CrazyBoards.org

Is it hard to come off gabapentin if I abused it? Lately I  took high doses of gabapentin like 6-8 grams per day,because my anxiety is high. I slowly titrate dose down to minimize withdrawal.

My normal prescribed dose is low only 900mg per day.Now reduced to 600mg.

Edited by morpheus

On 1/15/2020 at 3:21 AM, morpheus said:

Is it hard to come off gabapentin if I abused it? Lately I  took high doses of gabapentin like 6-8 grams per day,because my anxiety is high. I slowly titrate dose down to minimize withdrawal.

My normal prescribed dose is low only 900mg per day.Now reduced to 600mg.

I would imagine it could cause withdrawal seizures if you suddenly take the dose from a high dose to a low dose or cease taking it. It also depends on how long you took it at that high a dose. If you were on 6-8 g/d for many weeks to months, you would need to gradually titrate down. If you've only been on it for a few days to a couple of weeks though, I would imagine it wouldn't be a problem to return to your normal dose without titrating down.

As for whether the subjective experience of coming off of gabapentin after having abused it is a difficult experience, I can't say because I've never experienced it. I took up to 800 mg/day, sometimes 1200 mg (wasn't supposed to go above 800 mg). I never felt anything with gabapentin at all. No help with sleep, no help with anxiety, no help with tremor, nothing.

I hope your experience is without any difficulties and safe.

• Thanks 1