CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone taken Contrave or Qysmia for Wight Loss?

shesellsseashells

Hi there.  I had a little slip with my weight loss and gained a few pounds.  I have an event coming up in May for which I'd like to lose 20-25 pounds.  ( I need to lose the weight anyway, and I think that's a good goal.)  I've lost 34 pounds on my own and with Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem, but I'm getting bored of the food.

I did some research about diet pills and came up with Contrave (Naltrexone and buproprion) and Qsymia (phentermine and Topimirate).  I've taken some of those meds individually.  I'm planning to talk with my pdoc, since those meds are combinations of psych meds.  Has anyone had experience with Contrave or Qsymia, or another weight loss med?  Thanks for your time.

I’ve tried phentermine. I drank weight loss shakes (OPTIFAST) which is a very low calorie diet. I lost 20kg/40lbs. It was pretty easy. I just need the doc to prescribe it again so I can lose more. No side effects and I didn’t feel like I was taking a stimulant.

Thanks for sharing that with me, mcjimjam.  My pdoc won't write me a prescription for weight loss meds.  I have an appointment with my PCP on Monday.  If he won't help me, I may buy Contrave from the manufacturer as they will write a prescription and send me the meds after I speak with one of their doctors via videochat.  I'll also look into the Optifast angle.  Thanks again.

On 1/23/2020 at 1:42 PM, mcjimjam said:

I’ve tried phentermine. I drank weight loss shakes (OPTIFAST) which is a very low calorie diet. I lost 20kg/40lbs. It was pretty easy. I just need the doc to prescribe it again so I can lose more. No side effects and I didn’t feel like I was taking a stimulant.

Thanks for sharing that with me, mcjimjam.  My pdoc won't write me a prescription for weight loss meds.  I have an appointment with my PCP on Monday.  If he won't help me, I may buy Contrave from the manufacturer as they will write a prescription and send me the meds after I speak with one of their doctors via videochat.  I'll also look into the Optifast angle.  Thanks again.

Edited by shesellsseashells
error

I looked into Qsymia. I went to a weight loss center that would prescribe it, but my insurance only covers over a certain bmi and I was obese, but not to that extent. It was too expensive for me to buy myself. It is a combo of topomax and phentermine. I tried just topomax but I did not like the way it made me feel. (agitated and stupid).

On 1/25/2020 at 1:46 PM, confused said:

I looked into Qsymia. I went to a weight loss center that would prescribe it, but my insurance only covers over a certain bmi and I was obese, but not to that extent. It was too expensive for me to buy myself. It is a combo of topomax and phentermine. I tried just topomax but I did not like the way it made me feel. (agitated and stupid).

Thanks confused.  Topomax didn't go over well with me, either.

• 3 weeks later...

I started Contrave (naltrexone/bupropion) the other week and am halfway titrating up to the full dose.  I've been a bit less concerned about food, but Contrave has definitely helped improve my mood.  I'll report back with (hopefully) weight loss results once I'm on the maintenance dose.

@mcjimjam  I have an appointment with a local hospital's weight loss clinic where I could purchase Optifast.  It's the only location in my state that sells it.  My insurance doesn't cover it, but the clinic has an array of programs and they'll need to determine which one they recommend for me before they can tell me the self-pay cost.  I found Optifast being sold on eBay, but there is no telling whether it's real or no.  It appears that Optifast is only sold officially at hospitals in my area in the US.  I think it may be sold differently in Australia.  Did you feel that it dramatically improved your weight loss results?  I am trying to lose 18 pounds (8.16466 kgs) by April 30.  (I have more weight that I need to lose, but that's my goal to fit into a particular dress.)  Thanks for your help.

I tried Contrave and it did nothing for me whatsoever except give me very bad nausea (as bupropion is wont to do to me). Hopefully your experience will be better. Best of luck to you!

As an alternative, they're researching the combination of the combination of zonisamide (Zonegran) and bupropion (Wellbutrin) for weight loss (called "Empactic", but it sure has been in development for a very long time... doesn't look as if it will come out any time soon if at all). It may be a possibility to try if Contrave doesn't yield any results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion/zonisamide