CrazyBoards.org

I did bloodwork Saturday as I have pdoc Wednesday to go onto Zyprexa (rather than Clozapine) - he wanted to be CERTAIN I needed to go off of loxapine.  I waited as long as I could to get the Haldol increased prolactin down, so like 2.5 weeks, though I've been off of Haldol for a monthish.  

Previously, my prolactin was high on loxapine.  

I've been lactating since at least early September, pretty sure longer, as I did a bit at the start of May but then didn't check.  

I dropped from 60mg of loxapine to 50mg due to a tremor in my hand, which improved.  It's come back when I hold stuff, but I suppose it's possible it's not med related.  It's sporadic and not at all predictable.  VERY mild.

Anyways, I looked up my bloodwork results yesterday, and...

Everything is normal.  My prolactin is normal.  

I am still lactating.  

WTAF?  Will it take longer for the lactation to stop?  Does anyone know?

Am I going to have to go off of loxapine or not?  It's great for me from a psych perspective. 

UGH 

That's troubling. I lactated on risperdal and invega, but when I went off the meds the lactation stopped. I hope your doctor will have some answers.

Yeah unless it's taken a while for my prolactin levels to get here?  Loxapine does elevate it but it's solidly normal now.

I hate it when things don't make sense medically-speaking.  Science is supposed to know these things.  though maybe science and pdocs know and I don't.

how are you doing stability-wise right now?  can you wait it out a titch or is it not bearable?

i don't have anything helpful to say, but i wanted to let you know i'm thinking of you. lactation sucks shit, man. it's strange that yours has been sticking around for so long. that said, i believe i remember reading in an older thread that lactation can take several months to go away after discontinuing the medication to blame. i have six months in my head, but i'm not certain. i do remember being REALLY SCARED that i was going to lactate forever.

1 hour ago, Arj72 said:

I'm thinking of Loxapine myself.  How is it for your agitation/anxiety?

It's AMAZING for my agitation.  Like total miracle.  Anxiety I still experience but take gabapentin for and it's better than on AAPs for me, plus I'm out of a toxic work environment now.  

59 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

I hate it when things don't make sense medically-speaking.  Science is supposed to know these things.  though maybe science and pdocs know and I don't.

how are you doing stability-wise right now?  can you wait it out a titch or is it not bearable?

Stability wise I'm a lot better.  Or getting there.  I've had after shocks where I get hysterical but it's better every day and I'd say I'm like 90% normal at this stage.  I'd be at 100% but the puppy and a neighbour telling us he was crying all day and bothering her caused a bit of a meltdown and I was a huge mess.  (He's better now, apparently, to us and our dog walker too).  Plus I'm sleep deprived from taking the puppy out at all hours.  

42 minutes ago, echolocation said:

i don't have anything helpful to say, but i wanted to let you know i'm thinking of you. lactation sucks shit, man. it's strange that yours has been sticking around for so long. that said, i believe i remember reading in an older thread that lactation can take several months to go away after discontinuing the medication to blame. i have six months in my head, but i'm not certain. i do remember being REALLY SCARED that i was going to lactate forever.

I hope it's just time.  Thanks, that made me feel better.  I really appreciate it!  Very helpful so don't think it wasn't.

Hey!  So I saw pdoc Wednesday...

I can stay on loxapine!  Happy dance!  

He doesn't like that I'm still lactating, but says we should give it some time to see if it stops.

He also said loxapine works so well for me that it's a very high bar to go off of it.  And I can add 10mg here and there as a PRN if I need it for psychosis or any manic symptoms.