CrazyBoards.org

Zyprexa's anti-depressant effects w/o SSRI

Hey-

Wondering if there might be some personal or anecdotal evidence out there that Zyprexa (olanzapine) might achieve an anti-depressant response without pairing it with an SSRI like fluoxetine (i.e. Symbyax, "OFC"). My doctor is trying to avoid going back on Seroquel XR and has given me the dosing wiggle room of 2.5-7.5 mg to test drive to see if we might be able to have some success.

FWIW, I can't tolerate SSRI's, and am in somewhat of a mixed depressive state with high anxiety.

I take Zyprexa personally when I'm in a pinch from time to time to get out of major depressive episodes, but I'm on an SSRI, so I don't think that counts.

Theoretically, it should provide antidepressant benefits on its own due to 5-HT2A/2C antagonism that are stronger than that of the D2 antagonism (so I think low doses would be more antidepressant, then higher doses would begin to recruit the D2 antagonism to a significant degree).

I hope you get the relief that you need.

• 1 month later...