher level of tolerance

PREDICTORS OF A POSITIVE PROGNOSIS INCLUDE:

* Shorter hospitalizations

* Presence of distractability

* Presence of self-destructive acts during hospitalizations (not self-destructive acts prior to hospitalizations)

* Absence of:  affective instability, parental divorce, feelings of entitlement, feelings of boredom

PREDICTORS OF A NEGATIVE PROGNOSIS INCLUDE:

* Substance abuse

* Prominent anti-social traits

* Dysphoria (mild chronic depression)

Iona Viona- the statistics I read figure the suicide rate to be about 10%.

Which SOUNDS really high- and is really high.

But that still means that for every one person that suicides, there are NINE who don't. 

There is a lot of hope there, and a lot of hope for you.

Thought about it 10 billion times, threatened it a buttload, got close once, figured out it's just not an option = priceless.  I have to keep thinking about what my uncle's suicide put my mother through to come back to grips with my life.  She's my hero and I just can't put her through my death...it just wouldn't be fair....

It's not the "because I learned to love myself" answer that it should be, but any reason is a good reason at any rate..... ;)

another thing that i've yet to find in the lit (probably because how could a person know this) is how many of these suicides were successful suicide attempts, and how many were "parasuicidal behavior" (cutting, etc.) that um, went to far?

the stat of the 10% rate (and also the 20% of inpatients are BPD stat) are scary... but like becca said, 9 out of 10 do not kill themselves. 

at one point, i realized that i didn't actually want to die, that my behaviors were parasuicidal... and i used that, the fact that i didn't want to die, as a motivation to get treatment.  i tried to "make lemonade out of lemons" so to speak. 

and that fear for my life did help me stay in treatment when i really really really REALLY wanted to quit. 

it's scary as shit.  but, it is just a statistic.  you are not a statistic, you are a person.  if it motivates you to get help, then use it as a motivation.  if all it does is scare you, than try to put it out of your mind and focus on other things.  focus on the you that isn't a diagnosis, the you that isn't a statistic... and work on helping that you.

penny

Iona,

The numbers are significant and scary. But I don't think that you should be ruminating on them.  The exact percentage is utlimately unimportant to you as an individual, a real person.

Rather, you should take them with the knowledge that you have a real illness, that is serious, and us that as motivation to

1. Take your meds consistently

2. See you Pdoc and therapist regularly, and with honesty and openess

3. Focusing on keeping yourself safe

4. Work towards being well in as positive a manner as you can muster

Best,

A.M.

i guess i just scare myself sometimes because i constantly threaten it, and think about it, and do all these nasty things to myself im scared like penny said that one day i might "accidently" go to far.

its like the illness almost takes away my control over it sometimes, or i am scared that it will take away my control. cause i really do feel that when my symptoms kick in i lose control over logic and reason, even though i am a collage graduate!

i get really what i call "pissy" but i guess the more appropriate thing to say is that sometimes when my symptoms are at their worst this is when i start thinkin suicide and i am scared then when the symptoms ease a little one day i wont be around to enjoy it anymore.

i guess i really ought to come up with some sort of support plan for when i do feel like acting on my suicide plan so i stay one of the 9 out of 10.

• 2 weeks later...

FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH COMPLETED SUICIDES IN PEOPLE WITH BPD:

* Mean age of those completing suicide is 32

* Mean time for suicide is four years after hopitalisation

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like I will be checking out in four years.

• 5 months later...

Archived