CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Melancholya

Anyone else got a weird phobia?

I have this really strange phobia. I don't know if it has a name. But I get freaked out by the insides of things where you can see mechanical parts or wiring or pipes etc. I'll give some examples.

In our bathroom there is a light in the ceiling surrounded by some heat lamps. They're those big lamp kinda light bulbs and the covering around them doesn't go around them tightly. So when I'm in the shower and I look up at them, there is a gap around each lamp and I can see into the ceiling and see some wires and stuff. I get almost a panic looking at it. Then I have to keep my eyes away from the ceiling and I feel freaked out for the rest of my shower. It doesn't always happen but if I do look up there at it I then have anxiety bother me until I leave the bathroom.

Another example is that our bathtub is a spa-bath and there's this plank of wood at one end that you lift up to get to the controls of the spa. It falls in sometimes and shows some of the interior of the walls and the insulation, plus part of the spa controls. I always have to get my husband to put it back in place because I can't handle looking in there.

I can't look at the inside of the top of the toilet. I hate that fucking ball thing that indicates how high the water level is. 

I can't look inside our ceiling. Our air venting system is up there and I am super freaked out by the thought of looking at it. I never want to see it. Even sometimes when I can hear it whirring overhead, it makes me think of the machinery above me and I get anxious.

Interestingly, I am okay looking under the hood of a car. So I don't think it's always mechanical things. Maybe it's to do with things that are normally concealed being exposed? But I don't have any particular fear of that with human bodies or whatever. Maybe it's just to do with dark places? But actually in any spa bath I feel anxious because of the sound of the motor and pump and jets going. And the big drain in the middle freaks me out so much I stick to the sides and can't even rest my feet down there.

When the drain in our shower needs cleaning my husband has to do it because I can't handle lifting it up and seeing the pipe below.

Anyway, isn't that strange? Anyone else have a strange-to-explain phobia?

Edited by Melancholya

I have a weird phobia, too. I'm afraid of wildlife photography. Not actual animals but photos of animals. I have, with exposure, gotten to where I can handle a kids nonfiction picture book with photos, but I can't use Google images for anything animal related, that's just a total panic attack.

It’s not a weird phobia but how I got it is. I was never afraid of heights, ever... my mother was deathly afraid of them though. Then almost directly after she died I was suddenly very much afraid of heights. I can’t stand being up high now. 

3 hours ago, Juniper29 said:

I have a weird phobia, too. I'm afraid of wildlife photography. Not actual animals but photos of animals. I have, with exposure, gotten to where I can handle a kids nonfiction picture book with photos, but I can't use Google images for anything animal related, that's just a total panic attack.

Wow that's really interesting! Is it only wild animals? What about photos of pets?

2 hours ago, saintalto said:

It’s not a weird phobia but how I got it is. I was never afraid of heights, ever... my mother was deathly afraid of them though. Then almost directly after she died I was suddenly very much afraid of heights. I can’t stand being up high now. 

That is really interesting. I'm afraid of heights too, but I always have been. 

8 hours ago, Melancholya said:

the big drain in the middle freaks me out so much I stick to the sides and can't even rest my feet down there

I thought I was the only one!

Every time before I get into a pool I look from the outside to find where the drains are... and also where the jets are, so I don't accidentally step on them or go near them.

This is oddly specific but it seems to have something to do with water pipes.

Jacuzzis freak me out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HydroCat said:

I thought I was the only one!

Every time before I get into a pool I look from the outside to find where the drains are... and also where the jets are, so I don't accidentally step on them or go near them.

This is oddly specific but it seems to have something to do with water pipes.

Jacuzzis freak me out.

Yeah it took me a long time to be OK about jets! I still get the heebie jeebies sometimes. I've not yet taken a bath in our spa bath tub (and we've lived in our house for a year and a half) because I don't like the jets. And the sound of it all going. In fact, the first thing I'm gonna get when we renovate our bathroom is a fricken NORMAL BATH. 

Edited by Melancholya

10 hours ago, Melancholya said:

Wow that's really interesting! Is it only wild animals? What about photos of pets?

Pets are fine, it's just wild animals.

Google Trypophobia images...actually, maybe, don't. I didn't have a phobic reaction to this sort of thing... until... I read an article about other people who have this phobia...then when I looked at the photos I totally freaked out!! I get a very visceral reaction...

Edited by Blahblah

I don’t know if this is considered a phobia, but I don’t like seeing people walk barefoot if they’re stepping on anything other than smooth surfaces, I instantly imagine what it would feel like stepping on something sharp and uncomfortable and I get a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. 

And I googled tryptophobia, and I LOVE images like that but they need to be all perfectly spaced. 

Edited by Rabbit37

I don't know if this counts, but I cannot deal with food delivery to my house. Cannot answer the door, cannot pay the delivery guy, totally freaked out about tipping the delivery guy. It drives my daughter crazy, I know, but I just can't....deal...with food delivery. 

Mail, packages, all fine. Just food delivery. I panic and hide. 

Yes...Pharmacophobia..i'm terrified of antipsychotic medication...Truely terrified..Its effecting my overall mental health recovery as i'm perscribed them i want to get better yet i just cannot find a way to take them..I've had very pep talk to myself you can imagine...I havent found anyone who also suffers with it  neither..Which would help as i could get some real life tips on over coming it...Another weird one  is little holes..I remember when the picture of a lotus flower was doing the rounds on social media photo shopped to peoples skins like some horrible disease..The picture of it made me absolute shudder...like a really extreme disgust response..The Phobia is called "Trypophobia" ..Its horrible...

When I was a very young kid (2-4 years old), the house we lived in had the washer and dryer in the basement (which flooded often). Oftentimes my mom would put a load of laundry in the washer at bedtime. Well, sometimes the washer would get off balance and start thrashing around. That used to terrify the ever living shit out of me. I would scream and cry hysterically and would be inconsolable for half an hour. That lasted until the next house we lived in where the washer and dryer were in the actual laundry room which was closer to my bedroom. It would happen, and I would start screaming bloody murder. I think I outgrew that "phobia" by the time I was 6 or 7 years old.

Another phobia I had (and still to this day as a 32 year old grown assed man) is bathroom fans. I don't know why, but they freak me the fuck out. They're loud, I don't like them, I don't know where the air is going they're sucking out of the bathroom... OR:EGJEO:IRGJ:EOIGRJIO:WEJOGP:IJWEGOI:JWE:OIGJW:OIEGJO:EOIJG"PO NO! JUST NO! Even worse are the bathroom heaters! They're so fucking loud! They're going to kill me I just know it!

There are more but I can't think of them, and it's probably best that I not do so...

On 4/4/2020 at 4:34 AM, mikl_pls said:

Well, sometimes the washer would get off balance and start thrashing around. That used to terrify the ever living shit out of me.

This is an absolutely valid fear. I still get freaked out when a washing machine moves LOL. Not to the extent of the distress you felt as a kid. I think I have a weird phobia of inanimate objects moving. 

On 4/8/2020 at 6:01 PM, Melancholya said:

This is an absolutely valid fear. I still get freaked out when a washing machine moves LOL. Not to the extent of the distress you felt as a kid. I think I have a weird phobia of inanimate objects moving. 

I definitely have a thing about watching inanimate objects moving too. Like, watching the show "How It's Made" is kind of like a giant panic attack for me that at the same time thrills me... I love and hate watching that show... lol

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2020 at 11:51 AM, mikl_pls said:

I definitely have a thing about watching inanimate objects moving too. Like, watching the show "How It's Made" is kind of like a giant panic attack for me that at the same time thrills me... I love and hate watching that show... lol

I don't like seeing the inside of machinery operating!!