CrazyBoards.org

Glass Half Full...

Here is an article from the Washington Post that states..

"Antidepressants fail to cure the symptoms of major depression in half of all patients with the disease even if they receive the best possible care, according to a definitive government study released yesterday."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...50.html?sub=new

Heya,

Well, yah.

B/c.

Most of my patients anyway have to try at least two meds before anything happens.

Plus, BPers try at least three meds on average before someone thinks to give them some kind of stabilizer.

And, people with trauma generally need therapy.

(Those last two points are backed up by some stuff I read but it's 0017 so whatever.)

And, we have a long ways to go in ADs anyway, hey, a few years ago there were only TCAs and MAOIs (which *still* work BTW and are *rarely* tried).

**ALWAYS** room to grow.  Our kids will do better, theirs will do better.  By then all this Lamictal nonsense will be the domain of the medical historians.

It's okay.

--ncc--

My pdoc told me this, and pdocs can be wrong, but he said that depression can have different causes in the brain. I think this is validated by the fact that we have meds that treat different neurotransmitters.

If there are different causes in the brain, it would only go to show that people would need to try different meds and combos to get the right ones. No one can magically look inside our heads and come up with solutions right away. We are misdiagnosed for years, given meds that suck, and while science has come a long way, we still lack good testing for our disorders.

What caused the depression is a consideration. Is it biologically based, like a genetic thing? Did some trauma happen? What in the brain changed? What is damaged? Depression is brain damage, according to my pdoc. He says that I have organic brain damage and the meds work to help correct it.

Look at the list of meds I've been on. I've worked with my pdocs for 20 years (I'm 27 and started taking meds at 18) to work on the BP1. At first it was Serzone, then Paxil, now Lexapro. I think they're getting better and better.

Archived