CrazyBoards.org

Decent afternoon (despite a HUGE hassle that is not resolved). I try to pinpoint any normality, or slight "uptick" in mood, and how to maintain it. (if you read my recent posts, I've been bed-bound, lethargic, apathetic, laying in bed for a week straight).

I took all my vitamins today (haven't taken any in 2 months) I felt noticeably more energetic afterwards...and wondering if it's the vitamins, Omega3 or just Placebo effect??

I didn't realise that Placebo effect can be up to a whopping 72% ! Crazy...by simply thinking & believing something will work, it can make such a difference. This got me thinking, the placebo effect also works the other way, if you feel hopeless and constantly think "Nothing works, I won't feel anything, this will make me worse because my friend had bad side effects..."  Boom - you could have the response you are expecting. Just something to ponder...

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mental-health/the-power-of-the-placebo-effect

"Strong placebo responses have also been linked to increases in dopamine and opioid receptor activity. Both of these chemicals are involved in reward and motivation pathways in the brain. Conversely, nocebos have been found to reduce dopamine and opioid receptor activity.

Some of these neurological changes occur in areas of the brain that are often targeted by antidepressant drugs. This might account for the 50 to 75 percent placebo response rate in antidepressant trials."    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/306437.php#clinical-usage-of-placebos  

Edited by Blahblah
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Blahblah said:

I took all my vitamins today (haven't taken any in 2 months) I felt noticeably more energetic afterwards...and wondering if it's the vitamins, Omega3 or just Placebo effect??

I didn't realise that Placebo effect can be up to a whopping 72% ! Crazy...by simply thinking & believing something will work, it can make such a difference. This got me thinking, the placebo effect also works the other way, if you feel hopeless and constantly think "Nothing works, I won't feel anything, this will make me worse because my friend had bad side effects..."  Boom - you could have the response you are expecting. Just something to ponder...

Psychology Today on the placebo effect: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/out-the-darkness/201709/the-power-placebo

WebMD on placebo effect: https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/what-is-the-placebo-effect#1

The placebo effect seems to be a real thing...lots of info out there on it.......It's possible that it could work the other way as well.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

@CrazyRedhead  What's more bizarre to me is the fact that even when patients know that they are receiving the fake drug/placebo - they still report significant relief of symptoms!

I wonder how we can increase the rate of positive "placebo" effect in ourselves (when we are trialing a new medication)? Is there any way to bypass our negative expectations? Sounds a bit like CBT and forced positive thinking (which doesn't work for me) But there's also NLP (which I've never tried)

• Like 1

I wonder how long placebo effect lasts?  I used to try orthomolecular therapy for my depression—many years ago. Seemed to help for a while then not so much. Placebo effect that wore off maybe?  Very hard to apply this to real life for me.