CrazyBoards.org

Intrustive thoughts

I'm on Lamictal and Abilify for bipolar disorder, but I'm still having disturbing thoughts about getting injured or hurting other people.  I'm thinking these thoughts are compulsive in nature. 

Have any of you taken benzos to get rid of intrusive thoughts and did they work?

Well... behaviors are compulsive, while thoughts are obsessive. I'm no expert - especially in this area, but what you are describing sounds more like schizophrenia or psychosis, than obsessive thoughts. The diagnostic criteria for obsessive thoughts are:

1.  recurrent and persistent thoughts, impulses, or images that are experienced, at some time during the disturbance, as intrusive and inappropriate and that cause marked anxiety or distress

2. the thoughts, impulses, or images are not simply excessive worries about real-life problems

3. the person attempts to ignore or suppress such thoughts, impulses, or images, or to neutralize them with some other thought or action

4. the person recognizes that the obsessional thoughts, impulses, or images are a product of his or her own mind (not imposed from without as in thought insertion)

Benzos are generally used to treat anxiety/panic disorders. SSRIs are used to treat OCD (which you probably can't take if you're bipolar). I don't know what is used to treat mild schizophrenia or psychosis. On "ER" they always use Haldol. (Just a little reminder that not only am I not a doctor, I don't play on on TV, either). ;)

I have GAD, not OCD but we are both tormented with obsessive thoughts.

I agree with VE.  Effexor and low dose seroquel helped alot for me (but Effex also exabberated rapid cycling).  Remeron helped for awhile until it crapped out on me.  Remeron is a good one if you don't mind the weight gain.

Benzos are more of a take when needed for temporary relief, but not really a solution.

i've had pretty good luck augmenting Lexapro with a low dose of Gabitril.  Part of my issue with having obsessive thoughts seems to have been a slight temporal lobe/irritability issue, which the Gabitril has helped stabilize a bit (and there literally has been slim to no side effects from the Gabitril, except for a bit of dumbness on too high of a dose).  I'd rate the Gabitril a 7 on a 10 in effectiveness, but about a 9 on a 10 for lack of side effects.  Using other augmenting meds (other than the atypical anti-psychotics) is seemingl starting to be on the rise (especially anti-glutamate / pro-GABA meds, such as a few of the anticonvulsants, and then an NMDA antagonist such as Memantine for the anti-glutamate effect).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest southernbelle

It's true that benzos are not used to treat OCD, but they can definitely come in handy with the anxiety that usually accompanies OCD.

I find them helpful with my OCD because the benzos (I'm currently taking Klonopin) help me relax, and when I relax the obsessive thinking improves. Anything that relieves my level of stress seems to lessen my OCD.

And BTW, recurrent thoughts of hurting people are quite common in OCD--not to mention extremely disturbing to the ppl who have them!

Archived