CrazyBoards.org

Hello. I am currently taking 15mg Adderall for energy and focus due to ADHD symptoms. I wish to add back in my risperidone. I don't need much. Under 2mgs does the trick just fine.

I have only been on Adderall for 1 year and it's a miracle med for me so I have never taken them both together. Upon looking them up the mechanism of action of the two meds seems to be diametrically opposed... Risperdal blocks dopamine, serotonin etc. but Adderall obviously releases it.

Is anybody on this combination? If so how is it working for you?

-Thanks for listening

22 minutes ago, Sephiroth999 said:

Hello. I am currently taking 15mg Adderall for energy and focus due to ADHD symptoms. I wish to add back in my risperidone. I don't need much. Under 2mgs does the trick just fine.

I have only been on Adderall for 1 year and it's a miracle med for me so I have never taken them both together. Upon looking them up the mechanism of action of the two meds seems to be diametrically opposed... Risperdal blocks dopamine, serotonin etc. but Adderall obviously releases it.

-Thanks for listening

What symptoms/Dx is the risp for?

25 minutes ago, Sephiroth999 said:

-Thanks for listening

Obviously, it’s highly variable but tons of people take stimulants with antipsychotics. I have for several yearsΒ 

3 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Disturbing/morbid thoughts and agitation. It also helps my OCD and to a lesser extent anxiety. I start with 0.25 or 0.5mg and go up by .25 or .5 increments every 3 days. I was told I can add it back in "if I feel the need to".

Edited by Sephiroth999

3 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

@Sephiroth999, I notice you take vitamin D 50,000 IU. Do you take this daily or weekly?

I'm not sure where you are getting 50,000 from. I take 5000 IU twice per day with meals, sometimes 20,000-30,000 in the winter usually no longer than a week, or two or three. Yes, all of those supplements and doses are psych approved. My Psych and my Naturopath have teamed up. After the years of isolation from the sun and a very poor diet we came to find out I was severely deficient in D and those other nutrients. The multivitamin is to fill in the gaps with the minerals and the b vitamins etc..

Edited by Sephiroth999

14 hours ago, Sephiroth999 said:

I'm not sure where you are getting 50,000 from. I take 5000 IU twice per day with meals, sometimes 20,000-30,000 in the winter usually no longer than a week, or two or three. Yes, all of those supplements and doses are psych approved. My Psych and my Naturopath have teamed up. After the years of isolation from the sun and a very poor diet we came to find out I was severely deficient in D and those other nutrients. The multivitamin is to fill in the gaps with the minerals and the b vitamins etc..

Doh! I saw 10,000 and replaced it with 50,000 in my head. I'm sorry!

They do make a 50,000 IU ergocalciferol (Vitamin D2) and cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) capsule to take weekly or more often if needed. I was on the Drisdol (vitamin D2) for the longest time but never was able to get my vit D levels in range, but I had my pdoc write my prescription for vit D3 and they filled it still with Drisdol anyway, so I just went to Amazon and ordered this product and my levels went right within range perfectly in no time. So I've just been ordering that and taking it weekly. Just something to consider. If what you're doing is working, don't change it. ;)Β  I might actually try what you're doing and have one of my docs check my vit D levels. I might also try to find a doc who specializes in measuring vitamin levels and correcting them (Naturopath you called them?).

4 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

Doh! I saw 10,000 and replaced it with 50,000 in my head. I'm sorry!

They do make a 50,000 IU ergocalciferol (Vitamin D2) and cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) capsule to take weekly or more often if needed. I was on the Drisdol (vitamin D2) for the longest time but never was able to get my vit D levels in range, but I had my pdoc write my prescription for vit D3 and they filled it still with Drisdol anyway, so I just went to Amazon and ordered this product and my levels went right within range perfectly in no time. So I've just been ordering that and taking it weekly. Just something to consider. If what you're doing is working, don't change it. ;)Β  I might actually try what you're doing and have one of my docs check my vit D levels. I might also try to find a doc who specializes in measuring vitamin levels and correcting them (Naturopath you called them?).

I will look into that, thank you.Adding magnesium or niacin is great for suicidal thoughts. [re: risperidone] My pdoc told me this about it … Serotonin only 0.5-1mg, Serotonin and Dopamine 1-3mg, Dopamine only 4mg+. Therapeutic effect for psychosis is due to blocking the D2 and D4 receptors.

Edited by Sephiroth999
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sephiroth999 said:

I will look into that, thank you.Adding magnesium or niacin is great for suicidal thoughts. [re: risperidone] My pdoc told me this about it … Serotonin only 0.5-1mg, Serotonin and Dopamine 1-3mg, Dopamine only 4mg+. Therapeutic effect for psychosis is due to blocking the D2 and D4 receptors.

I've heard that about magnesium but niacin can be risky due to decreased insulin sensitivity. It also decreases expression of the serotonin transporter, what significance that has I don't know.

That makes sense about risperidone. That's typically how many of the AAPs work so long as the affinity for the serotonin receptors are higher than that of the dopamine receptors, which actually isn't the case universally for AAPs.