CrazyBoards.org

CrazyRedhead

Need Help--New Dell Inspiron Laptop and Windows 10

Hi all......I had to replace my old Dell desktop running Windows 7.....Support for Windows 7 ends January 14, 2020, and my desktop was about 8-10 yrs old, anyway.......So I decided to get a brand new machine with Windows 10 already installed.

I like the Dell brand, and my daughter has had a Dell Inspiron for over 2 years, for college, and said she has had no problems at all with it.....So I purchased a Dell Inspiron 7000 series laptop  a couple days ago, and set it up yesterday.

This is just me complaining a bit, but compared to Windows 7, I don't like the Windows 10, at least not so far....It seems much more complicated to me, but maybe I'll get used to it eventually....**SIGH**

I guess one thing I wanted to ask is this....I'm really going to be using this laptop as a desktop.....I don't go anywhere much, except doc and therapy appts that friend drives me to, so this laptop will not be moving from a small table I have set up for it.

Also, I have talked to a couple of people at Dell Customer Support about whether to leave it plugged in, or unplug at night when it's shut down.....One person said it's okay to leave it plugged in, another guy says shut the computer down at night, and also unplug it, too.

Last night, I shut the computer down and unplugged it......This morning it was still at 100% percent battery level.....I have read so many differing opinions on the internet on how to keep the battery healthy.....Some people said it's not good for the battery to be at 100% all the time, others say it will not matter much, so I'm confused.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

It doesn't matter much as all modern devices have a hardware based cut-off where it will not overcharge the battery when full. 100% is not actually 100% anyways, so they are never full in reality.

Your laptop being off and unplugged but still at 100% is not unexpected. Lithium ion batteries do not suffer the the same drainage issues that older devices on the NiCd batteries.

Up to 80 is the healthiest and not draining to 0%..say 30 or 40, but that is only marginally better then keeping it plugged in all the time. Most battery guidelines are hold overs from the old NiCD battery best practices.

Windows 10? yeah, no choice. I don't much like it either.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, argh said:

Windows 10? yeah, no choice. I don't much like it either.

Thanks so much for info about the battery........How did you like that "Cortana" voice on Windows 10?.....

I've already disabled "Cortana" as far as I was able to.....LOL

Just now, CrazyRedhead said:

Thanks so much for info about the battery........How did you like that "Cortana" voice on Windows 10?.....

I've already disabled "Cortana" as far as I was able to.....LOL

I disabled the shit out of cortana the first day. it's like the modern version of that paperclip thing in MS word.

• Like 1

Cortana can eat a bag of dicks. I shut that shit down the day it arrived.

• Haha 1

Windows 7 is way better than 10, it wouldn't bother me that it's not supported anymore, we still use windows XP at work! My laptop is dualbooted so if i need to do something securely I make sure I'm in Ubuntu (linux) which is free and the LTS editions have support for years and years (the newest one has support till 2030 and will be free to upgrade at that point anyway). But swapping from using Windows regularly to Ubuntu is like swapping from Windows to Mac or visa versa, it takes a while to get used to, is a pain in the ass, and is it really worth it? Re-learning how to use a computer, re-learning where everything is...That's debatable .

Definitely unplug the laptop at night, we had to do fire-safety training at work.. oh my goodness! I know it's highly unlikely that it will cause a fire, but if it does, that's such a big problem, that it's well worth plugging it out just in case. There aren't may fires nowadays because safety standards are so good, but when there are it is usually phone and laptop chargers 😮

Also... never leave your phone under your pillow while it's charging! Make sure everyone in your house knows!

(If you have to charge your phone overnight, leave it on a hard surface, not carpet or bedding or anything like that
.)

Edited by Antecedent
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Antecedent said:

Definitely unplug the laptop at night, we had to do fire-safety training at work.. oh my goodness! I know it's highly unlikely that it will cause a fire, but if it does, that's such a big problem, that it's well worth plugging it out just in case. There aren't may fires nowadays because safety standards are so good, but when there are it is usually phone and laptop chargers 😮

Also... never leave your phone under your pillow while it's charging! Make sure everyone in your house knows!

(If you have to charge your phone overnight, leave it on a hard surface, not carpet or bedding or anything like that
.)

Thanks...!!......Yes, I've definitely been unplugging laptop at night....Just seemed a safer idea to me.

I don't use my cell very much, but when it does need charging, I do it during the day, usually on kitchen counter.....No phone charging under pillows around here...

I've also read that using a laptop while it's on your bed is a bad idea due to heat build-up from lack of ventilation.

• Like 1

It's true! At the same time I feel modern laptops don't get anything near as hot as they used to, but why risk it? the computer's components and battery will surely still be happier if it's cooler

• Like 1

5 hours ago, argh said:

Might be moot as it does have windows 10 already installed but it is the lack of security updates that pose a problem to unsupported versions of windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4467761/windows-what-happens-when-windows-7-support-ends

Yeah, the end of security updates is what is worrying people, I guess......I felt like I had no choice but to switch.....

It's kinda sad for me, but I'll get used to 10 eventually, I hope.

CrazyRedhead - If you're planning to use your laptop as more of a desktop, consider investing in a docking station. Whenever I bring my Dell laptop home, I plug it straight into the dock, which is connected to all my setup, and away we go!

On 12/30/2019 at 10:04 PM, Gearhead said:

Cortana can eat a bag of dicks.

<threadjack>Now this is a perfect example of why people don't like me. The above statement has occupied me since the moment I read it two days ago. My Aspie brain simply cannot take it at face value. It poses inherent questions, to wit:

1. Cortana has no mouth; how is this to be accomplished?
2. How big is the bag to be in terms of volume contained?
3. Must she eat the bag as well as its contents?
4. Are the contents to be exclusively human, animal, or a mixture thereof?
5. How are the contents to be obtained?
6. How will this improve the performance of the Cortana feature of Windows 10?

You see? By the time I'm finished fleshing out the necessary parameters to ensure that I fully understand what the person meant (note that I will have missed the point altogether) he or she will be giving me the stink-eye, followed by something like, "Just forget it."

Apologies for the diversion.</threadjack>

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

CrazyRedhead - If you're planning to use your laptop as more of a desktop, consider investing in a docking station. Whenever I bring my Dell laptop home, I plug it straight into the dock, which is connected to all my setup, and away we go!

Great idea!.......Thanks so much for the link..

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Apologies for the diversion.</threadjack>

No problem at all...!

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Does cortana have a voice?  I’ve never heard of it, don’t use it. I like windows 10 better than 7, not sure why but I was happy with the change and when work upgrades to it I’ll see if I still agree. 

didn’t know I should unplug my laptop—guess I’ll go do that now. Glad I read this. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, sugarsugar said:

Does cortana have a voice?  I’ve never heard of it, don’t use it. I like windows 10 better than 7, not sure why but I was happy with the change and when work upgrades to it I’ll see if I still agree. 

Yes, Cortana does have a voice (it did on my computer) unless you disable it......On my computer I disabled Cortana by going to my "Settings" section.....Under the settings, I found "Cortana", and turned off everything it could do.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I guess my cortana never was on to start with, lucky me. I guess in general I try to learn the new stuff and forget the old, since I have no choice, and because I was in online school and had no choice. I do wish I’d stuck with Dell, instead I got an HP and still hate it, still. Also I’ve found going on the Microsoft help site or YouTube has helped me with windows 10 and all things computer because I’m not very techy and I don’t know anyone to ask in person. Otherwise I would just give up. Since I was paying for online classes I had no choice but to make it work but since I wasn’t a 7 expert it didn’t matter that 10 was new, it was all difficult for me. I’m not really sure how other people learn computer stuff, should be easier. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sugarsugar said:

it was all difficult for me. I’m not really sure how other people learn computer stuff, should be easier. 

I'm not super-tech savvy, either, so you are not alone......I did receive some good help with Dell Customer Support.....I'm pretty sure HP has customer support, too.

I just try to learn a little bit as I go, and ask for help if I need it......I'm sorry you're not happy with your HP......☹️

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Funny I never did that because I thought I would have to pay for support?  I admit YouTube taught me much of what I needed for school. Hey whatever works.