CrazyBoards.org

Good God, my habitual oversleeping is worsening.....I literally cannot get up before 11am. I know this is probably due to the fact that yes, I'm depressed and do not have anything of purpose at the moment to wake up for.....PLUS winter weather that's dark as Hell.....PLUS on a stupid stimulant break, until I can get in to see pdoc in 5 days.

Are there any other tactics you've used?? I'm going to bed same time every night (by 11pm). I sleep really well entire night. WTF.

I tried a sunlamp thing in the past and it made me headachey & irritable. Even when I go for walks during the day, it doesn't help.

4 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Are there any other tactics you've used?? I'm going to bed same time every night (by 11pm). I sleep really well entire night. WTF.

Just a thought, but would it be possible for you to go to bed a little bit earlier?......Maybe 9pm instead of 11pm?

I've tried that a few times... I end up just laying there, toss & turn, but then don't actually fall asleep until at least 11pm. Maybe I should try a bit earlier each night and slowly shift my schedule? I don't know. I think it is all psychological, I'm not really tired per say, it's like this lead weight of futility & the uselessness of life. Lately, even when I do manage to get up before 11am and complete a few tasks -  I end up laying around for hours in the afternoon or actually sleeping. I just want to lay in bed half the day.....

Edited by Blahblah

1 hour ago, Blahblah said:

Maybe I should try a bit earlier each night and slowly shift my schedule? I don't know. I think it is all psychological, I'm not really tired per say, it's like this lead weight of futility & the uselessness of life. Lately, even when I do manage to get up before 11am and complete a few tasks -  I end up laying around for hours in the afternoon or actually sleeping. I just want to lay in bed half the day.....

Shifting your bedtime more gradually might work...Maybe start with 15 minutes (10:45pm) for a few days, then shift again by 15 minutes.....Worth a try.

Also, for daytime sleepiness, have you considered asking your pdoc about Provigil or Nuvigil?...They are not classed as "stimulants", but are classed as "wakefulness-promoting" agents.

2 hours ago, Blahblah said:

...it's like this lead weight of futility & the uselessness of life. Lately, even when I do manage to get up before 11am and complete a few tasks -  I end up laying around for hours in the afternoon or actually sleeping. I just want to lay in bed half the day.....

No good suggestions unfortunately, compatriot*. Actually, one severe and/or crap suggestion is to get yourself on a med/meds that cause early waking. Due to my regimen, I involuntarily wake up - like wide awake - between 4 and 6 a.m. no matter how tired I was nor how late I stayed up (although I'm always in bed by 7pm because there's no point in being awake once my Adderall doses are done). But this is merely shifting the problem forward a few hours actually i.e. I go to sleep stupid early because of my depression and you get up stupid late because of your depression ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

On weekends, when I don't "have to" be at work (and I appreciate I'm lucky to be able to hold down a job), I struggle with the "futility & uselessness of life" all the more. In between kid-juggling (I have kids. I do not have a weirdo hobby of literally juggling kids or anything), I lay in bed, because sitting up is too much effort. I stare at the wall or sky most the day because I can't think of a single thing that I want to do. With any luck, I fall asleep.

Life. Fucking. Sucks.

* That's a crap joke that only other Welsh people will get.

• Haha 1

You could try staying awake overnight, throughout the morning etc.

Works for me better than approved methods. 

Your tdoc might slap you. 

I'm getting the same problem too, and it's debilitating on top of my already debilitating treatment resistant depression and OCD, especially if I have trouble sleeping and take my Seroquel and traozodone to help me sleep. That's almot always a guaranteed way to sleep 15+ hours and skip all my meds in the morning and feel like complete shit the rest of the day.

2 hours ago, sming said:

No good suggestions unfortunately, compatriot*. Actually, one severe and/or crap suggestion is to get yourself on a med/meds that cause early waking. Due to my regimen, I involuntarily wake up - like wide awake - between 4 and 6 a.m. no matter how tired I was nor how late I stayed up (although I'm always in bed by 7pm because there's no point in being awake once my Adderall doses are done). But this is merely shifting the problem forward a few hours actually i.e. I go to sleep stupid early because of my depression and you get up stupid late because of your depression ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

On weekends, when I don't "have to" be at work (and I appreciate I'm lucky to be able to hold down a job), I struggle with the "futility & uselessness of life" all the more. In between kid-juggling (I have kids. I do not have a weirdo hobby of literally juggling kids or anything), I lay in bed, because sitting up is too much effort. I stare at the wall or sky most the day because I can't think of a single thing that I want to do. With any luck, I fall asleep.

Life. Fucking. Sucks.

* That's a crap joke that only other Welsh people will get.

The more I read your posts, the more I feel I can identify with you. I've always thought our issues were similar, but here lately I've really begun to analyze my issues more closely instead of passively living through them just go get through the day. I don't know if that is worth anything, but maybe if one of us finds something that works, maybe we can pass it on to the other and see if it works for the other too.

3 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Ever Tried melatonin? 

I agree with using melatonin to help shift your bedtime backwards (sleep phasing I believe it's called?) It can be very beneficial in this manner and you only really need tiny doses (like 1 mg at the most).

15 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Good God, my habitual oversleeping is worsening.....I literally cannot get up before 11am. I know this is probably due to the fact that yes, I'm depressed and do not have anything of purpose at the moment to wake up for.....PLUS winter weather that's dark as Hell.....PLUS on a stupid stimulant break, until I can get in to see pdoc in 5 days.

I tried a sunlamp thing in the past and it made me headachey & irritable. Even when I go for walks during the day, it doesn't help.

There are some really annoying, but good, alarm apps out there. I don't know if you're Android or IOS or if the app is cross-platform, but I use an app called Alarmy. I even went for the paid version. You can set up things like really loud, annoying alarms, have it make you do math before it'll shut off or shake it a lot or scan a barcode (so you use a barcode in the kitchen by the coffee or something). And with the paid version you can set up things so you sabotage it like not being able to turn off the alarm X minutes before it goes off, can't delete the alarm or uninstall the app, won't let you restart the phone, etc. 

14 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Also, for daytime sleepiness, have you considered asking your pdoc about Provigil or Nuvigil?...They are not classed as "stimulants", but are classed as "wakefulness-promoting" agents.

It's not  "sleepiness" It's more of a psychic lethargy, a way of behavioral avoidance, like I just want to waste the day because otherwise, I can't find anything enjoyable to do to pass the time. Laying in bed is just an escape. I often lay there for hours (not sleeping)

Maybe taking Provigil to get up earlier will help with a routine wake/sleep schedule, but I'm not sure it will alleviate this soul-sucking emptiness I have all day.

14 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Ever Tried melatonin? 

Yep. Melatonin helps you sleep and makes me feel nearly drunk in the morning. Even 1mg gives me a grogginess the next day... I don't have any trouble sleeping, I don't have sleep apnea or anything. I tried to go to bed earlier last night (9pm) Unfortunately, a car alarm awoke me at midnight and I could not go back to sleep for 2 hours. Then when my alarm went off at 8:30am, I thought "why am I getting up at 8:30am, I have nothing to do and nowhere to go...." so I hit snooze several times until I get unbearable hunger pangs.

7 hours ago, psychwardjesus said:

There are some really annoying, but good, alarm apps out there. I don't know if you're Android or IOS or if the app is cross-platform, but I use an app called Alarmy. I even went for the paid version. You can set up things like really loud, annoying alarms, have it make you do math before it'll shut off or shake it a lot or scan a barcode (so you use a barcode in the kitchen by the coffee or something). And with the paid version you can set up things so you sabotage it like not being able to turn off the alarm X minutes before it goes off, can't delete the alarm or uninstall the app, won't let you restart the phone, etc. 

God, this would get me so angry and miserable. Pure Torture. I need to change up my morning routine or have something to look forward to....I just don't know what. My mornings are like Groundhog day. And its like my motivation & reward mechanism is completely destroyed.....Wahhhhhh I want my Ritalin. I just hope it still works when I start up again.

Edited by Blahblah

I am sleepy all of the time. I sleep in unless I have obligations.  Then, I manage to make some coffee and push through it.  You are depressed. That can be harder than my fatigue. And, you are out of your stimulant.

if you made plans to do things earlier, could you get up?

Do you want to change? I ask because I usually have one day on the weekend where I recharge and sleep all day. Some people think that may not be a good thing, but it works for me. Is your sleeping causing problems?

16 minutes ago, confused said:

I am sleepy all of the time. I sleep in unless I have obligations.  Then, I manage to make some coffee and push through it.  You are depressed. That can be harder than my fatigue. And, you are out of your stimulant.

if you made plans to do things earlier, could you get up?

Do you want to change? I ask because I usually have one day on the weekend where I recharge and sleep all day. Some people think that may not be a good thing, but it works for me. Is your sleeping causing problems?

I don't have any major obligations  (I mean I don't have a  job right now, no friends, no regular activities)...There are things like cleaning, grocery shopping, errands that I procrastinate on and (they just aren't enough to fill up an entire day). So I put all of it off for as long as possible.

If I have important appointments or meeting, yes I can actually force myself to get up. Even if it means I'm sprinting to get out the door on time. I'm always running late and it's a horrible habit.

I think allowing 1 weekend day for napping & sleeping is fine. Problem is, it is really unhealthy to lay around inside literally all day long. No exercise. Avoiding showering, preparing proper meals, etc. just to lay in bed, comfortable, in a foggy, indifferent daze. It is really becoming a major problem because I need to look for & get a job. I need to start developing healthy routines again asap, otherwise I will not be able to sustain a normal working life! I'll get myself fired within weeks.

• Like 1

Thank you for the explanation

This may be silly. but do you like music?  I have trouble getting in the shower, so I play music to help get me going.

I would wait until you get your stimulant to make changes, so it will maybe be a little easier. JMO

Can you hold off on the job until you get some routines in place? or is that an immediate need.?

I do work part-time and that is one thing that I force myself to do is to be there on time (my schedule is a little flexible with my start time).  I was not sure if I would be able to do it.

I thought I saw you write something above about planning something you enjoy that you would get up for.  I like that idea. 

Would you be interested in finding an activity in your area? I have had some success with meet-up.

I hope you find something that helps you to get up and do some of those things: showering, going outside, being with people

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blahblah said:

I need to change up my morning routine or have something to look forward to....

I have the same problem. Can't get myself out of bed in the morning, unless I HAVE to. i.e. job, appointment, whatever.

But I have days that I purposely keep clear because so many things stress me out and the idea of a clear day seems like heaven.

On those days I linger in bed, I read my phone, I go over my dreams obsessively, I toss and turn and crawl into the sheets.

The ONLY thing that gets me up and out of bed is very simple...making my morning cup of tea, a nice detective/science fiction/horror book, and plopping down in my clutter free comfortable reading room. Knowing I can fix the tea (sometimes coffee) grab my book, and sit, gets me up and out of the covers. I have the kitties to play with, my Macbook Air to read gossip and news stories, piles of books I plan to read and don't (Touched With Fire, A New Earth, How To Do Nothing, Creativity and Mental Illness) and sometimes the sun coming in the window. It is only later in the day, when I am down the rabbit hole, do I beat myself up about this routine. Calling myself lazy and boring. But the reality is, this simple routine is my ticket to life. 

• Like 1

I find that staying in bed is literally toxic for me. The more I stay in bed, the worse I get and the more I decline in condition. Staying cooped up in the house and socially isolating myself is just as toxic.

I have found that no matter how bad I feel, taking a shower always helps me feel at least a little better, especially if I haven't showered in days (which is usually the case). It's just a matter of motivating myself to get laundry done to have clean clothes to change into, and then getting myself in the shower (for some reason I hate getting and being wet now... but after I'm clean, it isn't an issue at all...).

Finding something to do with friends helps me too, whether I want to get out of the house or not. Maybe they come visit me, maybe the pry me out the door, it depends on my needs. Maybe all we do is just go out and window shop at electronics stores... Maybe we just drive around and not really do anything in particular. Just getting out sometimes is just what I need whether I realize it or not.

Another thing that is toxic is letting my room clutter up, which I am the worst about doing. My room right now is deplorable, but it's not as it was at its very worst. One of my best friends usually has to help me tackle cleaning it because I can't do it on my own—I lack the willpower and strength.

I have been told to try meditating. I've never been able to meditate successfully before, but I have a CD my tdoc gave me with some guided meditations, and a book my ex-boyfriend recommended for me on the basics of meditation. I haven't delved into it yet, but I can let you know what its name and author is if you're interested.

7 hours ago, water said:

I have the same problem. Can't get myself out of bed in the morning, unless I HAVE to. i.e. job, appointment, whatever.

But I have days that I purposely keep clear because so many things stress me out and the idea of a clear day seems like heaven.

On those days I linger in bed, I read my phone, I go over my dreams obsessively, I toss and turn and crawl into the sheets.

The ONLY thing that gets me up and out of bed is very simple...making my morning cup of tea, a nice detective/science fiction/horror book, and plopping down in my clutter free comfortable reading room. Knowing I can fix the tea (sometimes coffee) grab my book, and sit, gets me up and out of the covers. I have the kitties to play with, my Macbook Air to read gossip and news stories, piles of books I plan to read and don't (Touched With Fire, A New Earth, How To Do Nothing, Creativity and Mental Illness) and sometimes the sun coming in the window. It is only later in the day, when I am down the rabbit hole, do I beat myself up about this routine. Calling myself lazy and boring. But the reality is, this simple routine is my ticket to life. 

Your morning sounds lovely. I do look forward to coffee (usually) but lately it doesn't have any awakening effect. I just have a tiny room/studio (like a cell) so it's not healthy for me to stay cooped up in here all day long. When I'm in these states, reading doesn't even engage me...and I have no pets sadly... All I have to "look forward" to doing is working on my CV, searching for jobs (yuck) or forcing myself to get exercise. I just have no motivation, energy or ability to sustain....

5 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

I find that staying in bed is literally toxic for me. The more I stay in bed, the worse I get and the more I decline in condition. Staying cooped up in the house and socially isolating myself is just as toxic.

I have found that no matter how bad I feel, taking a shower always helps me feel at least a little better, especially if I haven't showered in days (which is usually the case). It's just a matter of motivating myself to get laundry done to have clean clothes to change into, and then getting myself in the shower (for some reason I hate getting and being wet now... but after I'm clean, it isn't an issue at all...).

Finding something to do with friends helps me too, whether I want to get out of the house or not. Maybe they come visit me, maybe the pry me out the door, it depends on my needs. Maybe all we do is just go out and window shop at electronics stores... Maybe we just drive around and not really do anything in particular. Just getting out sometimes is just what I need whether I realize it or not.

Another thing that is toxic is letting my room clutter up, which I am the worst about doing. My room right now is deplorable, but it's not as it was at its very worst. One of my best friends usually has to help me tackle cleaning it because I can't do it on my own—I lack the willpower and strength.

I have been told to try meditating. I've never been able to meditate successfully before, but I have a CD my tdoc gave me with some guided meditations, and a book my ex-boyfriend recommended for me on the basics of meditation. I haven't delved into it yet, but I can let you know what its name and author is if you're interested.

Taking a shower does help somewhat (although it doesn't always get me out of the house).... Sometimes if it's not too rainy or awful, I go out for lunch or wander, go to a museum or do some aimless window shopping, but then I get overwhelmed with this purposelessness. I would love to have a close friend to meet up with weekly, but I don't (big city living). There are too many things to do here, everyone has insanely busy lives, major FOMO, no time for new friends.

I know I should just get active and do things alone, there's no shortage of things to do here, but that sucks after awhile (having no one to experience things with). I'd rather cozy up away from the world in my bed these days. Meetups are so draining, I'm a bit of an introvert and I absolutely hate the introductory "where are you from, what do you do" questions over & over. It's unbearably tiresome for me. Exact same conversation round & round again, and then the friendship doesn't evolve anyway.

Then comes the shame "I suck, I'm lazy, unemployed, depressed people like me are so boring....I'll never be able to hold a job again...or be like these normal people..." self talk.

Edited by Blahblah
  • Sad 2

I do look forward to coffee (usually) but lately it doesn't have any awakening effect.

That's a beginning! 

What can you add to that? Something that most of the time gives you pleasure. Writing in a journal? Doodling? Drawing? Learning how to play a harmonica? Maybe create a topic on Crazybooards "Can't Get Out Of Bed Because..." and write on that everyday. I had no idea this small routine was important until I stopped getting the NYTimes. The newspaper in that blue bag got get me out of bed. When it wasn't delivered I panicked. Then after years and years stopped the service and I was bereft. When my husband left, the morning routine became immensely important. In the summer I sit on the porch. In the winter...I was worrit. There was no real reading chair. My sister gave me my fathers old chair and I found a safe place. 

Today is one of those 'clear' days, but I am supposed to go to the gym. Woke up with a migraine, could NOT get out of bed. Had very weird vampiresh dreams. Really really dont want to go to the gym and as of this moment, I remain undecided. But nonetheless, if I don;t go, I REFUSE to beat myself up about it. 

I do volunteer work for Freecycle which is all on the computer. So I am going to do an application and listen to Oprah and Eckart Tolle podcast on The New Earth. 

Then comes the shame

THIS is exactly what I fight everyday, every moment, every hour. What I am focusing on in therapy. I am NOT good enough. NOTHING I DO IS EVERY GOOD ENOUGH. My new therapist wants to do EMDR. She believes this comes from my past, my parents, my fucked up house.  

I named my critical voice Phyllis, my mothers middle name. But I believe Phyllis has different parts. And, my therapist said something that stunned me. I created Phyllis as a child to help me parent myself. But now as an adult, she is not needed, in fact is severely in my way. Tdoc suggested I EMBRACE her. Ha! Trying to do that. No matter how much I read. (The New Earth has a ton about this voice, Tolle calls it The Pain Body), that voice is still there. I think the only thing that helps is learning to distance myself, when she attacks, instead of crumbling, say to myself, "Oh! There is that voice again, there is myself telling myself I am shit." 

My coffee is cold, now what? One hour, one minute at a time....

I have the same issue, and even when trying to go to sleep earlier I either still oversleep or end up staying awake laying in bed not able to sleep until early morning hours (2-4am). And when ever I do wake up early/on-time I just go right back to sleep, like I know I should get up but I just decide screw it lets sleep til 1PM today. 

Here lately I've barely been able to get up just past 11AM which is getting closer to my goal of waking up at 8AM. I'm going to continue to try to get to sleep earlier (been heading to bed around 9-10PM), and I feel like somehow my diet might be influencing this a bit so I've taken to eating a bit more throughout the day to see if that helps. 

Over the years, I’ve done different things. For me, getting up at the same time every morning is the key. Messing with my bedtime doesn’t help at all. Once I force myself to the early rising time it resets me and gets to be my new biorhythm. Ah, but how to get there, that’s the issue, and whether my sleep biology is like yours. Well that I don’t know but I’ve suffered the inability to get up before noon as well as working nights and sleeping 20 hrs daily on my days off. I’ll tell you what I do and if it doesn’t work for you, toss the ideas. 

I can barely get up in the dark. So at my chosen time I turn on a light. That helps but the gradual sunrise alarms just annoy me. I’ve also used the vibration under the pillow alarms sold for the deaf. Multiple alarms are key, usually 3, at least one requiring getting out of bed to silence it.   Then I have coffee premade from the night before, because making coffee first thing is too demanding. And then sheer resolve that I feel it’s necessary helps. Of course now I have a dog who barks at his breakfast time and noses me to get up, as an additional thing. I hear exercise helps, I wouldn’t know. I’ve never used melatonin and don’t trust it so no experience to share there. I would say it takes maybe up to a week to reset myself and it’s super painful until then. Even now I don’t like getting up but I can. Also, I found I have a “reset” time, if I’m not up by then my body wants to get into super sleepy mode and stay in bed forever. I don’t know if any of this helps because it’s not the norm, but I put it out because it’s life changing for me. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you @sugarsugar I seriously need to work hard on resetting my sleep/wake schedule!! haven't had a full-time job in ages, so my routine is different every day. I hate mornings. I will try some of the things you have suggested! I'm desperate to try anything I've dealt with this sort of problem all my life, no matter how early I go to bed!