CrazyBoards.org

low dose effexor xr for depression

Has anybody had luck with very low dose Effexor xr. Like only 37.5 or 75mg a day?

I generally do not very well on the higher doses of the dual acting SNRIs. Although awesome for depression I could only tolerate 30mg of brand Cymbalta. 60mg make me feel horrible. I had to go off of it and when I tried generic 30mg Cymbalta again it was not the same kind of miracle relief.

My doctor mentioned Effexor as he claims "there are very few drug interactions compared to Cymbalta" and the last thing I need right now is any wacky interactions with my meds (check my signature).

I would love to hear your experience with Effexor xr.

Thanks for listening.

15 hours ago, Sephiroth999 said:

Has anybody had luck with very low dose Effexor xr. Like only 37.5 or 75mg a day?

I generally do not very well on the higher doses of the dual acting SNRIs. Although awesome for depression I could only tolerate 30mg of brand Cymbalta. 60mg make me feel horrible. I had to go off of it and when I tried generic 30mg Cymbalta again it was not the same kind of miracle relief.

My doctor mentioned Effexor as he claims "there are very few drug interactions compared to Cymbalta" and the last thing I need right now is any wacky interactions with my meds (check my signature).

I would love to hear your experience with Effexor xr.

Thanks for listening.

@Sephiroth999 Yes! I have. I'm quite sensitive to side effects...I've been on 75mg for 5 months now. Was initially on 150mg starting 8 months ago, Effexor obliterated my anxiety & severe depression  (but higher dose gave me more apathy, lethargy, sweating and spaciness). Thing is, it works on Serotonin at doses under 150mg, so it may be working as low-dose SSRI here, dunno?

The 75mg seems to do the trick still, I haven't had a crying spell since. In fact, I wonder if 37.5mg maintenance dose would eventually do the trick. I still struggle with blahs & lack of motivation, but I'll take that over painful dysphoria any day.. I've also been on Lamictal (150mg) for 3.5 years.

Edited by Blahblah

3 hours ago, Blahblah said:

@Sephiroth999 Yes! I have. I'm quite sensitive to side effects...I've been on 75mg for 5 months now. Was initially on 150mg starting 8 months ago, Effexor obliterated my anxiety & severe depression  (but higher dose gave me more apathy, lethargy, sweating and spaciness). Thing is, it works on Serotonin at doses under 150mg, so it may be working as low-dose SSRI here, dunno?

The 75mg seems to do the trick still, I haven't had a crying spell since. In fact, I wonder if 37.5mg maintenance dose would eventually do the trick. I still struggle with blahs & lack of motivation, but I'll take that over painful dysphoria any day.. I've also been on Lamictal (150mg) for 3.5 years.

You sound like me. The doctors actually have to think with us types. Much of the time they can't just follow the "standard dose" or "standard titration" lol. Many years ago one lady put me on 20 mg of Zyprexa .She had the most lethal titration I have ever encountered (keep in mind I am not psychotic of bipolar), this was merely for for "GAD" and she thought instead of a benzo this would help the "paranoia" and not be addictive. After about a week on the 20 I tossed it in the trash and found a new doctor.[re: Effexor] Yeah, the higher the dose the more it hit the norep. receptors. My pdoc described it as "acts like a TCA over 150mg. As long as it doesn't squash my emotions (celexa did this, so did Lexapro) I might as well try the 37.5.

I hope your effexor does you well too. "Painful dysphoria" sounds all too uncomfortable and familiar and I hope I can get some brain cells going with the effex to think above and beyond the negatives.

Edited by Sephiroth999

5 hours ago, Sephiroth999 said:

You sound like me. The doctors actually have to think with us types. Much of the time they can't just follow the "standard dose" or "standard titration" lol. Many years ago one lady put me on 20 mg of Zyprexa .She had the most lethal titration I have ever encountered (keep in mind I am not psychotic of bipolar), this was merely for for "GAD" and she thought instead of a benzo this would help the "paranoia" and not be addictive. After about a week on the 20 I tossed it in the trash and found a new doctor.[re: Effexor] Yeah, the higher the dose the more it hit the norep. receptors. My pdoc described it as "acts like a TCA over 150mg. As long as it doesn't squash my emotions (celexa did this, so did Lexapro) I might as well try the 37.5.

I hope your effexor does you well too. "Painful dysphoria" sounds all too uncomfortable and familiar and I hope I can get some brain cells going with the effex to think above and beyond the negatives.

Good Lord, Zyprexa for anxiety? Yikes what a bad call. Yeah, anxiety will be gone, but they fail to mention you'll sleep 24/7 like an unconscious zombie and then gain a binge eating disorder and Diabetes. Docs can be really clueless.

SSRIs squash my emotions too - I'm all for the lowest most conservative doses. Good luck!

The most recent time I tried Effexor, 37.5 mg actually worked quite well. 75 mg made me feel pretty bad. The first time I took Effexor, I had to go up to 825 mg to get any benefit, and it would keep pooping out after every dose increase, so I quit it and moved on to something else. I normally require very high doses of antidepressants, probably a rapid metabolizer.

Yeah, Celexa and Lexapro are infamous for quashing emotions and zombifying patients. Zoloft can too, but is less likely to do so. To me I find Zoloft stimulating.