CrazyBoards.org

Thought I'd start a thread about ibs since i couldn't find one.

Maybe we could share suggestions, experiences etc.

I've had stomach problems my whole life. recently my ibs has gotten pretty bad. i feel like i can't leave the house without taking imodium. the pendulum swings back and forth between extremes. i'm so sick of this.

[i added your post onto this topic, but had to edit the title so it looked like the original thread- all capitals. I can't change the order of the posts though. SG- Sorry I lost the smiley. ~navy~]

Posts by PennyCentury from same thread.

are you doing anything for your IBS?

it sucks super big time... but things like keeping a food diary (looking for trigger foods) taking a lot of probiotics (or organic yogurt with active cultures, preferable with no added sugar) taking fiber, drinking enough water, magnesium, etc... CAN help.  there's that med zelnorm, it didn't help me... but may help you. 

it's good to talk to your pdoc about this.

you may also want to talk to a nutritionist about ways to help your IBS. 

penny

have you tried taking a probiotic instead of yogurt to get the acidopholis, etc? 

are you eating yogurt with additives in it?

taking a good probiotic supplement works just as well or better than yogurt.  just make sure the vitamin store/ health food store has the probiotic  in a fridge.  the bacteria has to be alive, and so needs refrigeration.

penny

this was so depressing. hubby offered to take me out to fancy dinner but i felt i couldn't risk it after a bad day and imodium . so i turned it down.  sad.

anyone else get weird side effects from immodium? it makes me feel kind of well "drugged".

hmm i gotta say since I turned vegan I haven't hardly had any trouble with my bowels.  I personally think it was dairy that really stuffed the plumbing up down there.  Not sure exactly why.  But, I go to the toilet pretty much like clockwork now... and its, errr, a more enjoyable experience. hehe And taking lithium never helped either, but I don't get that kind of lithium cramp down there anymore either.  so yer

i don't think all IBS is caused by dairy, but i do think that particular foods are triggers for a lot of people.  like i mentioned earlier, my ibs got a lot better after working with a nutritionist.  finding trigger foods can be annoying, but it's worth it.  common trigger foods are allergerns (dairy, seafood, nuts, wheat, etc.) and also fatty foods or hard to digest foods like red meat, etc.  cutting out possible triggers and keeping a food diary can really help.

as for immodium, i don't know.  i never took it.  in general, i've found that anything chemical that affects the digestive tract makes my ibs worse so i've tried to stick to fiber, etc. for regulation.  the "brat" diet for some days, fiber for regulation, etc. 

not that this fixes everything.  if i'm stressed out i still cramp up... but probiotics and diet really have made a difference.

penny

Archived