CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  

how do you get over dumb things that you've said that circle around in your head because there's nowhere else for them to go?

I went out to lunch with a coworker and I happened to mention that my condo had increased in value by X%.  It wasn't random bragging--it fit into the context of what reasonable housing prices were in our area and how to find them.  She seemed surprised by the percentage and commented on it twice.

I came home and redid the math and it was Y%, which is less.  It's still a good hearty increase, but not to the extent of X%.

I'm feeling this urge to message her when I get in on Monday in order to straighten things out (it's like this urge to confess or something).  Chances are, she barely remembers.  Chances are that even if she remembers, she doesn't attach any meaning to it.  But my brain won't let it go.

that's just one example, but that's the clearest since it's the most recent.  open to any and all suggestions.  Also recognizing that this is probably part of my therapy conversation a week from this morning because my therapist wants to discuss anxiety and anxiety disorder treatment.  He said that he has some ideas.

Unfortunately for me the best strategy was good old fashioned work with the tdoc to try and interrupt that cycle, CBT helps many, but I really haven’t found a shortcut -med based at least - to stop the process without also working through it in a talk therapy setting... of course the goal of that would be to find and develop the unique “brain checks” that work for you. Lots of people feel exercise can help slow the mind down or finding a distracting hobby. Me - I play guitar to take my mind off it when something gets stuck and just won’t go away 

@Iceberg thanks for the ideas.  it may seem like a "see what my tdoc's plan is on 12/30" situation since he said he wants to talk about anxiety and anxiety treatment.  He's trained in CBT (as well as other things), so that may be the direction we're headed. 

The problem i hit is that it's worse when I'm trying to go to bed. 

1 hour ago, dancesintherain said:

@Iceberg thanks for the ideas.  it may seem like a "see what my tdoc's plan is on 12/30" situation since he said he wants to talk about anxiety and anxiety treatment.  He's trained in CBT (as well as other things), so that may be the direction we're headed. 

The problem i hit is that it's worse when I'm trying to go to bed. 

Well - maybe you could try a rescue med to get to sleep until your doc can work with you on non-med management (I know I’m kind of contradicting my last post, but pdocs have often given me an extra dose/prn med if things are consistently worse at a specific time) 

I’ll check in with her and see if she has thought on me increasing klonopin.  I take most everything at night, so the fact that I’m able to make it through that makes it really interesting.

i think this is predominantly a therapy thing also..he just unfortunately is on vacation on Monday.

But I think that just recognizing that something “is a therapy thing” can be half the battle so at least you’re aimed in the right direction 

Yeah I feel that - when I am under a lot of stress, usually from school, I definietly try to get some extra tdoc appts in to keep it all together 

yeah, we've added an additional session each week for the past three weeks.  I can't on the 30th because he's off the rest of the week. But we might be doubling up in January.

I'm fortunate that it's a possibility.