Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

My pdoc recently swapped out alprazolam (Xanax) 1 mg 3x/day, which wasn't doing anything (neither anxiolysis nor sedation), for clonazepam (Klonopin) 1 mg 2x/day with an extra one as needed (up to 3 mg/day), which is sedating the crap out of me. It's helping the panic and anxiety! But it's also keeping me from functioning daily like I want to.

I'm already on dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine) 60 mg/day and armodafinil (Nuvigil) 200 mg, which I would think would offset the sedation, but it absolutely is not at all.

Is there a solution to this situation? Back off on the dosage? Increase one of the stimulants? (Probably can't increase the dextroamphetamine because my doc won't go past the max dose...) Ride it out until I develop tolerance to the sedation?

Edited by mikl_pls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you bump your bupropion to 450mg? Switch to alplenzin (sp?) if that is smoother or less seizures inducing?
Or seizure risk and possibly hypomania?

up the nuvigil?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, argh said:

Can you bump your bupropion to 450mg? Switch to alplenzin (sp?) if that is smoother or less seizures inducing?
Or seizure risk and possibly hypomania?

up the nuvigil?

Could bump the bupropion to 450 mg, but in the past, that has given me extreme nausea, but I have gotten over it before. Can't switch to Aplenzin because insurance won't cover it. I could probably get a PA for it, but I still doubt they'd cover it (bastards...).

Definitely could increase the Nuvigil to 250 mg, but I don't know just how much wakefulness promotion that extra 50 mg would give. It's worth a try though.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is vraylar similar to rexulti were it is supposedly more stimulating at higher dose? Wondering if more aap action could be both more stimulating while quashing the anxiety and panic? Might help you get away with less benzo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, argh said:

Is vraylar similar to rexulti were it is supposedly more stimulating at higher dose? Wondering if more aap action could be both more stimulating while quashing the anxiety and panic? Might help you get away with less benzo.

I think you have a good idea there. I will ask my pdoc about it, because I'm having some mixed mania/depression. I tried to go up to 6 mg Vraylar a few months ago, but she didn't seem to want to go that high quite yet. She must have a reason for it. I may schedule an emergency appointment with her because of something that happened tonight and ask her about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long have you been on clonazepam ? It settled down and is very nonsedating for me but it took  month or so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mikl_pls, Agreed with @notloki......I've been taking clonazepam for awhile, and the sedating effect wore off fairly quickly, but the anxiolytic effect hasn't worn off at all for me.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, notloki said:

How long have you been on clonazepam ? It settled down and is very nonsedating for me but it took  month or so. 

I've only been on it for a few weeks or so. That is somewhat comforting to know the sedation will go away... lol.

2 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

@mikl_pls, Agreed with @notloki......I've been taking clonazepam for awhile, and the sedating effect wore off fairly quickly, but the anxiolytic effect hasn't worn off at all for me.

 

1 hour ago, notloki said:

I'm years on it and still a good anxiolytic. 

Glad to hear that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sedation is getting worse, and to compound that, my pdoc prescribed me mirtazapine (Remeron) 45 mg with duloxetine (Cymbalta) 60 mg to get me out of a monumental depressive episode. I slept 16 hours yesterday...

There is a new wakefulness promoting agent called Sunosi that I'm considering asking about (which, due to its mechanism of action, may replace Wellbutrin). It will probably require a PA and will probably not be covered by my insurance though, knowing how things go. Wakix is also another option, and its mechanism of action is novel compared to other wakefulness promoting agents.

I might ask my doc to increase the Nuvigil to 400 mg or 500 mg if possible. I doubt 50 extra milligrams will do much of anything.

Also, I'm going to go back to Xanax 1 mg tid. The Klonopin is just too much for me to handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikl_pls said:

The sedation is getting worse, and to compound that, my pdoc prescribed me mirtazapine (Remeron) 45 mg with duloxetine (Cymbalta) 60 mg to get me out of a monumental depressive episode. I slept 16 hours yesterday...

There is a new wakefulness promoting agent called Sunosi that I'm considering asking about (which, due to its mechanism of action, may replace Wellbutrin). It will probably require a PA and will probably not be covered by my insurance though, knowing how things go. Wakix is also another option, and its mechanism of action is novel compared to other wakefulness promoting agents.

I might ask my doc to increase the Nuvigil to 400 mg or 500 mg if possible. I doubt 50 extra milligrams will do much of anything.

Also, I'm going to go back to Xanax 1 mg tid. The Klonopin is just too much for me to handle.

Almost like California rocket fuel, but with more NRI? Temporarily? Or with hopes it can gradually get you off the benzos as daily meds?

mirtazapine is good for anxiety...that’s for sure but imo, that is only because you’re basically in a coma and when you’re awake its a half coma.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, argh said:

Almost like California rocket fuel, but with more NRI? Temporarily? Or with hopes it can gradually get you off the benzos as daily meds?

mirtazapine is good for anxiety...that’s for sure but imo, that is only because you’re basically in a coma and when you’re awake its a half coma.

Although some tend to feel less coma-tized by Remeron at the higher end of the dosing range 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Although some tend to feel less coma-tized by Remeron at the higher end of the dosing range 

That's true I suppose. Was my experience too. It was still comatose however. Though I don't do well with sedating meds...so perhaps more pronounced in my case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, argh said:

Almost like California rocket fuel, but with more NRI? Temporarily? Or with hopes it can gradually get you off the benzos as daily meds?

mirtazapine is good for anxiety...that’s for sure but imo, that is only because you’re basically in a coma and when you’re awake its a half coma.

Yeah, that was the goal, sorta like California rocket fuel. It's hopefully temporary, as the mirtazapine is bound to cause weight gain. I eventually plan on getting off benzos as daily meds too. But in the meantime, I think I'm going to text my pdoc and ask if she can call in something a little less potent—something like Valium, Tranxene, or Librium—that I could take daily for anxiety/panic prophylaxis.

Yep! You can't be anxious if you're in a coma! lol It's actually not as sedating as I thought it would be. It is after all the 45 mg dose, which is actually lightly stimulating for me I've noticed, even though I've only been on it for two days.

16 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Although some tend to feel less coma-tized by Remeron at the higher end of the dosing range 

This.

I'm curious about supratherapeutic doses like 60-90 mg of mirtazapine that I've seen people on before...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mikl_pls said:

Yeah, that was the goal, sorta like California rocket fuel. It's hopefully temporary, as the mirtazapine is bound to cause weight gain. I eventually plan on getting off benzos as daily meds too. But in the meantime, I think I'm going to text my pdoc and ask if she can call in something a little less potent—something like Valium, Tranxene, or Librium—that I could take daily for anxiety/panic prophylaxis.

Yep! You can't be anxious if you're in a coma! lol It's actually not as sedating as I thought it would be. It is after all the 45 mg dose, which is actually lightly stimulating for me I've noticed, even though I've only been on it for two days.

This.

I'm curious about supratherapeutic doses like 60-90 mg of mirtazapine that I've seen people on before...

Antecdotally, the feel from most pdocs I encountered while on remeron was that the adverse effects of supertherapeutic dosing often outweigh the benefis, and while it is interesting I can’t imagine that jumping to 60 would really lead to that much more decrease in sedation. 

4 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

Yeah, that was the goal, sorta like California rocket fuel. It's hopefully temporary, as the mirtazapine is bound to cause weight gain. I eventually plan on getting off benzos as daily meds too. But in the meantime, I think I'm going to text my pdoc and ask if she can call in something a little less potent—something like Valium, Tranxene, or Librium—that I could take daily for anxiety/panic prophylaxis.

Yep! You can't be anxious if you're in a coma! lol It's actually not as sedating as I thought it would be. It is after all the 45 mg dose, which is actually lightly stimulating for me I've noticed, even though I've only been on it for two days.

This.

I'm curious about supratherapeutic doses like 60-90 mg of mirtazapine that I've seen people on before...

Also - I was literally typing out “what about retrying diazepam” when u answered 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's fair. 45 mg felt like a completely different drug. It was the best dose tbh, maybe even some light stimulation, but I think I was too far into a mixed episodes to care. That and nightly severe heartburn.

pdoc didn't think I was bipolar back then but two ADs and zero mood stabilizers was no bueno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I normally don't do this kind of thing, but I was so sedated yesterday and today (I actually needed to leave the house today and function, and play in a concert) that I took Nuvigil 1000 mg and Dexedrine 120 mg today and was still profoundly sedated. Something is very wrong here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

I normally don't do this kind of thing, but I was so sedated yesterday and today (I actually needed to leave the house today and function, and play in a concert) that I took Nuvigil 1000 mg and Dexedrine 120 mg today and was still profoundly sedated. Something is very wrong here...

Doesn't Klonopin have a stupidity long half life?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, argh said:

Doesn't Klonopin have a stupidity long half life?

Not as long as Valium or Librium, but it does have a rather long half-life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

I normally don't do this kind of thing, but I was so sedated yesterday and today (I actually needed to leave the house today and function, and play in a concert) that I took Nuvigil 1000 mg and Dexedrine 120 mg today and was still profoundly sedated. Something is very wrong here...

Probably need to get in touch with the pdoc again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By l'appel du vide
      Hi everyone So here's a little background: I have been taking Klonopin daily for 4+ years now. The dosage at first was 1mg a day,  increased to 2mg a day, then 3mg a day, back down to 2mg. I was on 2mg a day for the majority of the time using Klonopin. At the beginning of 2018, I discussed with my psych that I want to VERY slowly taper off Klonopin completely, since I feel my anxiety and panic are not as bad as they were, especially with being on Prozac. He agreed, so we tapered very slowly. I would make 25% to 33% reductions every visit. So far I have made it down to 0.75mg a day. That's huge for me! My anxiety is still close to nonexistent, but I do worry about one thing. When I do eventually get off Klonopin completely, will my anxiety and panic come back even though I have been having mild symptoms from tapering that do, eventually go away? Looking for answers from people who have gotten off benzo daily use and successfully remained (mostly) anxiety-free. Thank you very much.
    • By mmaryland
      So I am currently following the Ashton manual taper schedule for getting off 4mg alprazolam a day and am between stage 5 and 6. I am on 1.5mg Xanax a day and 40mg Valium a day. Anyone else thing this is a high dosage of diazepam? Despite taking 40mg at once, I still don't feel much of any effects, no sedation or memory impairment, no memory loss or blackouts, no ataxia and no 'feeling high'. Is this abnormal for being on such a high dose of diazepam? The pharmacist literally was so hesitant to fill my monthly prescription for diazepam because it was for #120 tablets and said they've never seen someone prescribed such high dosage of diazepam. Pharmacist wanted to call my doctor first, but ended up filling it anyway after I showed her the Ashton taper schedule I was following. All the pharmacist asked was for me not to take it all at once, but my doctor said it was fine to take all 40mg at bedtime so that's what I do. Anyone else have experience using Valium to help taper off Xanax or other short acting benzodiazepines? It has been going surprisingly smooth so far, and I'm thankful I have a psychiatrist who is willing to allow me to take it at my own pace, giving me an extra week at the same dosage before decreasing the alprazolam. I am excited to get off Xanax but at the same time sad because of how much it helped. But I guess it's for the better because I wasn't using it as prescribed anyway. Would love to hear from anyone who has tapered off xanax, using a taper schedule or not.
    • By mmaryland
      Hi everyone,
      I've been wondering about people's experience who have been on both the immediate release and extended release version of Seroquel. I have only tried the IR, and it knocked me out at doses from 25mg-100mg and when i woke up it felt so impossible to get out of bed and get ready for the day, then the rest of the day was alright as long as I took my ADHD medication. My current problems are under control, for the most part, I am just looking for other's who have had different experiences with the IR vs the XR version of Seroquel so that I can have insight if I need to consider treatment with quetiapine in the future. 
      I'm mostly interested in the effectiveness to squash mania, the difference in sedation between the 2 different formulations and if anyone uses Seroquel on a PRN basis, for example only taking Seroquel when you are feeling manic and cannot sleep or feel mania coming on, please reply and let me know how this works and how your doctor feels about this treatment. If you do use it as PRN, do you use the XR or instant release formulation? I also am interested in anyone who takes ADHD stimulants with Seroquel and feels that the Seroquel makes their medication for ADHD less effective? I feel that my Rexulti may be making my Dexedrine and Zenzedi somewhat less effective and am considering getting off Rexulti if necessary and my pdoc agrees. Thanks for your replies!!
×
×
  • Create New...