CrazyBoards.org

I have a tendency to go off topic in conversations. People stop and look at me like "wtf haven't you been listening?" My family in particular gets upset when I do this. 

Is this a kind of thought disorder? Not knowing how to stay on topic?

4 minutes ago, aura said:

I have a tendency to go off topic in conversations. People stop and look at me like "wtf haven't you been listening?" My family in particular gets upset when I do this. 

I do this too - pdoc thinks it’s some symptom of something (I’m BP1) but not exactly sure what. May also be from med side effect

Inability to concentrate/attention problems I believe are SZ symptoms.

Check this video out. I'm not saying you have all these features, but it was very educational to me. I had it start on "Female 1" because she has impaired attention/focusing. Disorganized speech and tangentiality is another symptom can be seen in Male 3 after Female 1.

I really hope this helps, and that you are able to get help with your affliction(s). :) 

Edited by mikl_pls
55 minutes ago, aura said:

@mikl_pls I relate so hard to the point where the doctor asks if she has attention problems and she just goes blank and says "huh?"

I do that too, except I don't think mine is SZ related but rather ADHD related. I'm the primarily inattentive type according to my pdoc. But yes, I really hope this video was of some assistance to you and maybe you can bring it up to your pdoc and s/he can do something about it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2019 at 6:30 PM, aura said:

The way you describe not staying on topic sounds more like difficulty with concentration, which could be virtually any flavor of mental health issue. 

There's also "loose associations," "flight of ideas," "tangential," and "circumstantiality," which be in the context of schizophrenia, schizoaffective, bipolar, etc. 

Lately I've noticed texts, posts, and private messages getting increasingly longer and longer and having a very hard time staying on topic the worse my illnesses get, and they're getting ever worse by the second, declining vastly beyond where I was at my prior worst.