Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Fighting Boredom thread: What did you try today?


Recommended Posts

Starting this thread because boredom, idleness, lack of stimulation is often a key trigger of depression and bad habits. When I get bored, I feel an emptiness, uselessness and physical/mental lethargy, cue ruminations, then I sleep excessively. This isn't always fatigue: It's an automatic (and very negative) avoidance behavior.

This link lists 150 ideas (from high effort to minimal effort - from "fun" to mundane) in order to build healthier habits. I need to stop waiting to "feel good" before taking any action. Any thoughts?

https://www.developgoodhabits.com/what-to-do-bored/

Today, I:

Journaled, Cleaned my desktop, Backed up computer, unsubscribed to some junk email, Did some stretching, called a relative, dealt with an admin issue, read some blogs about depression, provided some words of support/appreciation for someone.

Edited by Blahblah
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good idea for a thread.

Today I went out to lunch with my husband. We had Indian food, which is my favorite international cuisine. While we were there, I realized that the ambient music was a sitar player covering such classics as “Desparado” and CCR’s “Who’ll Stop the Rain?” It was a moment of transcendent surrealism. I was entranced. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Gearhead said:

Good idea for a thread.

Today I went out to lunch with my husband. We had Indian food, which is my favorite international cuisine. While we were there, I realized that the ambient music was a sitar player covering such classics as “Desparado” and CCR’s “Who’ll Stop the Rain?” It was a moment of transcendent surrealism. I was entranced. 

I was really flummoxed a few months ago at a Mexican restaurant to hear a swing version of Walk on the Wild Side.

Today I drove my kids to school, did a bunch of meditating, went to a medical appointment, and picked up my son.

Edited by Unstrung Harp
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After work, I finally packed up my old, damaged android phone and took it to the post office to mail back to the third party insurance people. 

Also got an oil change that I definitely needed. 

Felt pretty proud of myself since I was tired and had zero motivation. Usually do something to avoid/sabotage. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today, I took my friend to a neighboring city where his pharmacy is to get his meds and paid for a flu shot for him.

I also managed to find my nebulizer asthma medicine (for some reason I put all the boxes in the back of one of the drawers in my chest of drawers), used it, and coughed up a ton of phlegm! It was strangely satisfying... yet disgusting... lol 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Emailed psychiatrist with update on my symptoms (I hate to be a bother), listened to some Binaural Beats (after 90 minutes of mindless FB scrolling), called to deal with my Mac issues (been procrastinating badly). Though those were not really "fun" things, the music was somewhat enjoyable and I also held 2 minutes of "planks" yesterday (and my abs can feel it, yikes I'm out of shape!!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Unstrung Harp said:

I was really flummoxed a few months ago at a Mexican restaurant to hear a swing version of Walk on the Wild Side.

So random. What's with all these mellowed-out/cover versions of past rock songs? Guess I'm getting old, but I still like my rock music at least! Before long we'll be hearing instrumental elevator music versions of Bowie or Nirvana (actually those probably already exist... 😝)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ennui might be a better word because it's French and makes me sound more intelligent than I am. But it does capture it better than mere boredom. It's not mere boredom though and it is an emptiness, pointlessness, uselessness. You can get so stuck in your own head that you don't see what's in front of you - "Oh is that volcano erupting? I was too busy thinking about the futility of life." It's difficult to break out of the desire to do nothing and avoid everyone, but that just leads you further up the anus hole of depression.

Doing something new and challenging yourself is probably the best way. It might not be anything spectacular like doing a parachute jump or jumping a motorcycle through burning rings. Maybe the volcano was a bad example, we can shrink our world down to something we can manage, and that can cut out the good bits and make life boring. Or am I talking about two different things? Ah it's all fucking depression at the end of the day.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Fluent In Silence said:

but that just leads you further up the anus hole of depression.

What an unusual perspective. I have always found myself headed downward into the anus hole of depression. Perhaps you are having a moment of unexpected optimism?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

What an unusual perspective. I have always found myself headed downward into the anus hole of depression. Perhaps you are having a moment of unexpected optimism?

Downward would be out, unless the anus hole of depression was doing a handstand, and I wouldn't be surprised if it did that because it's an arsehole.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Fluent In Silence said:

Ennui might be a better word because it's French and makes me sound more intelligent than I am. But it does capture it better than mere boredom. It's not mere boredom though and it is an emptiness, pointlessness, uselessness. You can get so stuck in your own head that you don't see what's in front of you - "Oh is that volcano erupting? I was too busy thinking about the futility of life." It's difficult to break out of the desire to do nothing and avoid everyone, but that just leads you further up the anus hole of depression.

Doing something new and challenging yourself is probably the best way. It might not be anything spectacular like doing a parachute jump or jumping a motorcycle through burning rings. Maybe the volcano was a bad example, we can shrink our world down to something we can manage, and that can cut out the good bits and make life boring. Or am I talking about two different things? Ah it's all fucking depression at the end of the day.

Too funny. Yes, I suppose Ennui would be a better word. But let me delude myself and call it simple boredom, sounds less of a mountain to climb (or anus hole of depression to avoid) 😜

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2020 at 10:09 AM, Blahblah said:

Starting this thread because boredom, idleness, lack of stimulation is often a key trigger of depression and bad habits. When I get bored, I feel an emptiness, uselessness and physical/mental lethargy, cue ruminations, then I sleep excessively. This isn't always fatigue: It's an automatic (and very negative) avoidance behavior.

This link lists 150 ideas (from high effort to minimal effort - from "fun" to mundane) in order to build healthier habits. I need to stop waiting to "feel good" before taking any action. Any thoughts?

https://www.developgoodhabits.com/what-to-do-bored/

Today, I:

Journaled, Cleaned my desktop, Backed up computer, unsubscribed to some junk email, Did some stretching, called a relative, dealt with an admin issue, read some blogs about depression, provided some words of support/appreciation for someone.

My OCD prevents me from reading loads of comments so I don't know if this has been suggested before but you know that the whole "action before feeling like action" is covered big-time in the "Feeling Good" (David Burns) book? I fucking hate that book. I naively followed all the exercises, expecting change and... nothing. 

To my knowledge, the prick who wrote it has never encountered someone with either TRD or anhedonia. He's such a condescending wanker. To be fair, I'm sure a huge chunk of non-TR folks he sees are "miraculously" transformed by these CBT techniques and he has to instill optimism but please, it's like us anhedonic folk literally don't exist.

Edited by sming
named the FG author
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, sming said:

My OCD prevents me from reading loads of comments so I don't know if this has been suggested before but you know that the whole "action before feeling like action" is covered big-time in the "Feeling Good" (David Burns) book? I fucking hate that book. I naively followed all the exercises, expecting change and... nothing. 

To my knowledge, the prick who wrote it has never encountered someone with either TRD or anhedonia. He's such a condescending wanker. To be fair, I'm sure a huge chunk of non-TR folks he sees are "miraculously" transformed by these CBT techniques and he has to instill optimism but please, it's like us anhedonic folk literally don't exist.

Oh God - I know that book well. My first pdoc recommended it. I hate CBT also. I keep trying to take action, because I keep feeling like it's my damn fault or plain laziness. No one ever takes anhedonia seriously and I'm constantly questioning whether I have some sort of TRD or if I'm just f&cking lazy, or my brain is just destroyed and royally screwed (to the point of no return) after 2 decades of powerful psych meds.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By Blahblah
      Has anyone (without a clinical thyroid disorder) tried Cytomel and had benefit with depression & fatigue? It seems most docs are resistant to trying it due to the possible heart/ bone density side effects.
      Even when it comes to thyroid disorders, There are some circles that disagree with the TSH lab ranges (what is "acceptable") and that TSH may not be good indicator of thyroid function for everyone anyway...
      I know T3 is rarely prescribed (even for ppl with thyroid issues). But I also read that in a few studies, folks with treatment-resistant depression (with no thyroid issues) can also benefit from using T3 as an add-on or "booster".
       
       
    • By Blahblah
      I banged my head (outer eyebrow near temple) a week ago, on a cabinet door. I'm wondering if anyone here has got a concussion from this sort of thing? How do you know for sure?
      I iced it for an hour immediately, so very minimal bruising, but had a large lump (which is going down). Its very tender. My temple and eyebrow still feel "achey" (it's not really a headache). I also feel extra lethargic with brain fog, abrupt worsening of mood. I go to doc tomorrow, but I read that MRI scans cannot show mild concussions (only bone fractures or brain bleeding) and I also wonder if it's just my depression getting worse (versus a head injury from a bump)...?
      I HATE going to the Dr for this sort of thing... because I don't want to be labeled as "malingering" or a hypochondriac mental case. Doctors always see a diagnosis of depression on my file (and meds I'm on) and of course (being a woman also), it makes them more apt to always write things off as psychological or stress-related. 😞
    • By Inanlae
      So for seventeen years I've had pain depression.  It especially feels like it's squeezing my heart.  It hasn't historically been *about* anything.  I've just chalked it up to biochemistry, heredity.  And I've thought about suicide, most days, for at least fifteen years - because pain sucks.  Ups-and-downs.  Roller-coasters.  Probably every person on here has done time at the worst torture theme park in the world.

      Two years ago, my cocktail started working.  There was some CBT and DBT in the mix too.  I decreased my daily Ativan from 3mg to 2mg.  Plus 20mg Latuda, 300mg Sertraline, 100mg Topamax.  I actually felt happy, for about two years, until this October.  Then it stopped working.  And I stopped working.  I work in a level I trauma center, where I identify cancer, anemia, and the effects of the coronavirus on the human body.  I feel like I have a front row seat to human suffering, without being empowered to ameliorate it, and it's another kind of torture.

      I am very tired of fighting.  If there was a euthanasia travel agency, where I could just walk in, plan my funeral and end-of-life arrangements, plan my ideal death, and just call this thing at 38, that would be a somewhat attractive option (not telling, The Tallest Man on Earth, flaming-Viking-burial-at-sea.)  I'm tired of fighting this disease, personally.  And I'm tired of coming up against the tsunami of "world suck" (H/T Vlog Brothers) which seems to be hate-fucking itself ad astra.

      So the strain theory, which I haven't read much on yet, is that we consider the termination of our lives when under one or more types of strain.  I personally find this theory hopeful, as targeting the sources of strain, i.e. "world stuck," could reduce the inducements to terminate one's life.  The General Strain Theory, according to one Wik I. Pedia cites loss of positive stimuli, addition of negative stimuli, or the inability to reach a desired goal, as three possible sources of strain.  I will follow up on this with my tdoc on Wednesday.  I think work is introducing negative stimuli, and I have a shit ton of unreached goals, but am starting to care about goals less and less.  Basically, it pisses me off that I've had to dramatically reduce my goals due to my diseases, and it's kind of tempting to just leave the party.  Please feel free to weigh in if you have personal and or academic experience with this.

      I'm also meeting virtually with my pdoc tomorrow... to tweak the cocktail.  Would love recommendations.  My current rx mix, dxs and rx, failures are in my signature.  Lamictal induces hives and vomiting.  Depakote causes dyskinesia.  Lithium ruined the thyroid and causes acute renal failure.  Medicine.  Ha ha.  Organ roulette.

      So the observation about different species of depression is that while for a decade-and-a-half I experienced what seemed like purely biochemical, chains-around-my-heart, tar-and-shark-filled, basements-beneath-basements depression.  This feels more like a rational(?) depression, which has me concerned about whether it will be responsive to biochemical therapy.

       
    • By Isaiah2017
      I'm having a hell of a hard time and experiencing rather weird symptoms. Whether they've anything to do with Mirtazapine (Remeron) is something that I strongly feel but can't quite convince any doctor of.   I was put on 15 mg of it in spring 2015 for depression and a severe insomnia - I hadn't slept an hour like since 25 nights back then! The benefits showed immediately within a day and surprised myself and my family. I would sleep well and be in a very happy and cheerful mood.   Then however, from summer 2016 I developed some strange food intolerances; caffeine, sugar, fruits containing high amounts of fructose, yoghurt, butter and so on. Eating anything of that would cause me jitteriness and insomnia. I steered clear of those foods.   From autumn last year though, a lot of those food intolerances have relented and it changed into intolerance towards medicines and supplements that I was on; the thyroid medicine for hypothyroidism, Vitamin D, Calcium, Vitamin E and could never again tolerate any new medicine or supplement. Symptoms resulting from these are, again, jitters, insomnia and a strange kind of feeling of being struck on the head, like I can't hear anything and the thinking becomes very unclear and blurred. Coupled with this is a weird sensation that if a medicine has any potential side-effect (even physical, such as urine retention), I get it at all costs. So I'm steering clear of the culprits here too.   However, avoiding the culprits doesn't end my misery, it just helps in avoiding a whole new set of symptoms, because since autumn 2016 I'm under constant brainfog anyway, have heart palpitations immediately after every meal (but worst after breakfast), have concentration and focus issues, lead a life without any hobbies, wishes or desires. Nothing excites me, nothing interests me and nothing catches my attention. Leave tasks pending for months (the most unlike me habbit), have badly lost my sense of humour. My sense of humour was something that I literally used to pride on, and friends from around the world would call me to fresh up if they were having a dull day. My mind feels numb, although it isn´t as if it´s the sedating effect of the Mirtazapine because 90% percent of the nights I don´t sleep well, and on a lot of nights I feel as if I´m asleep with an awake mind!   The GP who put me on it considered it to be just the effects of anxiety and depression and recommended the doubling of the dose to 30 mg. When I contested that, given that I´ve my doubts of a lot of these issues being brought upon by Mirtazapine itself, she referred me to a psychiatrist. He too strongly denies of Mirtazapine having any hand to play on it and instead thinks it´ll be best to combine it with another antidepressant for day-time.   He put me on Paroxetine, boom, a flood of side-effects! Then changed to Fluoxetine (Prozac) - third day on it and having weird feelings. The heart poundings are one and is in fact making me very depressed and hopeless!
    • By Blahblah
      Even when my mood is stable (and I don't really feel depressed), I have excessive boredom... or is it laziness or Apathy? Especially since the confinement, nothing is open, nowhere to go, nowhere nice to even walk around to distract myself. I'm unemployed. It's been much worse. I can manage to do basic things on good days (like shower, exercise, go outside for a walk, cook, eat healthy)....but this literally is all I can do....
      I try to initiate something enjoyable (like reading a book, or doing something creative, listen to music) and I cannot engage. I have extreme resistance, cannot sustain any interest. It feels like a combination of boredom, resistance and apathy..... I do sort of enjoy some things (napping and watching netflix). But it is impossible to get myself to do anything productive. I feel lazy and worried I won't be able to function in a job.
      Since I do feel some pleasure in taking a shower, napping, I assume it isn't full anhedonia? There seems to be no cure for this, my pdoc seems to be pleased when I'm stable and not depressed. I've felt like this for many years and essentially just force myself to do everything....stimulants help me focus but they don't allow me to be interested in anything.... pdoc has no ideas & doesn't seem to think that this is depression.....or even worth treating. Help.
×
×
  • Create New...