CrazyBoards.org
sugarsugar

Two deaths in two weeks

As I posted, my brother died less than 2 weeks ago. I held it together during that whole ICU and disconnecting care process. But yesterday my dog died. If you’re a dog lover you get it, if you’re anti pet this may seem off. But the combination of two deaths was just too much. My dog got increasingly sick over a week, and her last morning had clearly crossed the line. I never cried when my brother died but cried on the way to the vet and long after my dog was gone. I wasn’t close to my brother but liked/loved him and miss him. But my dog—I lived with her and she was totally bonded to me. And her loss makes the loss of my brother more real. Especially since I mainly saw my brother at holidays, and this is holiday season. 

I was going to work today but decided not to. I need time plus every time someone gives me that “sorry look” and says something consoling, I tear up, and I hate crying in public. Now I am actually grieving. And I hate that process. Losses are painful and I knew that. But two losses are really hard for me. Not the same, but still hard. 

• Like 1

I TOTALLY get it. It is two different heartaches, and pets are with us such a short time, but yet they’re daily affection, and it’s just so damn uncomplicated. It’s just pure love, without conflicting emotions. 

I’m so sorry for your loss. I’ve lost two senior dogs in a year, and the second one was sudden and unexpected. Wishing you strength. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry. That's a lot to deal with, one after the other, especially when a pet can be such a source of comfort and daily affection. I say cry all you need to cry. I hope this season passes gently.

I know how you feel, and it’s awful. When I was nine I lost my grandmother and my dog in a span of about ten days. It was clear to me that I missed the dog more, and I felt terribly guilty, but it wasn’t that I didn’t love my grandma, it was that our dog had been part of my day-to-day life since I was 18 months old. It was just too much.

My condolences. You have my sympathy.

• Like 1

It's so hard, it's a double blow, plus pets are a huge help with coping. So the very being you'd go to for comfort after losing your brother or after any other blow has now passed away. I'm so so sorry. I'll be thinking of you. Be really kind to yourself and gentle with yourself, this Christmas especially. We're here if you want to keep talking or share more about either loved one

I got another dog. My other dog needs a friend and it’s helping me, too. I still have grief of course. I googled my brother to find out something about his life since he never would talk about his work. I found a lot about him, I never knew any of it. It makes me sad to have to learn about him that way. He was never interested in most of my life so he didn’t know much about me so it went both ways but I feel a loss that he was like a stranger in a way. 

I hope the new dog brings you a lot of joy. When our dog Milo died, we had to get a new dog sooner than we meant to because our remaining dog was despondent.