CrazyBoards.org

Blahblah

Anyone try Better Help or online Therapy??

I'm beginning to realise that I really need to start talking to a Therapist again. Main issue is I'm unemployed, have no money to afford the $150 per session (even sliding scale doesn't bring it down much)

Anyone have good experiences with Better Help or that Cups of Tea site? I know it's not ideal (not in-person) . I wonder if it's helpful for people with more long term (or severe) mental health issues. Testimonials are good, but its often people with short term, more benign problems (not a complicated history) Thanks in advance. I guess it's worth a shot...I'm assuming they are licensed therapists?

I haven't tried them but I expect they work well, just from my own bias. I think many of us are naturally very uninhibited over the internet and so things can move quickly because we feel safe sooner. but this is me guessing. What I can add to the mix is another site to consider: TalkSpace
I've heard good things

I tried MoodGym back when it was free and it worked surprisingly well for me. It’s unfortunate it costs now. It was CBT based so I liked it quite a bit. 

• Like 1

MoodGym was classes, right? WoeBot is similar, classes designed in a chatbot style

Hopefully, now that there is lots of evidence MoodGym works, someone will make another one that is free. The NHS were trialling blended therapy with an online CBT course similar to MoodGym and then face to face therapy. It's a great idea, I think a CBT therapist could be a lot more efficient if a lot of the "psychoeducation" part was already done and the therapist could just focus on everything unique about the person in front of them

Well, I signed up with them.. during the sign up, I had to fill out this form with some background & priority areas, diagnosis, etc. Then the system matches you to someone (based on what?) They ended up matching me to this religious/Christian woman who primarily worked with church communities, community service, drug abuse outreach...Absolutely not a match to anything I was looking for!

I found I was able to pick someone else before the first session call, but it was really hard just looking at photos and the generic sounding profiles. I assume it's very hit & miss. You can't have an initial "get to know you" call.. I just sort of picked this woman that had a friendly face and nice smile. She was nice enough over the phone, but she literally sounded like she was barely 20 years old. Green, not super experienced. Sigh...I have such a long complicated history, I don't think she'll be particularly insightful, or tell me anything I don't already know.

I'm really beginning to feel like therapy is useless for me. Finding someone sharp, and really worth the money is tougher than finding a needle in a haystack.  I'm literally just paying for someone nice to listen to me and say a few encouraging things. 😢

Edited by Blahblah

On 2/22/2020 at 2:37 AM, Antecedent said:

MoodGym was classes, right? WoeBot is similar, classes designed in a chatbot style

Hopefully, now that there is lots of evidence MoodGym works, someone will make another one that is free. The NHS were trialling blended therapy with an online CBT course similar to MoodGym and then face to face therapy. It's a great idea, I think a CBT therapist could be a lot more efficient if a lot of the "psychoeducation" part was already done and the therapist could just focus on everything unique about the person in front of them

MoodGym was interactive, there was reading, but you did assignments online at your own pace and completed the program as fast or as slow as you wanted to. It would give you homework to work on too. It tailored to your needs based on a long list of questions figuring out what you struggled with most.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, saintalto said:

MoodGym was interactive, there was reading, but you did assignments online at your own pace and completed the program as fast or as slow as you wanted to. It would give you homework to work on too. It tailored to your needs based on a long list of questions figuring out what you struggled with most.  

I'll definitely check it out, thanks! Did it help you a lot?

I had a Moodtracker app for awhile, but it got so tedious, and I had no progress. Basically it was all CBT. You write out a situation & negative thoughts and you get these prompts. It didn't have any proactive tasks or strategies. I find so much of what is out there so superficial, really shallow. Too many obvious things are suggested like "feeling depressed? go for a walk and breathe the fresh air" sort of stuff. I'm like, I paid for a subscription for THIS???! It just made me super annoyed and offended, I may be depressed, but I'm not a clueless idiot! haha.

I recently tried this app that was a top rated one on Apple. Was useless, obviously for people that have no clue about depression or if they have it. You spend 3 times per day answering questions, for a total of 14 days. All questions that can be found on any of the basic Depression inventories (i.e. do you feel more hopeless than usual? Are you sleeping more/less?)...at the end of the 2 weeks, answering these repetitive questions, basically it told me that I have Depression and should speak with a licensed Therapist. (Well, no sh*t Sherlock! thanks for wasting my time, any quiz on Psych central could tell me this in 5 minutes!)  Then the Paywall to access any content: they have these short videos and reading materials, but you must pay to access any of them. Stupid - all stuff that you can easily Google online for FREE!!

I was shocked that this app was rated so highly, as they boasted that "clinical psychiatrists & experts" built the content, etc. ALL GENERIC FLUFF!!!!  🙄

Edited by Blahblah
  • Like 1

7 cups of tea has really basic exercises that it encourages you to do every day.  It gets kind of repetitive but it is free and can be helpful.  I would never try the online therapy there.  I think the listener system is as likely to make you feel worse as better.  It's not a substitute for anything, at least the free version isn't.

Edited by Banana Smurf

12 hours ago, Blahblah said:

I'll definitely check it out, thanks! Did it help you a lot?

I had a Moodtracker app for awhile, but it got so tedious, and I had no progress. Basically it was all CBT. You write out a situation & negative thoughts and you get these prompts. It didn't have any proactive tasks or strategies. I find so much of what is out there so superficial, really shallow. Too many obvious things are suggested like "feeling depressed? go for a walk and breathe the fresh air" sort of stuff. I'm like, I paid for a subscription for THIS???! It just made me super annoyed and offended, I may be depressed, but I'm not a clueless idiot! haha.

I recently tried this app that was a top rated one on Apple. Was useless, obviously for people that have no clue about depression or if they have it. You spend 3 times per day answering questions, for a total of 14 days. All questions that can be found on any of the basic Depression inventories (i.e. do you feel more hopeless than usual? Are you sleeping more/less?)...at the end of the 2 weeks, answering these repetitive questions, basically it told me that I have Depression and should speak with a licensed Therapist. (Well, no sh*t Sherlock! thanks for wasting my time, any quiz on Psych central could tell me this in 5 minutes!)  Then the Paywall to access any content: they have these short videos and reading materials, but you must pay to access any of them. Stupid - all stuff that you can easily Google online for FREE!!

I was shocked that this app was rated so highly, as they boasted that "clinical psychiatrists & experts" built the content, etc. ALL GENERIC FLUFF!!!!  🙄

I did not find mood tracker apps helpful.

MoodGym might be a lot of what you know if you are familiar with CBT but I found it very useful in that it gave me lots of exercises and work to do. The example people it used for me to identify with could be a little cheesy at times, but they were also fairly accurate to the issues I do struggle with. I don’t do well with just talk therapy, so the constant homework and exercises it offered felt constructive and like I was achieving something. I did end up using some of the coping strategies they gave me long after I did the program. I would do it again to brush up on my CBT if it didn’t cost. It used to be free.  

I use online therapy. I did Talkspace for about 9 months or so, and I just started with a new therapist on Better Help. I've also had MANY in-person therapists and never got anywhere. But online therapy is actually better for me.

I liked my therapist okay on Talkspace, and she was intuitive and understanding, although I can't say I made a ton of progress or anything. I don't even know what kind of progress CAN be made with someone as bad as me, but I'm giving it a shot. My new therapist is (I think) exactly the kind of person I've wanted to connect with; she's really no nonsense, tells it like it is with no sugar coating, which is great for me as I like to cut through all the bullshit.

We're doing DBT, which years ago I would have scorned; I HATED CBT and DBT seemed like it was going to be similar,  but since that time I've gotten over my annoyance with the McMindfulness trends and gotten back into meditation. I'd forgotten how much eastern influence DBT has, so I thought it was worth giving it a shot.

• Like 2