CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Arj72

Anyone else have sh*t hypomania?

My hypo episodes are straight shit.  Anxious, restless, tense, agitated.  Everything but "euphoric".  Then I conveniently get to feel the depression full bore.

This is horse shit!  Anyone else get terrible hypomanias?

Also, what's worked best for them for you?

yes. if I get them at all, they are mixed episodes, with all the negative stuff. Usually a benzo helps me, but mine tend to move in and out quickly like a thunderstorm.

Yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!  I've had a few manias where I felt high but generally I'm like what you describe.  I do rapid cycle and there I go high but a good 30-120 minutes before a huge crash isn't exactly good respite.

Yes fucking yes.

Have upped my mood stabilizer and lowered the AD. Otherwise I just have to wait it out.

I have terrible hypomania (especially during the summer) which manifests as a continuous baseline of seething anger, punctuated with outbursts of boiling rage. The only drugs that seem to mitigate it are lithium plus Xanax for the volatile outbursts. Lamictal was useless for me, and Depakote was one of the worst drugs I've ever taken (and I've taken a LOT).

• Like 1

I hate hypomania; for me it’s always just a waiting period of indeterminate length, as a mixed state is about to show up. 

Sometimes I've tried either changing mood stabilizers as it happens or upping the dose of the one I’m on, but usually it takes an antipsychotic, and often as not those don’t work, either. The best thing I can do is take whatever sleep med it takes to make sure I sleep a halfway normal amount, because if I stop sleeping, everything goes to hell very fast.

Been there done that too. I mean, why can't I always feel good while doing stupid things?

Kidding aside, I second the motion that sleep is paramount.  Xanax was also my bionic crutch but they took it away (and I wasn't even taking very much/ very often) so now I gotta see what will be an effective replacement. 

Edited by Tazzmaniac

On 12/3/2019 at 6:20 PM, Arj72 said:

My hypo episodes are straight shit.  Anxious, restless, tense, agitated.  Everything but "euphoric".  Then I conveniently get to feel the depression full bore.

This is horse shit!  Anyone else get terrible hypomanias?

Also, what's worked best for them for you?

I've had all the hypomanias, feels like - including really unpleasant, agitated hypomania. Lamotrigine took care of a lot of that for me.

On 12/6/2019 at 7:26 PM, Gearhead said:

I hate hypomania; for me it’s always just a waiting period of indeterminate length, as a mixed state is about to show up. 

Sometimes I've tried either changing mood stabilizers as it happens or upping the dose of the one I’m on, but usually it takes an antipsychotic, and often as not those don’t work, either. The best thing I can do is take whatever sleep med it takes to make sure I sleep a halfway normal amount, because if I stop sleeping, everything goes to hell very fast.

This is pretty much my experience.  Although my hypomanic phase is pleasant, I never seem to be able to stop it there.

After a 3-month episode of biblical proportions this year, the game plan now is to be much more (as in "even more") aggressive in responding with increased medication when I first become symptomatic.   

The last time I was hypo it was pretty miserable. Just extreme irritability, anger, impatience etc. that was when I went off my meds.

8 hours ago, mcjimjam said:

The last time I was hypo it was pretty miserable. Just extreme irritability, anger, impatience etc. that was when I went off my meds.

Did you go off your meds because you thought they were making you ill/giving you bad side effects, or did going off your meds cause the episode? Chicken or egg?

14 hours ago, Gearhead said:

Did you go off your meds because you thought they were making you ill/giving you bad side effects, or did going off your meds cause the episode? Chicken or egg?

I can’t remember why I went off exactly. I think going off them triggered the episode.