CrazyBoards.org

My new gdoc recently recommended I consider a hormonal IUD. She says it would help with my PCOS-related irregular periods - and that lots of people with them end up with no period.

I can't say I'm opposed to no period. I also get pretty bad PMDD some months, so that would be helpful too I guess?

I don't need birth control. But... shrug.

Does anyone have one of these? The Planned Parenthood website listed like 4 different ones that last anywhere from 3-7 years. How do you choose?

Did it hurt getting it placed? I am really not excited about shoving something up my cervix. I have trouble with just a speculum. 😓

12 hours ago, Geek said:

I don't need birth control. But... shrug.

Does anyone have one of these? The Planned Parenthood website listed like 4 different ones that last anywhere from 3-7 years. How do you choose?

Did it hurt getting it placed? I am really not excited about shoving something up my cervix. I have trouble with just a speculum. 😓

There are 4 different brands of hormonal IUDs, and one brand of non-hormonal IUD....

Here's a pretty good article comparing all the brands:      https://www.bedsider.org/features/1277-mirena-liletta-kyleena-skyla-paragard-a-guide-to-figuring-out-which-iud-is-right-for-you?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj8blr9-25gIVJ4FaBR0c-ARyEAAYAiAAEgLb7_D_BwE

Many moons ago, after my daughter was born, I decided I couldn't handle more than 2 kids, so I got the copper (Paraguard) IUD placed, simply because it lasted the longest (10 years!!).........I had to pay out of pocket for it, but it was one of the best investments I ever made....LOL...It never failed.

As for placement, many gyn docs prefer to place IUDs during a period, due to the cervix being naturally more open then, although technically it can be placed at any time during your cycle.......When I got mine placed it was a bit uncomfortable, but not terrible.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I had an IUD placed in 2010, then it was removed when I was able to have my tubes tied in 2013 and I've since had a hysterectomy (2014). To me it hurt to have it placed, it was one very sharp pain when the gynecologist opened my cervix to insert the IUD. I was sore down there the rest of the day, but I've never had kids so that could be why it was more painful for me. 

When I had it placed in 2010 I think there were only 2 options, the Paraguard (no hormones copper IUD) and the Mirena (hormones). I think there are more options now.